Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

10 minutes ago, rlin said:

Did they have to find the zeros on the days since a deadly incident chart?

Technically, no. While this was indeed a deadly incident, it was no accident...

6 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

wait..... who spoke that last sentence???  

It can't be... can it????? 

Surely there aren't a lot of characters who would call Gene "dear"...or have a Command Lime speech balloon trimmed in gold... and surely at this point Kerbfleet will be bringing ALL the awesome, so yeah. :D 

2 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Technically, no. While this was indeed a deadly incident, it was no accident...

Surely there aren't a lot of characters who would call Gene "dear"...or have a Command Lime speech balloon trimmed in gold... and surely at this point Kerbfleet will be bringing ALL the awesome, so yeah. :D 

WOOOHOOOOO!!!  This is getting good!!!  

...and don't call me Shirley!!!  :D

Just when I read the part where

Spoiler

Micarooni station explodes

my girlfriend started playing the "Leaving Earth" soundtrack from Mass Effect on her piano. Goosebumps. But I'm not too terrified - someone shirley has a plan. 

Wow, with only 11 seconds between the first panel and the Mortingale getting hit - that is one close enemy, or was it aimed at that part first, just a later projectile.  Shirley that should of been hit first, to leave them stranded if the rest of the strike failed?

Also, I really would like to see how the kerbals will retaliate. 

A reaction drive's efficiency as a weapon is in direct proportion to its efficiency as a drive.

And with plenty of NTRs on kerbfleet vessels.....

3 minutes ago, 1101 said:

A reaction drive's efficiency as a weapon is in direct proportion to its efficiency as a drive.

And with plenty of NTRs on kerbfleet vessels.....

Exhaust velocities of roughly 8km/s, and a thrust of 60kN. That's 240MW of thrust power. Pretty weak as far as weapons-grade lasers go, and this is a particle beam. The particles are going too slow to cause bremsstrahlung, so all the energy is in the thermal band. It would be quite effective against Kerbfleet's nonexistent armor, but might be less so against the probable plated hulls of the Kerbulans. Fuel boiloff (read: tanks exploding) might be the biggest source of damage, though it is unlikely that the exhaust would burn through metal plates because of the limitations of the NTR's core. Being a solid-core, the core temperature cannot exceed the melting point of its most melty member, and so neither can the jet to which it gives this heat. You might have to pull some failsafes to make LV-Ns viable weapons.

Also, what are we calling the Kerbulans' space force? For the Kerbals, we have Kerbfleet. But I don't recall an analog for their mirror.

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Exhaust velocities of roughly 8km/s, and a thrust of 60kN. That's 240MW of thrust power. Pretty weak as far as weapons-grade lasers go, and this is a particle beam. The particles are going too slow to cause bremsstrahlung, so all the energy is in the thermal band. It would be quite effective against Kerbfleet's nonexistent armor, but might be less so against the probable plated hulls of the Kerbulans. Fuel boiloff (read: tanks exploding) might be the biggest source of damage, though it is unlikely that the exhaust would burn through metal plates because of the limitations of the NTR's core. Being a solid-core, the core temperature cannot exceed the melting point of its most melty member, and so neither can the jet to which it gives this heat. You might have to pull some failsafes to make LV-Ns viable weapons.

Oh, I know that you really want more oomph for a decent Kzinti lesson.... but it was more what you could do in the game engine's damage system I had in mind.  I kind of had using a craft that would grab the enemy ship, then hold the NTR to it in mind. 

That being said, the description for the LV-N doesn't say it's solid core, and unless we assume it actually uses Hydrogen, which given KSP's LF doesn't conform to being H2, to get that 8km/s velocity with Kerosene*, could be a much hotter liquid/vapor core, maybe?

*I realise this would need a ridiculous temperature.

Edited by 1101

Personally I would rig up about 20 kickback boosters as impromptu ICBM's with fuel tanks on top. Nice and explody when it hits the Kerbulan fleets.

7 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Personally I would rig up about 20 kickback boosters as impromptu ICBM's with fuel tanks on top. Nice and explody when it hits the Kerbulan fleets.

Not very Kerbal, now is it? Too murder-dethy for them.

3 hours ago, 1101 said:

Will they retaliate? Or just take defensive measures? My bet is on the latter.

1 minute ago, Dman979 said:

Not very Kerbal, now is it? Too murder-dethy for them.

Will they retaliate? Or just take defensive measures? My bet is on the latter.

Well, handing out flowers and saying "Peace,dude!" ain't gonna work this time, ya hippie! :wink::D 

Desperation breeds necessity.

3 hours ago, GDJ said:

Well, handing out flowers and saying "Peace,dude!" ain't gonna work this time, ya hippie! :wink::D 

Desperation breeds necessity.

Hippie, shmipy. The Kerbals are unlikely to go against their core values so quickly. I mean, it's only been what, 48 minutes and 59 seconds since the KSC has been attacked, right? :D

Edited by Dman979

42 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Hippie, shmipy. The Kerbals are unlikely to go against their core values so quickly. I mean, it's only been what, 48 minutes and 59 seconds since the KSC has been attacked, right? :D

We'll leave that up to Kuzzler to mull over the "core values" as such.

53 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Hippie, shmipy. The Kerbals are unlikely to go against their core values so quickly. 

10 minutes ago, GDJ said:

We'll leave that up to Kuzzler to mull over the "core values" as such.

Well, it is an interesting debate isn't it? It's sort of why I'm writing this: what DOES happen when a cute and cuddly race of hapless explorers meets real conflict for the first time? One possibility: learn to fight, and to kill. The other: well, nothing comes easily to mind, does it? Hm, maybe I should just drop a big 'ol deus ex on the whole thing and send the Space Madness guys out on a grand tour or summat...

Not everyone at Kerbfleet is naive when it comes to the darker side of things. After all, there is a refugee from that world with them. He may or may not be the only one, but you'd have to think at some point he briefed the powers that be about the existence of the Kerbulans and how they act.

I also would not be surprised to learn that the peace and happiness ethos of Kerbin is a development that is not so old that it isn't part of their recorded history, much like how Vulcans in Star Trek have records of the time, about 2000 years previous, when their society was very violent and emotional. They didn't become all logical until the 'Great Awakening'.  And the Romulans are an offshoot of the Vulcans from that time. They rejected the teachings of Surak and left the culture to form their own.

So while most Kerbals really don't have a concept of violence, the few at the top of the command structure have to. After all, what is Gene intending to do after his epic zip? Go invite the bearded ones for koffee and to hug it out?  And he's the one who communicated to the rest of them about how someone is trying to 'make them dead'. Surely, someone else higher than him also has some knowledge.