The Eve-UN - An Eve Vector-based lander and orbit return craft

Foxster

Ever since 1.0.5 was released I have wanted to use the new Vector engine for an Eve craft. Well, it took some doing but here we have the results...

[B]The Eve-UN[/B]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hScNc46.jpg[/IMG]

[imgur]MOKrd[/imgur]

Craft file: [URL]https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv1tjqyc1a1p9q0/Eve%20shuttle%2016.craft?dl=0[/URL]

This ~50t stock craft will aerocapture at Eve from interplanetary speeds (Pe of 62km recommended), aerobrake to a landing after a pass or two and then land on 'chutes alone. It can achieve up to a 105km orbit from sea level (try starting the gravity turn at 33km). Thanks to the gimbal of the Vector engine, the lift from Eve is pretty smooth. Edited by Foxster

Yeah great ! I used to have problems with your other Eve orbiter, because the lack of gimbal on aerospikes makes vertical ascent hard to make at the begining if you don't land on a perfectly flat plain.

EDIT : Example of hard to redress situation :
[IMG]http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/48/1448314712-2015-11-23-00007.jpg[/IMG]

Made it back with only 300 m/s remaining, I'm not a very good pilot :D
I think I should have been more agressive in my GT because I wasn't crtical on the temperature side at any point.
Or maybe I should have reduce the thrust at the begining more than I did, this thing have a suprising high TWR for an Eve ship. Edited by Tatonf

Ooooh, neat!
I tried to do something like this when I discovered that Vectors work about as well as Aerospikes at high pressures (something I suspect is going to be nerfed, but that's a topic for another time), but try as I might I couldn't quite hack it. Putting enough fuel on the ship to get any significant use out of them meant making it so heavy it wouldn't take off, and adding enough to get it off the ground meant it burned up its fuel too fast xD

[quote name='parameciumkid']Ooooh, neat!
I tried to do something like this when I discovered that Vectors work about as well as Aerospikes at high pressures (something I suspect is going to be nerfed, but that's a topic for another time), but try as I might I couldn't quite hack it. Putting enough fuel on the ship to get any significant use out of them meant making it so heavy it wouldn't take off, and adding enough to get it off the ground meant it burned up its fuel too fast xD[/QUOTE]Yup, sounds something like the design process I ran through here. The first craft were pretty huge and it was a matter of tinkering until I could get something workable and then making it compact.

[quote name='Foxster']Lord knows. What's even more odd is that if you rotate them through 180° they work even better.[/QUOTE]

Oh man.... Why are aircraft parts so broken.. Still so much that is counter intuitive and just flat out wrong. Has anyone informed squad of this?

[quote name='Foxster']Lord knows. What's even more odd is that if you rotate them through 180° they work even better.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, they should fix things like this. Or is this intentionally, for something like when you use them as tailcones? I don´t know, it just seems wrong.
And yeah, an intake should never have less drag than an intake. Somebody fix this, please.

The craft is nice, Foxster. Well done!

That IS impressive. Great use of the Vector out of its normal situation by the way. You can't pick fault with Eve orbit-return craft. Getting it there may prove challenging, but a few modifications and it can be launched in stages.

A great craft there!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.