KIS/KAS for 1.1 alpha testing

IgorZ

I confirm, KIS is indeed broken with the new build of KSP. I know what's the problem and I think I know how to fix it. Just need to polish the code a bit and do the release. ETA for the new release: 30-60 minutes.

I was going to report that it is the new build. I don't know how to fix it but a lot of other mods are broken, like Infernal Robotics. I just rebuilt my test installations with and without mods, all of them don't work :( Even Kerbal Engineer spams the debug console since the update.

New builds available:

• KIS: 2016-04-15 Alpha 4:
    • [Enhancement] A little more changes in descriptions of the parts. From @Billy_Is_Dead
    • [Fix] React on joint break on static attached items.
    • [Change] Make static attached items kinematic to prevent immediate joint breakage. A temporary fix for KSP 1.1.
  • KAS: 2016-04-15 Alpha 4:
    • [Enhancement] A little more changes in descriptions of the parts. From @Billy_Is_Dead

Always do clean install of every version. I.e. delete whole old folder from the game and then unpack the new version.

Known issues:

• KIS
    • All parts attached to the ground (e.g. CB-1) become kinematic and stop handle physics.
  • KAS
    • Harpoons and ports joint breaking force has been increased to make them more stable. It may make them unbreakable in some cases.
    • All parts attached to the ground (e.g. ground pylon) become kinematic and stop handle physics.

13 minutes ago, CraveMode said:

I was going to report that it is the new build. I don't know how to fix it but a lot of other mods are broken, like Infernal Robotics. I just rebuilt my test installations with and without mods, all of them don't work :( Even Kerbal Engineer spams the debug console since the update.

They've extended two interfaces with new methods: IPartCostModifier, IPartMassModifier. I have no idea what the new methods mean but the values my code returns seem working. Though, more testing is needed to prove it.

Edited by IgorZ

Just now, IgorZ said:

They've extended two interfaces with new methods: IPartCostModifier, IPartMassModifier. I have no idea what the new methods mean but the values my code returns seems working. Though, more testing is needed to prove it.

I have a fresh 1.1 I will do some testing, need to check the new KSPedia pages I've finished as well.

Hello everyone, I've just switched to the 1.1 pre-release with KIS/KAS alpha.

So far, I mostly made use of winch mounted on my 1.05 aircraft, to realase ships / subs / rover from mk 2 bays

=> got once a glitch, tried to release a sub, nothing happened. Then, on take-off, the view switched to a distant one, just as if a part of the craft was way behind (still docked, released cable).
I suppose this was associated with a mistake in the game loading.

Rest is fine

Now I will trys KIS for my ground-based refueling operation.

Question : do we still have a shortcut to make the winch operation toolbar pop-up ?

Regards to the dev !!! :-)

3 minutes ago, Maukse said:

Question : do we still have a shortcut to make the winch operation toolbar pop-up ?

If current vessel is the one with the winch then shortcut is "p".

Igorz, thanks for the quick fix. Now my Kerbals won't starve.

I also noted that Electricity does not transfer via a Winch and Port (Plugged-Docked mode).  By design?  Other resources can transfer via the cable.

Edited by Apollo13

Now that I have been on my weekend from work, I was able to tackle the KSPedia for KIS. I think I have the layout the way I want. I have an example below, keep in mind, this is the first page (not the Cover which is also done but needs tweaking) it has two pages worth of information on one screen from the PDF file. The others will have some spacing but I will try to fill them in with a cutout graphic of a Kerbal carrying a tool or something in each one.

I welcome any feedback!

GSXQx8E.png

Edited by CraveMode

38 minutes ago, CraveMode said:

Now that I have been on my weekend from work, I was able tackle the KSPedia for KIS. I think I have the layout the way I want. I have an example below, keep in mind, this is the first page (not the Cover which is also done but needs tweaking) it has two pages worth of information on one screen from the PDF file. The others will have some spacing but I will try to fill them in with a cutout graphic of a Kerbal carrying a tool or something in each one.

I welcome any feedback!

GSXQx8E.png

Looking nice, good job.

I think the first of the tips down the bottom could be clearer - something like:

"A new category has been added for Tools and EVA items - look for the tab with the Kerbonaut."

...since saying it's under the Science category could mean it's below the Science category or it's inside the Science category.

15 hours ago, IgorZ said:
  • KIS
    • All parts attached to the ground (e.g. CB-1) become kinematic and stop handle physics.
  • KAS
    • All parts attached to the ground (e.g. ground pylon) become kinematic and stop handle physics.

Much to my chagrin, I just learned the true meaning of these two sentences; sh*t explodes!!!  Even when you are not touching or manipulating it.

11 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

I also noted that Electricity does not transfer via a Winch and Port (Plugged-Docked mode).  By design?  Other resources can transfer via the cable.

Do you mean the transfer doesn't work when two vessels are connected via a cable from a winch?

11 hours ago, toril said:

@IgorZ did you see my observations on the harpoon above?

Yeah, I saw them. Thanks. The problem is clearly related to how colliders work in the new Unity. I have some ideas on how to fix it.

2 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

Much to my chagrin, I just learned the true meaning of these two sentences; sh*t explodes!!!  Even when you are not touching or manipulating it.

Explosions and intermittent detachments happen before. Alas, no reproducible steps were found. Can you reliably reproduce the situation?

Edited by IgorZ

Do you mean the transfer doesn't work when two vessels are connected via a cable from a winch?

Yes.  I had one  manned vessel (10 electricity) connected to another with a battery (1000 electricity).  Instead of showing 1010 electricity in the stock Resources icon in upper right corner, it showed only 10.  I'll do more testing.

Explosions and intermittent detachments happen before. Alas, no reproducible steps were found. Can you reliably reproduce the situation? 

Yes.  The same vessel I mentioned above.  I attached two concrete pylons to Minmus ground.  Attached Winch to each and Ports to the vessel.  I then attached the cables from each Winch to the ports.  I then quicksaved the game.  Upon reloading the quicksave, I waited about five seconds, then...boom.  Every time.   Both pylons exploded.  I don't have that quicksave nor log file.  I'll see if I can go back to minmus to replicate this. (Oh, how I wish Hyperedit worked in 1.1 pre-release.  Would make it much easier).

Edited by Apollo13

1 hour ago, Apollo13 said:

Yes.  I had one  manned vessel (10 electricity) connected to another with a battery (1000 electricity).  Instead of showing 1010 electricity in the stock Resources icon in upper right corner, it showed only 10.  I'll do more testing.

Well, I'd say that at long as you connect by using harpoons, grapples or magnets there must be no actual connection in terms of resources. KAS pipes look more appropriate tools for this.

1 hour ago, Apollo13 said:

(Oh, how I wish Hyperedit worked in 1.1 pre-release.  Would make it much easier).

Try this. I did some simple changes and dropped some functionality (C#6 specific) to make Hyperedit compiling under 1.1. All I can tell - it starts and opens main menu. If it works - great, if not - sorry.

Edited by IgorZ

2 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

(Oh, how I wish Hyperedit worked in 1.1 pre-release.  Would make it much easier).

There ARE a couple of dlls experimentals for 1.1 on the bottom of the mod's page.

New release available:

• KAS: 2016-04-17 Alpha 5:
    • [Internal] On eject set collision detection mode to CONTINUES to not punch thru the collider's bounds.

Always do clean install of every version. I.e. delete whole old folder from the game and then unpack the new version.

@toril @Poofer Guys, I relay on you in testing harpoon issues. Latest KAS version should solve harpoons bouncing issue. Though, beyond that I'm not an expert - I have never used this feature (ejecting harpoons) before. When you report an unexpected behavior, please, also specify what is the expected behavior, and what was the use case (i.e. why do you need using harpoons the way you describe). Unity 5 physics model is very different so, I'd say many things we've seen in the old game are no more. And it's not necessarily bad. As far as I can tell the physics in Unity 5 is much more precise, and more "physics". We just need to learn how to live with it :)

22 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Try this. I did some simple changes and dropped some functionality (C#6 specific) to make Hyperedit compiling under 1.1. All I can tell - it starts and opens main menu. If it works - great, if not - sorry.

Your Hyperedit DLL worked perfectly.  I was able to orbit a vessel at Kerbin, Mun, Minmus.  Thanks.  I'll see if I can replicate the situation.

There ARE a couple of dlls experimentals for 1.1 on the bottom of the mod's page.

I tried one a bit ago and it did not work.  Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT: Concerning the electricity issue, ignore that.  I just had a brain-fart and didn't read the right number.  It works.  Sigh...

Rather than Hyperedit a vessel to Minmus, I simply hacked my persistent,sfs file to include the parts onboard the craft at the base site.  Then used an Engineer to re-create the explosive situation. Unfortunately, it did not explode.  I even tried switching vessels and coming back to it to see if I could cause an explosion.  Nope.  All is fine.  I'll post a picture in a bit.

Edited by Apollo13

16 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

Rather than Hyperedit a vessel to Minmus, I simply hacked my persistent,sfs file to include the parts onboard the craft at the base site.  Then used an Engineer to re-create the explosive situation. Unfortunately, it did not explode.  I even tried switching vessels and coming back to it to see if I could cause an explosion.  Nope.  All is fine.  I'll post a picture in a bit.

I was digging in the KSP code and found a component called "CollisionEnhancer". One of the things its does (you won't believe!) is exploding landed parts! It checks if part hits the ground too fast and explodes it. It sounds reasonable when you're landing but, unfortunately, it also triggers when a static attached part reacts with a static collider. The colliders issue is the reason why I've transformed pylons into kinematic parts. Alas, the enhancer doesn't check this flag.

Anyways, I don't think turning parts to kinematic is a good way. It's only a workaround for 1.1 testing. There should be a better way. Btw, this issue is a consequence of better physics engine in Unity. It's not a bug.

I like the idea of all parts attached to the ground stopping their physics.   As long as you can interact with them that's good.

I ran into issues where sometimes physics would become exagerated due to improper handling of tension forces by the engine.   This should solve that.

Given your explanation concerning grounded items exploding, I reported this as a bug in the Squad pre-release 1.1 bug tracker: bug # 9241.  I copied your explanation there as well.  This goes beyond the KAS mod to basic KSP functionality.  Hopefully, it will be viewed as such and fixed.

Edited by Apollo13

7 hours ago, Ruedii said:

I like the idea of all parts attached to the ground stopping their physics.   As long as you can interact with them that's good.

I ran into issues where sometimes physics would become exagerated due to improper handling of tension forces by the engine.   This should solve that.

Or you're not hitting "H" when you put it on the ground for surface attach. :wink: 

Edited by davidy12