Make the Sun Kerbol

Nay.

1. If you pronounce "Kerbol" with a short O it sounds too close to "Kerbal."
  2. If you pronounce it with a long O it sounds like a yearly college sports event. The Ker-Bowl!
  3. Either way you say it, it suffers from "just toss a K in front of it" syndrome.
  4. I personally really like "Sun" as the name.
  5. The wiki is not official and is very often wrong. As are many things maintained by a disparate community.

3 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Oh that's insanity. It's definitely Kerbol rhymes with mer-mole. 

Hence:

55 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

2. If you pronounce it with a long O it sounds like a yearly college sports event. The Ker-Bowl!

"The Sun" is our star, not the star of the Kerbin system.

That's like astronomy 101 stuff dude....

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Nay.

1. If you pronounce "Kerbol" with a short O it sounds too close to "Kerbal."

Then you have those of us that pronounce mole and bowl as rhyming words, so your logic is clearly flawed.

Hooray for regional accents.

1. Either way you say it, it suffers from "just toss a K in front of it" syndrome.
  2. I personally really like "Sun" as the name.

In other words: Don't change it cause it will suck (whatever it will be).

1. The wiki is not official and is very often wrong. As are many things maintained by a disparate community.

Oh?  Show us the proof.

10 minutes ago, almagnus1 said:

Oh?  Show us the proof.

It's official but not developer information.  Squad hosts it but the information is fan maintained, so what he says is true.  It even says so on the front page.

" The official community-driven guide to the game. "

And if you read the linked article.

" “Kerbol” is a fan-made portmanteau of “Kerbal” and “Sol” — the Latin name for the real-life Sun. ... Fans on the KSP forums invented and popularized the name. "

Edited by Alshain

Ahem sorry. Im a bit punchy today. On the point in question Im of two minds. I actually quite like Kerbol and would love to see some in-game allusions to it, but just to keep things simple for noobs I think its cool to continue to call it the Sun. 

or.

You could call it...

the ZUN!

2 minutes ago, almagnus1 said:

That's like trying to get an American and a Canadian to say the following phrase identially:

Sorry, I was out and about.

Don't be silly @almagnus1, (United States of) Americans never say sorry. I guess that's what Canadians (also Americans btw) are for...

Being a Brit (and therefore perfect in every single respect), I say Kerbal like herbal (which has an 'h' sound on the beginning, colonials!), and Kerbol like 'her doll'.

I'm thinking of promoting calling the star in KSP 'Barbie's Bad Habit' because why not?

4 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

You could call it...

the ZUN!

Just don't put any dots over the U or we will never hear the end of the pronunciation threads.

EDIT: Is this a different thread? How did we end up with two of these?

Edited by Alshain

3.  Either way you say it, it suffers from "just toss a K in front of it" syndrome.

The worst offender imho of this syndrome is "Kerbonaut".  You'll hear it all the time, and indeed there is no mention of it in the game.  On the contrary, they are explicitly referred to as Astronauts via the Astronaut Complex building.  

I may refer to the Sun as Kerbol from time to time however. :confused:

8 minutes ago, klesh said:

The worst offender imho of this syndrome is "Kerbonaut".  You'll hear it all the time, and indeed there is no mention of it in the game.  On the contrary, they are explicitly referred to as Astronauts via the Astronaut Complex building. 

I think some people prefer that one because "Astronaut" is originally/typically associated with the United States while "Cosmonaut" is associated with Russia, and Kerbonaut is not partial to either.  The idea being that KSP should be universal and not partial to any one space program.  But yeah I kind of agree with you, I dislike the "K" trend.

Edited by Alshain

27 minutes ago, almagnus1 said:

"The Sun" is our star, not the star of the Kerbin system.

That's like astronomy 101 stuff dude....

I have no idea why you think I don't know this.

28 minutes ago, almagnus1 said:

Then you have those of us that pronounce mole and bowl as rhyming words, so your logic is clearly flawed.

I pronounce those two words the same, and in my mind they do rhyme with "Kerbol." Only they don't sound dumb.

28 minutes ago, almagnus1 said:

In other words: Don't change it cause it will suck (whatever it will be).

Not quite. "Don't change it to a dumb sounding name whose only redeeming quality - which is neither redeeming nor quality - is that it starts with a K" is more like it.

29 minutes ago, almagnus1 said:

Oh?  Show us the proof.

Okay I misspoke. It is official (I actually didn't know that; I didn't notice the url was to this here site) but that doesn't change the fact that the information within is wrong. My proof? That page itself. As was stated in the OP (and the page), the information is not in the game and there is no indication that the programmers think of the Sun as being named Kerbol.

14 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Hotspot.

That's a Transformer =P

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

Not quite. "Don't change it to a dumb sounding name whose only redeeming quality - which is neither redeeming nor quality - is that it starts with a K" is more like it.

Kerbol also sounds like Kobol from Battlestar Galactica (see http://galactica.wikia.com/wiki/Kobol ) which actually makes the refernce kind of fun too =D

Just to make the point, 'official' is just a meaningless word that people put before things to make them seem like they're 'in the club'. The wiki's content is in no way canon at all, except as an expression of collectivised subjective experience of the game's canon content. It's a bit like taking a photograph of someone else's painting and providing an 'official' explanation of how it was created when you took the photo. Make sense?

Edited by The_Rocketeer

1 minute ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Just to make the point, 'official' is just a meaningless word that people put before things to make them seem like they're 'in the club'. The wiki's content is in no way canon at all, except as an expression of collectivised subjective experience of the game's canon content. It's a bit like taking a photograph of someone else's painting and providing a 'definitive' explanation of how it was created when you took the photo. Make sense?

we have like this funny little rule in our funny little country: When a word is being made up and known by 70% of the citizens, it becomes a word in the "official" dictionary. Making it an official Dutch word. The same goes for Kerbol, enough ppl know it to use it "officially". Whether it should be changed by Squad seems insignificant in any way.. It's like disliking the name Valentina and wanting to change it.

5 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Just to make the point, 'official' is just a meaningless word that people put before things to make them seem like they're 'in the club'. The wiki's content is in no way canon at all, except as an expression of collectivised subjective experience of the game's canon content. It's a bit like taking a photograph of someone else's painting and providing an 'official' explanation of how it was created when you took the photo. Make sense?

I (mistakenly) used the word to describe how the wiki was not created or sanctioned or controlled by Squad. That meaning is very specific and is not meaningless at all.

So the wiki is official, but not trustworthy. This is likely the worst combination of those two possibilities there is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.