Yay! Completed First Docking Mission (Career Mode)

Rocketology

I received my first orbital station and docking contracts, cool, let's do this! Launch up a simple "station" then launch the rendezvous rocket. As I am approaching I realize something; I forgot RCS, on both craft.

Well Dres, that sucks.

Revert flight? Nope. I ask myself, what would Jebadiah do?

So I set operator head space and timing, calibrated the ol' Mk I Eyeball and:

(Just had to share)

wxVyMIG.png

I received my first orbital station and docking contracts, cool, let's do this! Launch up a simple "station" then launch the rendezvous rocket. As I am approaching I realize something; I forgot RCS, on both craft.

Well, this couldn't have been easy. How difficult was it?

Pre-1.x a lot of folks were doing minimalistic ion ships to Joolian moons - as I recall a significant number of them left the RCS behind. I find docking without entirely possible for small ships (once the magnets kick in, smaller is better), but past 10 tons or so I find myself really wanting RCS.

One big point on that is to have very low TWR on final approaches. You really don't want to kick in a couple of G's when you're only a few dozen meters away, and I've accidentally bumped 'Z' more than once under those conditions :mad:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.