Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Looks like they weren't exaggerating about the crooked landing. It looks like it slid around on the deck quite a bit, too, the landing seemed to be well centered, but it's at the edge coming into port.

26812792104_9323121f0b_o.0.jpg

27387436926_2d593faa0c_o.0.jpg

Edited by DMagic

17 hours ago, Streetwind said:

You're all way off. Stage 1 comes down about 500-600 km off the coast of the continental US. To the north of the carribean, east of the Florida peninsula. The closest islands to the launch trajectory were some of the Bahamas, but well to the south, not in front of the rocket. So it can neither be Bermuda nor Africa nor one of the carribean islands. Also, the stage is traveling away from Florida at the time, not towards it, so it can't be Florida either.

My money's on optical illusion.

Yes, you are one day late unfortunately because you are just reiterating my point.

pnMZcaT.png

The red lines indicate the potential line of sight for the rocket as it comes back to land. It can't be the bermudas because the land mass is too little. Thaicom was headed towards an equatorial burn so it couldn't have headed south to the bahamas.

The "land mass" in the video looked strangely familar as if it were due to the varying colors like you would find in mountain ranges. However, storm clouds could be a possibility, we may have to look into that.

Or maybe perhaps spaceX launched retrograde by accident, hoping no one would notice :wink: 

1 hour ago, Rdivine said:

Yes, you are one day late unfortunately because you are just reiterating my point.

...Excuse me? Which point? Looking back to the previous page, your entire post was this:

21 hours ago, Rdivine said:

i don't think it was bermuda, it looks way too big to be a small island.

One sentence, prefaced with "I think". It contains none of the facts and none of the explanations present in my post, but rather just a gut feeling.

Look, I know you likely don't want to be hostile, and I don't want to be either. But unintentionally or not, the way you've chosen your words is pretty rude. Please don't do that. Someone else might seriously blow up in your face over this kind of thing. And I'd rather see this thread filled with discussions about rockets than with arguments.

Not necessarily - the landing trajectories all only divert onto the pad at the last moment. Even the RTLS mission last december would have hit the ocean and not the landing site if the engine hadn't started for the landing burn. This is by design, so that a freefalling rocket stage doesn't destroy the landing pad/drone ship.

Though admittedly, this one did come in very very hot :P

The first stage (without anything mounted on top, curiously enough) was rolled out and raised vertical on the pad last night. Expecting a static fire in the (US) morning, then rolling back to the hangar for attaching the second stage and payload.

Launch is currently set for Wednesday the 15th.

5 hours ago, Streetwind said:

The first stage (without anything mounted on top, curiously enough) was rolled out and raised vertical on the pad last night. Expecting a static fire in the (US) morning, then rolling back to the hangar for attaching the second stage and payload.

Launch is currently set for Wednesday the 15th.

It seems awfully late for a static fire. The mission patch didn't even come up yet. I wonder what issue they had this time...

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Timing couldn't really be worse for me but I've got it on in the background as I'm getting ready for work. At least my PC has good speakers. :D

Oh, that sucks.

T minus 10 minutes!

T minus five minutes!!

Just now, icedown said:

What is the liquid pouring out of the launch hold downs? Is it just a coolant or something like the sound suppression system?

I think it's venting propellant that's become gs, although I could be very wrong :P

Also, launch!!!