'Line of sight' in satellite contract

I took a contract to launch a keosynchronous satellite and one of the conditions is that I must put it in orbit in such a way that it maintains a line of sight to "Site XM-3D". Exactly how does one fulfill that?? I have the satellite in orbit and as far as I can tell it has a clear line of sight but the condition won't complete :(

zgGeE60mwE7HXLpt_0mups-V8bC9dgvu5c8T1xWR

5 hours ago, kurja said:

I took a contract to launch a keosynchronous satellite and one of the conditions is that I must put it in orbit in such a way that it maintains a line of sight to "Site XM-3D". Exactly how does one fulfill that?? I have the satellite in orbit and as far as I can tell it has a clear line of sight but the condition won't complete :(

Fortunately, there's a very simple trick for this.....

The sole difficulty in  putting a keosynchronous satellite in the desired place above a particular point on Kerbin is to put the maneuver node for the burn going from LKO to keosynchronous altitude at the right spot around the LKO orbit.  To figure out where to put the maneuver node, use this simple trick:

04 Kerbostationary Orbit Node Plotter

You do the same when you want to put the 1st RT satellite directly over KSC.  So in your case, put the long edge of the card on the line between the north pole and the contract spot on the ground, and put the node where the short edge of the card crosses your LKO.

Edited by Geschosskopf

Right, but the problem I'm having is that I do have a line of sight to the designated point on Kerbin yet the contract condition doesn't turn green. Is there more detailed info on this requirement, does the satellite have to be within some specific angle from straight above the designated point or something..? The contract just says that it need to be within line of sight but that alone obviously doesn't do the trick.

edit - I tweaked the orbit to get closer to directly above "XM-3D" and got the contract fulfilled. It needs to be quite close to directly above... "In line of sight" is just plain misleading :/

Edited by kurja

@kurja
The flaw is not in your satellite positioning but rather a bug in the contract system. I've experienced this problem myself and have seen several others struggle with it just like you.
For some reason the system does not properly recognize 'line-of-sight' and fails to complete the contract. But leaving the satellite and returning to it at a later moment reloads the scene and usually triggers all requirements like it should have done all along.

7 hours ago, kurja said:

edit - I tweaked the orbit to get closer to directly above "XM-3D" and got the contract fulfilled. It needs to be quite close to directly above... "In line of sight" is just plain misleading :/

Glad you got a workaround.  Have you reported it as a bug?  Seems like the kind of thing that Squad (especially @Arsonide ) would like documented, if it isn't already.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.