Squadcast Summary 2015/11/19 - Dr. Turkey I Presume?

Superfluous J

Every 15 minutes I drop a time stamp, so if you can find a spot in the video more easily. Something in "quotes" means it was directly said, though I frequently don't bother with that. [brackets] are those rare times where the accent barrier keeps me from understanding something, or I want to say an aside about something Dr.Turkey said about KSP development. [COLOR="#008000"]Green text is descriptions of what the good Doctor is doing in the game, with asides and commentary by me where I feel the desire[/COLOR]. If you want to watch the episode yourself, you can find it at [url]http://www.twitch.tv/ksptv/profile/past_broadcasts[/url]

Squadcast was just over an hour.
0:00
Kasper co-hosted with Dr Turkey.
Dr. Turkey will not put his mug on the cam.
D.T. seems to be a self-censoring swearer. Which I can FREAKING appreciate.
The actual video started at 7:00
They're in the office, and there are noises in the background.
He's a Sips fan. As am I. He was infuriated by Sips' KSP play. As was I.
[COLOR="#008000"]He starts a fresh Career Mode on Moderate difficulty.
He was going to do Science but the chat got him to switch.
Good choice, IMO. You are showcasing the game after all.
He takes some contracts and heads to the VAB.
Typical first ship.[/COLOR]

15:00
Not much to disclose today.
Q: How much have you played?
A: A lot, "I'm just supremely bad at games."
[COLOR="#008000"]He launches, without having done his launchpad science.
He does no science in the air either.
He also ALMOST fails to pull the chute. He does so about 1700m off the ground, accelerating downward to 235m/s.
He slows down to 10m/s at about 160m :D
THEN he does the science. And recovers.[/COLOR]
Q: How did QA miss the fairing collision?
A: (Kasper) QA teams and Experimental test teams focus on a lot of things. And they're small groups. And they are volunteers. If 50 people are testing things like OS specific functions they literally can't test everything.
[COLOR="#008000"]He got his 2 contracts, so he takes "Escape the atmosphere" and "Haul a parachute into flight," which is one of the new ones.[/COLOR]
They discuss KasperVld's username. Which FTR I thought was "KasperVID" for a surprisingly long time.
[COLOR="#008000"]New lanch, crazy ship with way too many solids. 3 RT-10s and an RT-5.
He stages the 3 RT-10s, an dwhen they burn out he's at 10km going 840m/s.
The RT-5 gets him to an Ap of about 62km, so no "space" contract.
He was going too fast for the parachute contract, so he didn't get it either.
And he's plummeting to the ground.
Luckily the boosters had so much drag he slowed down just fine.[/COLOR]

30:00
[COLOR="#008000"]The chute flips him around but he's otherwise fine.
And he even got the parachute contract.
He opts to get more solid rockets.
Rocket #3 uses a LF upprer stage and a decoupler to make the stage an actual stage.
He also has a LF lower stage.
He "launches."
He throttles all the way up, and actually launches.
He reaches SPAAAAAAAAAACE.
He's going 1.8km/s straight up.[/COLOR]

45:00
[COLOR="#008000"]He uses time warp, goes too fast, tops out at about 400km, falls back, and hits atmo at the same 1.8km/s. Then he ditches the upper stage, leaving just the pod, 2 goos, and a very scared-looking parachute.
This could be a problem.
It is a problem. At 19km the pod explodes, killing Jeb.
Nathan in chat suggests he launch more sideways. Good idea :D
Phoicca Kerman is hired.[/COLOR]
Dr. Turkey takes a phone call, about 2:30. Sadly he needs to get back to the call. Though there are still over 10 minutes left in the video.
[COLOR="#008000"]He launches Phoicca, tilts a bit.
He sees fire, panics, flips the ship over, and THEN throttles down.
He still manages to reach space, though the contract was already gotten when Jeb died.
He does get some science though.
The ship comes back down at a sedate speed, and with plenty of fuel to slow down...[/COLOR]

1:00:00
[COLOR="#008000"]He kicks away the fuel he had brought down, and panics because he didn't burn. Should be fine though.
He has a habit of closing the navball so I can't tell the speed very well, but he's fine.
Phoicca splashes down with no issues.
He buys heat shields and radial decouplers.[/COLOR]
Squadcast will always be Thursdays at 6pm Eastern.
Note: I'll not be able to recap them until Friday, hopefully afternoon but possibly evening, or Saturday even if I'm busy.

Dayum, the new Squadcast time means I definitely won't be able to catch it live... Previously, it's been on at midnight Friday night my time which could be doable except I have to get up at 7am Saturday for a 10+ hour shift so unless I was very not tired, I could watch it, but Thursdays, I don't even [U]finish[/U] work until like at 6.15pm Eastern (11.15pm GMT), add on a 30 minute commute and I'm home and at the computer just in time to watch it finish at midnight.

TL;DR - with this new time, I am completely unable to watch it live. Not that it matters, HV is doing a grand job at recapping it :)

Talking of which, I should check this out - first major appearance of the good Doctor. Thanks HV for the summary!

[quote name='ThatGuyWithALongUsername']Hold on. Is that thread title a reference to something?[/QUOTE]
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Livingstone[/url]
[quote]David Livingstone was a Scottish Congregationalist pioneer medical missionary with the London Missionary Society and an explorer in Africa. His meeting with H. M. Stanley on 10 November 1871 gave rise to the popular quotation "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?"[/quote]

[quote name='5thHorseman']
Q: How did QA miss the fairing collision?
A: (Kasper) QA teams and Experimental test teams focus on a lot of things. And they're small groups. And they are volunteers. If 50 people are testing things like OS specific functions they literally can't test everything.
[/QUOTE]

What's all this then?

[QUOTE]Q: How did QA miss the fairing collision?
A: (Kasper) QA teams and Experimental test teams focus on a lot of things. And they're small groups. And they are volunteers. If 50 people are testing things like OS specific functions they literally can't test everything.[/QUOTE]
Again shows that they should just give everyone a opportunity to use the beta build instead of just a elite group of big youtubers like now that mostly only care about getting the views and not actually filing bug reports.

[quote name='boxman']Again shows that they should just give everyone a opportunity to use the beta build instead of just a elite group of big youtubers like now that mostly only care about getting the views and not actually filing bug reports.[/QUOTE]

That was proven in the past to be a fiasco.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.