omelaw

KSP nightly build? (or krakenfield)

I know KSP isn't opensource and there is no real reason for make it, but...:rolleyes:

If this isn't on the "what not to suggest" list then it should be.  You haven't been around the forum very long and, presumably, haven't been playing the game for very many versions, or I expect you would have realised that this is basically the opposite of how Squad want to run their development process.  Firstly, not being open source is nothing to do with having or not having a nightly build.  Yes, a lot of larger open source projects do have nightly builds but they generally have a user base that is primarily made up of developers and other people that are able to provide useful feedback. Secondly, during large portions of the dev cycle there isn't a single version that has all the stuff being worked on and keeping one up to date and working well enough for a publicly released build (even a nightly clearly marked as unstable) would take a considerable amount of developer effort.  Thirdly, the QA and experimental phases use a restricted set of users to keep the quality of bug reporting high and the volume of other suggestions and other discussion/arguments about where something is going to a minimum.  Allowing everyone to run nightly dev builds would greatly increase the amount of useless bug reports that would need to be triaged and the forum would explode whenever anything happened in the build that was even slightly controversial.

• Like 6

Adding to the Common Suggestions thread as this and things like this are commonly suggested.

• Like 1

We had beta patches, but that didn't work out that well, so Squad went back to internal/closed QA.

I guess you could call the experimental builds this. Some people have access to these. They help squad