The "You know you're playing a lot of KSP when..." thread

Phenom Anon X

I designed an asparagus-stage rocket in a dream that I'm pretty sure would really work. It would be really difficult to build, however, because it relies on advanced robotics for control, automatic internal fuel transfers that don't add much mass, and lots and lots of precision engineering. Initially I was trying to come up with a rocket that could be made in real life using the asparagus staging mechanic to get cheap model rockets into Earth orbit. I was disappointed when I realized cheap rockets don't have advanced control mechanisms, reaction wheels, and fuel transfer systems like they do in KSP.

I watched Planetes and was annoyed when someone drifted towards Earth and started sinking into the atmosphere. I was wondering if the creators of the show were aware that that person's new orbit never intersected the atmosphere at any point.

Actually...

"Phase 10", after Yuri's debris encounter

Planetes.PNG

There's no indication of how close to the terminator they're operating before the strike, so it's entirely possible Yuri was knocked into a sub-orbital trajectory by it. Planetes is probably the best example I've seen of a space-based series going out of its way to adhere to real world physics.

His current altitude is called out as 120km, and given the trajectory plot shown, could easily reflect what would happen in reality, though I would expect a debris strike resulting in such a major change in trajectory to be a little more damaging and impactful than was shown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1rm%C3%A1n_line

Edited by Deadweasel

Things were KSP-close-enough last night so I set up my first trip to Duna.

I launched with a design already in the books for many successful Mun explorations and returns.

After plotting a Kerbin-escape trajectory, I set up a maneuvering node along it and dragged it around to find a close intercept; a bit more tweaking and I have (if I recall) a Ap of 250k waiting.

Moments ago, I found myself sitting at work wondering how things were going with the ship enroute.

The app isn't even running! Does anyone even do that?

82527d1381936098-watts-isnt-loudness-facedesk-facedesk-facepalm-fail-demotivational-posters-13106446171.jpg

When I am reading the very first spiderman comic and I start losing my mind on how the comic book is not being realistic with the orbital mechanics. Let alone the rescue attempts.

Radioactive spider bite giving superpowers? Totally fine with that.

When you're at the KSC visitor's center and wonder in an idle moment if Scott Manley is around.

When you realize you'd just as much rather talk to him than any of the astronauts.

When you then realize you'd probably fanboi-out and be speechless and stupid if you did actually run into him.

When you wonder for a fraction of a second why Jool is ORANGE in the Solar System poster in the gift shop.

when you call the nasa space center the ksc

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.