[WIP][1.0.5][Beta 0.1.6] N.A.N.A Wildfire

kimiko

Beta 0.1.4 Out!

Download link at the top.

Changes:

-Splash damage fixed.
-G-force risk added.
-Dynamic Pressure risk added.
-Fixed threshold and volume for structural hazards (creaking sounds should be less frequent, and have lower volume).
-Added upper limit for structural hazards. Doesn't react to unreasonably high bending when decoupling and loading.

Please post some pictures if you have any : D

Edited by kimiko

Alright, here are some pics from a reentry. By the way, if you ever need pictures for your forum thread I would be more than happy to provide them. I have just about a thousand visual mods in my "Mod Dump" folder.

These pics aren't that great. I kinda just clicked the F1 button frantically because I didn't know when I would reach my ultimate demise. Hearing pieces of my broken ship fly past me and the sizzling sound of my ship slowly disintegrate into nothing was amazing. It makes reentry look and sound so much better, which is something I have always wanted.

My one complaint is the structural sound. It's poorly looped and hearing it over and over again gets irritating. But like I said, that's my only complaint.

7 hours ago, Sequinox said:

Alright, here are some pics from a reentry. By the way, if you ever need pictures for your forum thread I would be more than happy to provide them. I have just about a thousand visual mods in my "Mod Dump" folder.

These pics aren't that great. I kinda just clicked the F1 button frantically because I didn't know when I would reach my ultimate demise. Hearing pieces of my broken ship fly past me and the sizzling sound of my ship slowly disintegrate into nothing was amazing. It makes reentry look and sound so much better, which is something I have always wanted.

My one complaint is the structural sound. It's poorly looped and hearing it over and over again gets irritating. But like I said, that's my only complaint.

Thanks for providing! : D If you have some you think are good show-off material they would be more than welcome on top of the thread! : D

Beta 0.1.5 Released!

Download on top!

Changes:

- Various fixes
- Collisions are depreciated for structural hazards (Practically works about the same way).
- Wheels are excluded from structural hazards (Because they are wheels).
- Increased threshold for structural hazard sounds, and now have variable pitch. I.e. should sound less, and be less annoying!

16 hours ago, kimiko said:

Thanks for providing! : D If you have some you think are good show-off material they would be more than welcome on top of the thread! : D

Beta 0.1.5 Released!

Download on top!

Changes:

- Various fixes
- Collisions are depreciated for structural hazards (Practically works about the same way).
- Wheels are excluded from structural hazards (Because they are wheels).
- Increased threshold for structural hazard sounds, and now have variable pitch. I.e. should sound less, and be less annoying!

Awesome! I'll be doing some screenshotting later.

13 minutes ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Hmm, I wonder if the old KSO Phase IV firetruck could be configged to be able to actually put out fires for this. That would be amazing!

Also, seconded to ading Kerbal Krash and Destruction FX compatibility.

Actually, I think Destruction FX is public domain. BahamutoD said whoever wanted to work on it could release without even asking. So I think @kimiko might be able to use assets from it for Wildfire, as well as polishing up DFX code for those who don't want the murder-fire.

HIP HIP HOORAY! NOW I CAN HAVE MY VERY OWN APOLLO 1 TRAGEDY!

But seriously, I am only waiting to download this until development gets further along. I also have a few suggestions, and questions:

1. Can/ Will EVAd Kerbals catch on fire?

2.Make the risk factor a percentage

3. Instead of Probe cores lighting on fire and exploding, how about their wires melt first, and only catch on fire under extreme circumstances.

4. apply the distance from the sun to the chance of fire as well. I suggest using the same factor as the solar panels so you don't have to make a config for each planet.

5.remove space fires. Fire does not exist without a lot of oxygen, so don't have fires in space.

6. If at all possible, get any flight recordings of the apollo 1 crew dying (Yes i'm a terrible person) and make them play backwards when crewed command pods catch on fire.

Edited by Andem

5 hours ago, Andem said:

5.remove space fires. Fire does not exist without a lot of oxygen, so don't have fires in space.

6. If at all possible, get any flight recordings of the apollo 1 crew dying (Yes i'm a terrible person) and make them play backwards when crewed command pods catch on fire.

Since I can respond to these two I will, so without further ado.

5. Well, the only fires in space that I've had have involved fuel tanks (which have Oxidizer) and command pods (which have what is assumed to be an Earth-like atmosphere). There is also a massively increased chance of a vacuum fire putting itself out if the burning parts don't have oxidizing materials (read: air or Oxidizer). The "more details" spoiler in the OP mentions this (and more).

6. That is really, really morbid. I don't think I'd want to hear someone's dying words (reversed or not) every time a pod caught fire. More than anything that would just disturb me.

3 minutes ago, FungusForge said:

5. Well, the only fires in space that I've had have involved fuel tanks (which have Oxidizer) and command pods (which have what is assumed to be an Earth-like atmosphere). There is also a massively increased chance of a vacuum fire putting itself out if the burning parts don't have oxidizing materials (read: air or Oxidizer). The "more details" spoiler in the OP mentions this (and more).

6. That is really, really morbid. I don't think I'd want to hear someone's dying words (reversed or not) every time a pod caught fire. More than anything that would just disturb me.

OK, that makes sense.

also, it's supposed to be very morbid. I may be a terrible person, but i think too many people don't care about kerbals dying. THAT would get people to feel remorseful.

NOTE: I don't mean any disrespect to the Apollo 1 crew, it was a terrible tragedy and I apologize if you find the idea disrespectful or in bad taste.

New to the whole Kerbal world but learning fast.  I love this mod but I would like to submit a few problems and or bugs that I have found after installing and running some test.

The parts that are used in KAS need to be excluded from the N.A.N.A wildfire mod.  The problem is that when i use something like the grappling hook and or harpoon to the ground or another part they will begin smoking and then eventually burst into flames.  This then goes back into the reel and eventually will cause the entire assembly to explode thus causing a catastrophic failure of the entire craft piece by piece.  Cool to watch but very frustrating to see the entire ship explode because i tried to anchor to something.

The same thing can be seen with the KIS parts as well.  If a Kerbal has a container on its back and walks around the container will drag on the ground and begin smoking and eventually catch on fire then explode.  Our poor little green guy will get flung half way across Kerbal landing hard with a squeak.  (Very funny but then all the parts are destroyed in the container and also if the explosion is near the ship it will destroy it as well)

Is there anyway to exclude parts from the N.A.N.A mod?  

Also could someone please explain how the fire suppression works.  I have tried to suppress many fires but nothing happens.  I have the tanks and the water curtain nozzles but nothing will spray out and extinguish fires.  The Fire sound effects are very well done too lol.  Just sad to know that the second i here that i have little to no time left with my creation.

Thanks and have a great day.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2016 at 9:44 PM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Hmm, I wonder if the old KSO Phase IV firetruck could be configged to be able to actually put out fires for this. That would be amazing!

Also, seconded to ading Kerbal Krash and Destruction FX compatibility.

I actually thought of that myself, but thinking of it gameplay-vise it's a bit clunky to implement as most of the time things would probably explode before the firetruck would get there. Perhaps I could extend the time it takes for a fire to overheat a part, but that would subtract from the emergency-feeling, which is sort of the purpose of this mod.

Kerbal Krash is compatable, but it does not integrate with the damage and leaking variables.

Destruction FX is also compatable, but not integrated.

On 22/01/2016 at 10:05 PM, FungusForge said:

Actually, I think Destruction FX is public domain. BahamutoD said whoever wanted to work on it could release without even asking. So I think @kimiko might be able to use assets from it for Wildfire, as well as polishing up DFX code for those who don't want the murder-fire.

Yeah, Baha gave his permission to use it, but I haven't found an opportunity to use it yet.

On 25/01/2016 at 9:11 PM, NotAgain said:

I just loaded a spacecraft in orbit, and when I tried to use it's RCS to turn, the capsule caught fire! No collisions, no atmospheric heating, nothing, just a random fire! Why?

That sounds like it could be a bug. Would you care to elaborate?

Did the spacecraft glow blue at some points before the fire (and/or was there a creaking noise)?

How big was your ship? Did it wobble?

If you could post a picture of your ship as well, that would be great!

The mod will check for structural weakness, I.e. if the ship is wobble and flexes a fire (or electrical shortcut) may occur from that. Though it probably needs a bit of tweaking if your ship wasn't wobbling that much. If it wasn't because of wobbling, it could be some sort of bug.

On 26/01/2016 at 5:30 AM, Andem said:

HIP HIP HOORAY! NOW I CAN HAVE MY VERY OWN APOLLO 1 TRAGEDY!

But seriously, I am only waiting to download this until development gets further along. I also have a few suggestions, and questions:

1. Can/ Will EVAd Kerbals catch on fire?

2.Make the risk factor a percentage

3. Instead of Probe cores lighting on fire and exploding, how about their wires melt first, and only catch on fire under extreme circumstances.

4. apply the distance from the sun to the chance of fire as well. I suggest using the same factor as the solar panels so you don't have to make a config for each planet.

Sorry about the development speed, a bit busy lately trying make a living : P

1 Kerbals will not catch fire. Don't think that would contribute to the gameplay in any way, other than the spectacle : p

2. The risk factor is actually sort of a percentage. Every time there is an event that may cause fire, a dice from 0-100 is thrown, and if the dice number is less than the risk factor number a fire will occur.

3. Probe cores has a very low chance of anything happening to them, although, most of them have electric charge which means there is a battery inside which is flammable. If you drain the battery (e.g. in VAB etc.) the risk factor will lower considerably. Also if it should "catch fire" it will not actually catch fire, but short-circuit, so you will see only sparks (and smoke). It will drain electric charge, and probably "douse" itself quickly, unless you have something other flammable close by.

4. If you're close enough to the sun to overheat a part it will probably catch fire as well, as a fire likely to occur while overheating. If you're referring to "space weather", e.g. how hot it is on the sun-exposed parts, CMEs etc., I have been thinking about it, but likely not going to happen, as it would probably be too much "random" occurring fires, which I'm trying to avoid. Perhaps in the future.

5. As @FungusForge said (bellow). Fires in space will not occur unless it is connected to any oxidizing material. Although there is a small chance short-circuits may occur and cause overheating, but it will quickly disappear when in space. Also, the mod tries to predict fuel lines as well, so if there is an oxidizer line (or monoprop) going through the subjected part which normally would short-circuit, it will probably catch fire in stead.

6. That's a bit too much I think. Although I see your point about not caring too much about your kerbals. In fact players who doesn't care are probably not going to use this mod anyway. Since, it's the part about caring for your kerbals, and panicking about saving them when a fire occurs that makes this mod fun : p. And I do actually care for my kerbals! So much that I even use the Final Frontier mod : p. I also use mods like MKS and Extraplanetary Launchpads (which utilizes kerbals skill and exp) so I care even more!

At some stage though I am planning to have kerbal skill and experience level reduce the risk factor (for both flying and ground control (i.e. hired, but unused kerbals at KSC)) so then maybe we'll care a bit more : D

On 26/01/2016 at 10:46 AM, FungusForge said:

On 28/01/2016 at 2:30 AM, William516 said:

New to the whole Kerbal world but learning fast.  I love this mod but I would like to submit a few problems and or bugs that I have found after installing and running some test.

The parts that are used in KAS need to be excluded from the N.A.N.A wildfire mod.  The problem is that when i use something like the grappling hook and or harpoon to the ground or another part they will begin smoking and then eventually burst into flames.  This then goes back into the reel and eventually will cause the entire assembly to explode thus causing a catastrophic failure of the entire craft piece by piece.  Cool to watch but very frustrating to see the entire ship explode because i tried to anchor to something.

The same thing can be seen with the KIS parts as well.  If a Kerbal has a container on its back and walks around the container will drag on the ground and begin smoking and eventually catch on fire then explode.  Our poor little green guy will get flung half way across Kerbal landing hard with a squeak.  (Very funny but then all the parts are destroyed in the container and also if the explosion is near the ship it will destroy it as well)

Is there anyway to exclude parts from the N.A.N.A mod?  

Also could someone please explain how the fire suppression works.  I have tried to suppress many fires but nothing happens.  I have the tanks and the water curtain nozzles but nothing will spray out and extinguish fires.  The Fire sound effects are very well done too lol.  Just sad to know that the second i here that i have little to no time left with my creation.

Thanks and have a great day.

Bill

Thanks a lot for the bug report. I'll see to that getting fixed. It's probably because it mistakes KAS wires, tubes and such as "wobblyness".

The mod is implemented using Module Manager which applies the mod to all parts using the .cfg file (which opens in notepad). You can use the instructions here to exclude parts and mods. I am going to hardcode this for the next update though.

EDIT: check the first post for more info about how to edit the cfg file

Actually, the fire extinguisher and the water curtain have two different functions.

The fire extinguisher (tank) you attach to your craft, and then activate it. When activated it will automatically try to extinguish fires when it occurs, anywhere on the craft. Having it activated will drain a small amount of power.

The water curtain (with built in sparkler), or the "sound suppression system", is explained here or here or here. The sparkler can be seen here, and is used to burn off excessive fuel. In the game though, it's not that advanced, it just gives you a few seconds with halved risk factor, and it's a two-in-one part. Basically, you connect it to the launch clamp, and activate it (with staging) and launch after the long beep.

Edited by kimiko
info

2 hours ago, kimiko said:

That sounds like it could be a bug. Would you care to elaborate?

Did the spacecraft glow blue at some points before the fire (and/or was there a creaking noise)?

How big was your ship? Did it wobble?

If you could post a picture of your ship as well, that would be great!

The mod will check for structural weakness, I.e. if the ship is wobble and flexes a fire (or electrical shortcut) may occur from that. Though it probably needs a bit of tweaking if your ship wasn't wobbling that much. If it wasn't because of wobbling, it could be some sort of bug.

The spacecraft was one of my standard Felsto orbital single-seaters, relatively small low orbit ships.

There was no glowing, and I didn't have the sound on, so I wouldn't know if there was a creaking noise.

The ship weighed around three tons, and didn't wobble, but I do have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed.

It does, though, have a lot of mod parts involved.

Album:

Just ignore me playing around with Distant Object Enhancement.

20 minutes ago, NotAgain said:

The spacecraft was one of my standard Felsto orbital single-seaters, relatively small low orbit ships.

There was no glowing, and I didn't have the sound on, so I wouldn't know if there was a creaking noise.

The ship weighed around three tons, and didn't wobble, but I do have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed.

It does, though, have a lot of mod parts involved.

Album:

Just ignore me playing around with Distant Object Enhancement.

Thanks a lot! For that small of a ship it wouldn't seem to be some sort of a wobble/flexing problem, unless animated parts in a mod somehow changes the rotation of its attachment node in relation to its attached part it could cause it to catch fire. I don't recognize any mods like that on your craft though.

It was when you used RCS right? Did you turn on RCS right after it had loaded or did you wait a few seconds. ( I'm trying to figure out if the problem could have occurred because of the loading, or the RCS). A lot of weird things happens during vessel loading, before we see the actual scene.

There are only 5 events that can trigger a fire: overheating, connected part explodes, connected part is on fire, exhaust damage or flexing. And the usual suspect is flexing/wobble/rotation. So if it isn't that, perhaps you have a mod that causes RCS to have exhaust damage and it somehow hits the craft? Which part was it that caught fire?

3 minutes ago, kimiko said:

Thanks a lot! For that small of a ship it wouldn't seem to be some sort of a wobble/flexing problem, unless animated parts in a mod somehow changes the rotation of its attachment node in relation to its attached part it could cause it to catch fire. I don't recognize any mods like that on your craft though.

Does that mean that this mod will cause Infernal Robotics parts to spontaneously catch fire?

7 minutes ago, kimiko said:

It was when you used RCS right? Did you turn on RCS right after it had loaded or did you wait a few seconds. ( I'm trying to figure out if the problem could have occurred because of the loading, or the RCS). A lot of weird things happens during vessel loading, before we see the actual scene.

There are only 5 events that can trigger a fire: overheating, connected part explodes, connected part is on fire, exhaust damage or flexing. And the usual suspect is flexing/wobble/rotation. So if it isn't that, perhaps you have a mod that causes RCS to have exhaust damage and it somehow hits the craft? Which part was it that caught fire?

The main mod I used was Bluedog Design Bureau.

I turned on the RCS after my standard check-over to ensure that everything was OK, so a few seconds after.

The capsule was the bit that caught fire.

2 hours ago, NotAgain said:

The main mod I used was Bluedog Design Bureau.

I turned on the RCS after my standard check-over to ensure that everything was OK, so a few seconds after.

The capsule was the bit that caught fire.

I see! I'll look into it!

Just to make sure though, you are on the latest version right?

2 hours ago, Andem said:

Does that mean that this mod will cause Infernal Robotics parts to spontaneously catch fire?

Shouldn't be a problem with IR, although I haven't tried yet.

This is the effect I get when I switch on "ignore max temperature" in the cheat menu. A much more realistic spread of fire, almost engulfing the ship after a while. Without it, everything just explodes until just a debris field is left.

ZpYrDpJ.png

I have a few suggestions, it could make your mod even more interesting, I would certainly promote it for use in WW2 Warships and make fire control a central part in future multiplayer gameplay.

* Instead of parts blowing up fairly quickly, which still isn't realistic when looking at steel beams or any part without a pressurized resource, there could be a max to the temperature increase (like it is in real life) and instead have a prolonged fire, depleting any part of any resource except a user defined one (for example my mod uses the resource water which increases when the hull takes damage, decreasing buoyancy). A KKS leak in a fuel tank could increase the risk of a fire with 100-1000%, the magnitude of the fire based on how large the leak is and the type of resource. Rockets are a different deal but airplane fuel tanks filled with kerosene usually just burn, tanks filled with avgas might explode when almost empty.

* The ability to render specific part modules in specific parts inoperable ...  a spotlight might burn, not explode but it won't be functional until repaired. Same would be interesting for BDA weapons manager, SAS etc.

* More configuration options would be terrific.  Another nice one would be options to set the ignition temperature at a different level, for simulating different materials. For example my hull plating uses a very high thermalMassModifier to simulate armor against BDA damage. But I'd like some parts to start burning at 20% instead of 70%.

* If at all possible, fire and smoke effects should be directed away from a planet surface if atmospheric pressure >0.

* I'd like the possibility to exempt exhaust damage from the system, I use my own method of fire suppressing: I use ModuleEngineFX with a negative exhaust heat value. That's right, a modified rocket engine with a cryogenic blast. The log still shows it as damage though.

* Bug report: using Hyperedit to teleport ships causes some parts to overheat and explode, other parts start burning.

Edited by Azimech

I agree with @Azimech, The fires don't really spread very well. It would be better if the chance of spreading was way higher than it is now. I have tried to test it several times, and the fire puts itself out before any actual damage happens. That, and also ALL of the engines seem to spontaneously catch on fire when launching without the fire suppresion systems... I don't think a poodle and a fuel tank should just sppontaneously ignite on the launch pad... :wink:

On 20/02/2016 at 1:07 PM, Bluejay0013 said:

If Youre trying to use this mod with BD Armory, the n you will have a difficult time launching missiles as for some reason, the missiles launch but don't engage their engines. But guns and other stuff work fine just not missiles. 

Was just going to drop this in my bd armoury install its a shame they dont play nice together seams like a match made in heaven,just going to have to wait and hope it gets sorted

2 hours ago, BrutalRIP said:

Was just going to drop this in my bd armoury install its a shame they dont play nice together seams like a match made in heaven,just going to have to wait and hope it gets sorted

yeah well hopefully the developer will find a way to fix this, as im using Wildfire, Kerbal Krash System, and BD for amazing results

Speaking of Kerbal Kombat, would someone kindly test some basic stock weapon types for me? I want to see if it's a viable option, but my computer screen is shattered and dell is being sketchy with the warantee :confused:

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:07 AM, Andem said:

Speaking of Kerbal Kombat, would someone kindly test some basic stock weapon types for me? I want to see if it's a viable option, but my computer screen is shattered and dell is being sketchy with the warantee :confused:

What do you mean by stock weaponry? And if possible I can help, just tell me what data you need.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.