Is there an alternative to the Steam installation?

zKrieg

I own the steam copy but prefer not to use it and don't want the extra clutter of the steam files. As we all know KSP works without steam as a standalone so I went through the KSP folder and manually deleted any file with the word "steam" in it. In all there were a half dozen files that were clearly related to steam but I'm concerned that I didn't not get them all and would prefer to install from scratch.

Is there an alternative to Steam for installing KSP? As an example does Squad provide a download for verifiable owners? Is there a different way? My reason is that there are instance sof other games providing steam keys and vice-versa.

I'm not looking to repurchase the game so sites like gog and gmg aren't a viable alternative.

Edit: For clarification. I want to perform a clean installation without the steam files.

Edited by zKrieg
clarification

You already HAVE an alternative to the Steam installation. If you don't want Steam, don't run Steam. If you want your installation to be somewhere else, take the Kerbal Space Program folder and put it somewhere else. You don't need to delete any files or anything like that; just use it as you would use a non-Steam install.

Edit to add: if Squad ever goes out of business, or Mexico City gets hit by an asteroid, I'll still have access to my KSP. Also, I never have website issues when I update. Is the Steam life perfect in every way? No, but I wouldn't recommend against buying KSP on Steam.

Edited by godefroi

1 minute ago, godefroi said:

You already HAVE an alternative to the Steam installation. If you don't want Steam, don't run Steam. If you want your installation to be somewhere else, take the Kerbal Space Program folder and put it somewhere else. You don't need to delete any files or anything like that; just use it as you would use a non-Steam install.

I am well aware of this. Hence the second sentence in the op.

Edited by zKrieg

Copy the game out of the Steam install directory.  It's found at <steam root>/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program

Put the "Kerbal Space Program" directory wherever you want.  Make multiple copies.  Install tons of mods on one, use another for development, keep one vanilla, whatever.

2 minutes ago, zKrieg said:

I'm afraid you didn't get past the first sentence of my op. Re-read the op.

So what you're really asking for is an .MSI? Make one yourself. Or, make a self-extracting .zip file. Life's too short to sweat a couple Steam-related .dll files.

1 minute ago, pandaman said:

I think you will need to update etc through steam as that's where you bought it from.  But once it's downloaded job done, copy it elsewhere until you need to download again.

You can update through launcher.exe.

3 hours ago, godefroi said:

So what you're really asking for is an .MSI? Make one yourself. Or, make a self-extracting .zip file. Life's too short to sweat a couple Steam-related .dll files.

I don't think this is going to help me. Creating an .msi won't get rid of the redundant steam files. Nor will it allow for a clean installation from scratch. It is the opposite of what I am requesting.

Edited by zKrieg

6 hours ago, zKrieg said:

I'm not looking to repurchase the game though.

6 hours ago, stibbons said:

Then you are not looking for an alternative to Steam.

I  apologize. I thought I was quite clear.

Edited by zKrieg

I don't think we quite understand what you want to achieve.

If you don't want to run the game through steam, just start ksp.exe instead of the steam shortcut. None of the steam files will be touched. Problem solved.

If your concern is "I don't want the steam files to take up too much space," remove all files named "steam" as you already did, and take a quick look at the calendar. It's 2016. Hard disk sizes are measured in Terabytes. If you're afraid there's a 5-10MB file left that belongs to steam and that is now eating up valuable hard disk space, calm down. That 10MB is not going to make a difference. Skip Starbucks for once and you've just saved more money than ten complete KSP installs combined cost you on your hard disk.

If you want to absolutely sure that KSP doesn't "phone home" to steam, after deleting all files with the word "steam" in it, simply turn off the wifi on your computer or disconnect your ethernet cable.

We're clutching at straws here, so likely missing option #4?

8 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I don't think we quite understand what you want to achieve.

If you don't want to run the game through steam, just start ksp.exe instead of the steam shortcut. None of the steam files will be touched. Problem solved.

If your concern is "I don't want the steam files to take up too much space," remove all files named "steam" as you already did, and take a quick look at the calendar. It's 2016. Hard disk sizes are measured in Terabytes. If you're afraid there's a 5-10MB file left that belongs to steam and that is now eating up valuable hard disk space, calm down. That 10MB is not going to make a difference. Skip Starbucks for once and you've just saved more money than ten complete KSP installs combined cost you on your hard disk.

If you want to absolutely sure that KSP doesn't "phone home" to steam, after deleting all files with the word "steam" in it, simply turn off the wifi on your computer or disconnect your ethernet cable.

We're clutching at straws here, so likely missing option #4?

Thanks for your assistance and I really appreciate your snide remark concerning available storage space in this decade.

In my third sentence I quite clearly stated that I want to perform a clean install, and was hoping there was an alternative to using Steam. I don't understand why it is so difficult for you to comprehend

Edited by zKrieg

Ah ok. Now I understand. You don't want to achieve something. You just want an answer. That's easy.

6 hours ago, zKrieg said:

Is there an alternative to Steam for installing KSP? As an example does Squad provide a download for verifiable owners? Is there a different way? My reason is that there are instance sof other games providing steam keys and vice-versa.

I'm not looking to repurchase the game so sites like gog and gmg aren't a viable alternative.

Nope. There isn't.

I thought I would get some serious answers but apparently half this community lacks the ability to respect other members. I would appreciate it that if you are unable to post in a mature manner that you just refrain from posting, period.

Thank you

Edited by zKrieg

31 minutes ago, zKrieg said:

I thought I would get some serious answers but apparently half this community lacks the ability to respect other members. I would appreciate it that if you are unable to post in a mature manner that you just refrain from posting, period.

Thank you

Like " I'm afraid you didn't get past the first sentence of my op. Re-read the op. "

It's really simple: if you bought the game through Steam, then there is no alternative then getting the game through steam, unless you buy another copy not from Steam. That was communicated to you. The community then offered you ways you could play the game without it connecting to Steam. That wasn't appreciated either. So in the end, you're asking "can I get a clean install without Steam, from Steam"

There's nothing immature about the answer, "no, you can't" — especially after you indicated that you are not really interested in any alternative solutions involving your Steam copy. The only thing immature is throwing a tantrum when you don't get the answer that you like. And no, we can't help with that either.