The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

Anybody encountered issue when camera in map view tries to follow ship rotation (like in camera's locked mode)? It moves for a second or two and then gets back to normal position, definitely haven't encountered this before 1.1.

1 hour ago, Mystique said:

Anybody encountered issue when camera in map view tries to follow ship rotation (like in camera's locked mode)? It moves for a second or two and then gets back to normal position, definitely haven't encountered this before 1.1.

Nah that's an old bug. It happens when the camera mode changes, which happens when you change it manually or transition between suborbital/orbital/escape orbits.

Also, no devnotes? :(

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

25 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Nah that's an old bug. It happens when the camera mode changes, which happens when you change it manually or transition between suborbital/orbital/escape orbits.

Also, no devnotes? :(

Devs are on vacation so unless you are looking for updates on poolside beverages there is not much happening. 

18 hours ago, Basto said:

Devs are on vacation so unless you are looking for updates on poolside beverages there is not much happening. 

I can't be the only one who wants to see that update...

6 hours ago, p1t1o said:

I can't be the only one who wants to see that update...

True, and they definetly deserve a break after all the hard work and stress. It'll be good for them to de-stress for a while.

Ok, about the time I have one issue solved or figured out, I get another one. I now am having problems with aircraft. I cannot re-enter my shuttle (thank God for F5), and land on the runway without losing complete control and the shuttle spinning in donuts down the runway. I also cannot fly off the runway without the same problem. I'm using stock wheels, have tried with both the friction setting to auto and override +2. Any ideas or is this to be expected until the wheel issue is solved?

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

Err.. I just discovered you can attach parts to fairings now. It's glitchy but possible. Only surface attach parts obviously.

Think of it this way, Now you can strut up those fairings!

1 hour ago, Andem said:

Think of it this way, Now you can strut up those fairings!

I like that new feature. As I'm using Remote Tech, I often have to fly sensitive satellites or probes into space.
Bringing three large long range satellites at once into space in one piece with my "sat deployer" craft was always a tricky thing.

6 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Ok, about the time I have one issue solved or figured out, I get another one. I now am having problems with aircraft. I cannot re-enter my shuttle (thank God for F5), and land on the runway without losing complete control and the shuttle spinning in donuts down the runway. I also cannot fly off the runway without the same problem. I'm using stock wheels, have tried with both the friction setting to auto and override +2. Any ideas or is this to be expected until the wheel issue is solved?

From my bit of messing with planes I've found a few strategies to mitigate this during landing:

- Turn off brakes on wheels ahead of the CoM.
- Turn off steering on ALL wheels. Only use wheel steering for taxiing.
- Rear wheels that are closer together suffer less from this effect than those further apart.
- Deployed airbrakes far behind the CoM reduce this effect.
- Most importantly: Wait for the plane to "settle" on the runway before applying brakes. If one side's suspension is more compressed than the other it has more normal force -> more friction -> more braking force -> asymmetric braking -> spin.

For takeoff, the issue seems to be proportional to speed. I've had good results with making my planes takeoff at or under 130m/s or so, much more than that and the chance of a spin seems to go up dramatically.

Am I the only one that thinks the UI is really borked in 1.1.2? Text, icons, text cursor, and lots of other UI elements seem blurry now, like a weird anti-aliasing has been applied to them. The UI used to be crisp and the font size consistent, now it's all over the place. A typographist would be sad.

1 hour ago, LostOblivion said:

Am I the only one that thinks the UI is really borked in 1.1.2? Text, icons, text cursor, and lots of other UI elements seem blurry now, like a weird anti-aliasing has been applied to them. The UI used to be crisp and the font size consistent, now it's all over the place. A typographist would be sad.

You could try messing with your GPU's settings.  There are some settings that say that they might mess up text.

20 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

From my bit of messing with planes I've found a few strategies to mitigate this during landing:

- Turn off brakes on wheels ahead of the CoM.
- Turn off steering on ALL wheels. Only use wheel steering for taxiing.
- Rear wheels that are closer together suffer less from this effect than those further apart.
- Deployed airbrakes far behind the CoM reduce this effect.
- Most importantly: Wait for the plane to "settle" on the runway before applying brakes. If one side's suspension is more compressed than the other it has more normal force -> more friction -> more braking force -> asymmetric braking -> spin.

For takeoff, the issue seems to be proportional to speed. I've had good results with making my planes takeoff at or under 130m/s or so, much more than that and the chance of a spin seems to go up dramatically.

Those are some good ideas. I have trouble with the "settling" part though. Planes in Kerbal are difficult to corral already and I do have trouble slowing the rotation rate of the nose to a point that it doesn't "Pinto" (80s ref!) on touchdown, space-shuttle style.* KSP just doesn't seem to have that level of precision.

*I got to meet the guy who created the descent control laws for the shuttle. He said controlling nose pitch on rollout was the hardest of the control schemes. Wild, huh?

5 hours ago, N_Molson said:

I'd say that a 1.1.3 patch would probably be a sound idea, given the healthy population of bugs remaining after 1.1.2 :wink:

I agree, and while they did seem to want to hurry through (which is probably understandable, given the length of time and how hard they worked), they did try to make sure that there aren't any absolutely gamebreaking bugs* before they went on vacation. De-stressing and having clear minds when they come back to tackle whatever is remaining is better than not taking a break and then tackling them.

*I know, I know, crashes are absolutely gamebreaking, but they're harder to deal with.

I've had some minor issues with the landing gear, but nothing I'd lose my cool over.  What is all this about crashing though..?  Apparently lot's of people are having them.....like every five minutes by some reports.....I've not even had one.  Not even in the VAB which has got people reaching for torches and pitchforks at Steam.  Other people are saying they haven't had any either.....in fact it seems to b that most people are majorly enthused about the release landing gear notwithstanding.  It's not that I want people to shut up about something that's not affecting me, but the whole situation seems completely mysterious.  Doesn't anybody have any light to shed on the crashing..and why it affects some but not others...?  It's giving me a huge case of 'one of the lucky ones' guilt.....

@smjjames for the record, we have left unfixed precisely _zero_ crashes we've been able to reliably reproduce. We are aware there are other more random-ish once, but thus far they have eluded reliable reproduction.

Ask @Agathorn how long we spent on fixing the OSX crash-on-load bug during the height of crunch (that one _was_ reliably reproducible, and therefore fixable).

14 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

You could try messing with your GPU's settings.  There are some settings that say that they might mess up text.

Really? Where does it say this?

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

@smjjames for the record, we have left unfixed precisely _zero_ crashes we've been able to reliably reproduce. We are aware there are other more random-ish once, but thus far they have eluded reliable reproduction.

Ask @Agathorn how long we spent on fixing the OSX crash-on-load bug during the height of crunch (that one _was_ reliably reproducible, and therefore fixable).

My game crashes every time I play. Sometimes during un-docking of large part craft sometimes at random in the editor but it is every single time I play. NO mods, 64bit.

Just saying. :blush:

2 hours ago, Majorjim said:

My game crashes every time I play. Sometimes during un-docking of large part craft sometimes at random in the editor but it is every single time I play. NO mods, 64bit.

Just saying. :blush:

"Reliable reproduction" is the key phrase in NathanKell's post. "Sometimes at random" is not reliably reproducible, whatever is causing that particular crash has not been isolated yet.

9 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

"Reliable reproduction" is the key phrase in NathanKell's post. "Sometimes at random" is not reliably reproducible, whatever is causing that particular crash has not been isolated yet.

Well the most frequent is the undocking of two ships. Low and high part count. So what ever mechanism is at play during un-docking is the cause of that little gem. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.