Game Concept Burning in my head [Need Help]

ZooNamedGames

As I come to this morning, I got another fantastic idea that I need help with.

It's a game concept, which I would make, but I haven't the slightest where to begin in game development. I have a story, an art style and more that suddenly came to me. I'm not saying it's an easy task making a video game, but I know what I am after.

I've been told that VG development is difficult before but it hasn't stopped me, what has stopped me, is my lack of knowledge. I'm looking into a book that should help guide me through Unity (not the preferred game engine for this, but acceptable nonetheless), but I still feel there is a disconnect.

For any of you who honestly know me on the forum, this may sound like a lie to grab pitiful attention, but it's not- I was diagnosed with mild Autism very young and I struggled to pick up English. I spoke in what my parents jokingly called, "Klingon". I had my own language as a child with everything having a name and even being able to make commands in this made up language. (Point being) I struggled with English and I recently picked up another language and I struggled the same as I did with English. Coding, which is essential in game development, is just another language. I want to learn how to do programming and eventually become good enough to move onto another aspect of game design, but I just can't right now. I need help as it's all too foreign and I feel I need a more guiding hand to help sort through the mess that is coding. So if anyone wants to help me bridge this gap, it would be greatly appreciated.

Or if you simply want to let me drive the story and design it yourself, I'd be good with that too :) . I just feel this is a fantastic idea and I don't want my inabilities to lead to such a good idea being lost. I'll start writing things out on paper as time goes on so maybe I can save it before the idea leaves me or loses shine.

The story could be a nice piece of fiction. Otherwise, there are tons of programming courses & books. 

Codecademy provides nice practical courses, on Khan Academy you can study almost anything. Any other stuff you can find yourself.

BUT PLEASE DONT DO IT ON JAVA!

6 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Coding, which is essential in game development, is just another language. I want to learn how to do programming and eventually become good enough to move onto another aspect of game design, but I just can't right now. I need help as it's all too foreign and I feel I need a more guiding hand to help sort through the mess that is coding.

Apologies if this question is off the mark, but just to verify (and no criticism intended, I'm honestly curious)-- have you actually tried some coding, or is this an assumption based on your past difficulties with language acquisition?

I only ask because there's a very big difference between computer languages and human ones:  the computer languages make more sense.  They're completely logical, completely consistent, and completely unambiguous.

I only mention it because I've been in the software industry a long time, and dealt with a lot of computer-geek types.  I'd say that the software biz is actually a magnet for borderline-autistic types-- many such folks actually gravitate towards software as a career.  I know that a lot of folks on the autism spectrum can have language issues, but my impression is that in many cases, a big part of that is due to the need to read ambiguity, emotional context, etc. out of the communication, which is an especial challenge for autism.  Computers dispense with all of that, which can make things a lot simpler for such folks.

I'm not presuming to know anything about your own challenges, or trying to paint all autism-spectrum individuals with the same brush.  If you've already tried coding and have found language-related difficulty with it, then never mind all of the above.

I only bring it up on the off chance that maybe you haven't actually tried much coding yet and might just be assuming that it would be as hard for you as a human language-- which it might not be.

22 minutes ago, awfulhumanbeing said:

The story could be a nice piece of fiction. Otherwise, there are tons of programming courses & books. 

Codecademy provides nice practical courses, on Khan Academy you can study almost anything. Any other stuff you can find yourself.

BUT PLEASE DONT DO IT ON JAVA!

It's original, unique and also filled with storyline. So as far as story goes, it's ready but coding is where I break down.

What I'm saying is, I'll likely need a tutor, someone to guide me through personally.

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

It's original, unique and also filled with storyline. So as far as story goes, it's ready but coding is where I break down.

What I'm saying is, I'll likely need a tutor, someone to guide me through personally.

Well, I'm not a programmer whatsoever, but you can hire a teacher for money. It always helps.

16 minutes ago, Snark said:

Apologies if this question is off the mark, but just to verify (and no criticism intended, I'm honestly curious)-- have you actually tried some coding, or is this an assumption based on your past difficulties with language acquisition?

I only ask because there's a very big difference between computer languages and human ones:  the computer languages make more sense.  They're completely logical, completely consistent, and completely unambiguous.

I only mention it because I've been in the software industry a long time, and dealt with a lot of computer-geek types.  I'd say that the software biz is actually a magnet for borderline-autistic types-- many such folks actually gravitate towards software as a career.  I know that a lot of folks on the autism spectrum can have language issues, but my impression is that in many cases, a big part of that is due to the need to read ambiguity, emotional context, etc. out of the communication, which is an especial challenge for autism.  Computers dispense with all of that, which can make things a lot simpler for such folks.

I'm not presuming to know anything about your own challenges, or trying to paint all autism-spectrum individuals with the same brush.  If you've already tried coding and have found language-related difficulty with it, then never mind all of the above.

I only bring it up on the off chance that maybe you haven't actually tried much coding yet and might just be assuming that it would be as hard for you as a human language-- which it might not be.

No worries, and I have looked into coding somewhat, but I've never had anyone/anything put it out straight. I've tried working with codes, yes. However I have not had a chance to be taught yet.

So I've heard, but it doesn't help my understanding when one language works better than the other.

It seems everyone else I know who is in the spectrum understands it but I've always been disconnected. I get it- sort of. With a very broken understanding.

As I've said, I've tried it, but never had a chance to learn.

4 minutes ago, awfulhumanbeing said:

Well, I'm not a programmer whatsoever, but you can hire a teacher for money. It always helps.

I'd rather reach out to this community first since there might be someone out here who can teach it better and for free.

7 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I'd rather reach out to this community first since there might be someone out here who can teach it better and for free.

I'd rather have a buffalo... Whatever.

Nothing is done for free. Teaching takes a lot of effort, you know, and nobody would guide a person into such a complicated sphere such as programming with no personal point.

If you do find someone though, I'm quite happy for you!

Edited by awfulhumanbeing

5 minutes ago, awfulhumanbeing said:

I'd rather have a buffalo... Whatever.

Nothing is done for free. Teaching takes a lot of effort, you know, and nobody would guide a person into such a complicated sphere such as programming with no personal point.

If you do find someone though, I'm quite happy for you!

Are you referring to my profile picture?

Ofc its not, but someone who is willing to nonetheless is still a fantastic offer.

I would recommend finding a book on game design. I did a bit of research into game design and game development last year and found that a lot of work goes into both. I would recommend fleshing out the idea of the game, and writing a game design document, then moving onto the coding aspects of it. I would also advise taking on a less complicated coding project before going on to a full project (that was my downfall).

2 minutes ago, Robotengineer said:

I would recommend finding a book on game design. I did a bit of research into game design and game development last year and found that a lot of work goes into both. I would recommend fleshing out the idea of the game, and writing a game design document, then moving onto the coding aspects of it. I would also advise taking on a less complicated coding project before going on to a full project (that was my downfall).

I've got the idea flush as can be- issue is, I can't make it.

The picture is done in my head, but I lack any paint brushes to put my thought onto canvas. 

There is nothing that stops you from starting right now. There are a lot of great languages. I would advise to find a language that is supported by a good IDE such as Visual Studio, as that will help you along a lot. Then head over to one of the great free resources on coding. There are dedicated courses, but also great Youtube videos that will show you how to deal with most matters in a lot of detail. Dive in and get yourself started. You first will need to learn the syntax and basic concepts of your first programming language, which requires relatively little insight and mostly plain knowledge of which terms and code to use. While learning about the basic staples that are used in pretty much every language, like declaring variables, variable types, subroutines, functions, if [...] then, while loops and more, you will start writing bits of code, learning how to apply the things you learned and seeing how they work out in practice. At first, the challenge is to make them (sort of) work at all. When you are a little more comfortable, you should try to find out what the best practices actually are and implement those, as bad programming practices are a sure-fire way of ending up with bad results. After that, when you are more used to the coding basics, you can also start reading and learning about the bigger picture, like software design, user experience, coding concepts (like object oriented programming) and more.

Teachers can only guide you along, you really need to do the work yourself. Waiting for someone to teach you is not going to work, you need to get your hands dirty. Even with a teacher the biggest part of learning is doing the work yourself.

4 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

The picture is done in my head, but I lack any paint brushes to put my thought onto canvas. 

The thing is, the technology and concepts are often intertwined. Nowadays, we have a lot of computer power at our disposal, but games still need to be built around the concept from the ground up. Some concepts are just not possible (yet), because technology is not up to the job. Translating a concept into an actual game without knowing anything about the technologies involved is probably not going to work out well.

Just look at KSP: the concept was relatively easy, yet translating it into an actual game turned out to be very complicated, took a number of failures and still imposes various limitations on its players, even after extensive problem solving and fixing. Computer games have always been at the cutting edge of what computers can do.

Do not get me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you. I think you should give it your best, because whatever the outcome, you will learn a lot of great skills and possibly create a great game.

Edited by Camacha

27 minutes ago, Camacha said:

There is nothing that stops you from starting right now. There are a lot of great languages. I would advise to find a language that is supported by a good IDE such as Visual Studio, as that will help you along a lot. Then head over to one of the great free resources on coding. There are dedicated courses, but also great Youtube videos that will show you how to deal with most matters in a lot of detail. Dive in and get yourself started. You first will need to learn the syntax and basic concepts of your first programming language, which requires relatively little insight and mostly plain knowledge of which terms and code to use. While learning about the basic staples that are used in pretty much every language, like declaring variables, variable types, subroutines, functions, if [...] then, while loops and more, you will start writing bits of code, learning how to apply the things you learned and seeing how they work out in practice. At first, the challenge is to make them (sort of) work at all. When you are a little more comfortable, you should try to find out what the best practices actually are and implement those, as bad programming practices are a sure-fire way of ending up with bad results. After that, when you are more used to the coding basics, you can also start reading and learning about the bigger picture, like software design, user experience, coding concepts (like object oriented programming) and more.

Teachers can only guide you along, you really need to do the work yourself. Waiting for someone to teach you is not going to work, you need to get your hands dirty. Even with a teacher the biggest part of learning is doing the work yourself.

The thing is, the technology and concepts are often intertwined. Nowadays, we have a lot of computer power at our disposal, but games still need to be built around the concept from the ground up. Some concepts are just not possible (yet), because technology is not up to the job. Translating a concept into an actual game without knowing anything about the technologies involved is probably not going to work out well.

Just look at KSP: the concept was relatively easy, yet translating it into an actual game turned out to be very complicated, took a number of failures and still imposes various limitations on its players, even after extensive problem solving and fixing. Computer games have always been at the cutting edge of what computers can do.

Do not get me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you. I think you should give it your best, because whatever the outcome, you will learn a lot of great skills and possibly create a great game.

Seeing my above post, this issue has just led me to believe I'm the creative type and it won't come to me... It's either that or I'm quitting early again. Either or.

5 minutes ago, insert_name said:

It's

System.out.println("hello world");

In Java, probably similar in whatever you are using 

C#... Console something or other.

Another aspect holding me back is the hardware limitations. 

Simply put- game development calls for more than 1.60GHz. I'd be better off using my xbox 360 for game development now.

32 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Seeing my above post, this issue has just led me to believe I'm the creative type and it won't come to me... It's either that or I'm quitting early again. Either or.

Being a creative type has nothing to do with having to put in work to make things happen. Whatever you create, you need to learn the tools before you can create. A painter needs to learn how to evoke images from the brush, a writer needs to learn the way of the word to stir emotions and a product designer needs to learn to translate thoughts into dimensional objects through either a CAD program or more traditional tools. Creativity is a great start, but always needs hard work and hard skills for it to bloom. Only skill can translate the creativity of the mind into actual real world products. Of course, you can always hire people with great skills, but even then you need an understanding of the subject to ask realistic things, and understand the possibilities and limitations. Having a client or boss without any knowledge of the basics is generally the worst thing for anyone in a creative job.

Please do not let this discourage you. Creating things is absolutely amazing. It might be hard work, but sitting back in the end and marvelling at what came out of your mind and hands is the best feeling in the world. After that, you get to share the fruits of your labour with the rest of the world, multiplying the enjoyment. Developing skills like these never is a waste of time and even though I am not a professional programmer, learning to code has helped me out a lot in various ways. The only way to truly fail is to give up without even trying. Just dive in and get started. If it were easy, your game probably would have existed already. Make the results come to you and crown yourself king.

There is a famous (and redacted) quote that probably applies very nicely to your situation:

We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained, and new rights to be won, and they must be won and used for the progress of all people. [...] But why, some say [...] ? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? [...]

We choose to go to the Moon! ... We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win.

Edited by Camacha

45 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Being a creative type has nothing to do with having to put in work to make things happen. Whatever you create, you need to learn the tools before you can create. A painter needs to learn how to evoke images from the brush, a writer needs to learn the way of the word to stir emotions and a product designer needs to learn to translate thoughts into dimensional objects through either a CAD program or more traditional tools. Creativity is a great start, but always needs hard work and hard skills for it to bloom. Only skill can translate the creativity of the mind into actual real world products. Of course, you can always hire people with great skills, but even then you need an understanding of the subject to ask realistic things, and understand the possibilities and limitations. Having a client or boss without any knowledge of the basics is generally the worst thing for anyone in a creative job.

Please do not let this discourage you. Creating things is absolutely amazing. It might be hard work, but sitting back in the end and marvelling at what came out of your mind and hands is the best feeling in the world. After that, you get to share the fruits of your labour with the rest of the world, multiplying the enjoyment. Developing skills like these never is a waste of time and even though I am not a professional programmer, learning to code has helped me out a lot in various ways. The only way to truly fail is to give up without even trying. Just dive in and get started. If it were easy, your game probably would have existed already. Make the results come to you and crown yourself king.

There is a famous (and redacted) quote that probably applies very nicely to your situation:

Well I'll need to know where to start. I've got the task, but what does what? Why?

27 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Well I'll need to know where to start. I've got the task, but what does what? Why?

Just start. There are very few things that must be learned before you learn others when it comes to programming. Every bit of knowledge will improve the result.

I looks like Unity programmers often use C#. Luckily, the language is useful in other scenarios too, so learning it will not be a waste regardless. Read up on the different language available and pick one that you think that suits you best, though do not get too hung up on them, as learning a different syntax (the exact words used) often is easy when you understand and know the basics. You can program through Unity (and thus Monodevelop, as I understand) or you can use an IDE like Visual Studio, which is great too. Just Googling will provide you with many places to start. Find one that suits your style, or just pick one and begin.

1 minute ago, Camacha said:

Just start. There are very few things that must be learned before you learn others when it comes to programming. Every bit of knowledge will improve the result.

I looks like Unity programmers often use C#. Luckily, the language is useful in other scenarios too, so learning it will not be a waste regardless. Read up on the different language available and pick one that you think that suits you best, though do not get too hung up on them, as learning a different syntax (the exact words used) often is easy when you understand and know the basics. You can program through Unity (and thus Monodevelop, as I understand) or you can use an IDE like Visual Studio, which is great too. Just Googling will provide you with many places to start. Find one that suits your style, or just pick one and begin.

I tried opening installing some assets for visual studio and unity but it still needs more...? Would just booting unity by itself be good?

Edited by ZooNamedGames

9 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I tried opening installing some assets for visual studio and unity but it still needs more...? Would just booting unity by itself be good?

You need to familiarize yourself with the language, so you need to be able to write and run simple programs. Getting started often requires a bit of fiddling until everything works properly, but for Unity and Visual Studio there are plenty of guides that will help you along :)

Unity by itself seems to come with Monodevelop, which allows writing code, so you do not necessarily need Visual Studio. Just start writing the first code and try to get it to work. Following along with a video might be a good idea, until you know how the process of compiling/running code works and you can try to write your own. At first, it will be frustrating, but when you get over that first hurdle you will quickly be able to do more and more. Compile often to see what your code does (or does not do). Do not quit as soon as something does not work out, but try finding out what the issue is. Do not forget that a lot of people started where you are, and asked the same questions you did. Google will be a valuable friend.

Edited by Camacha

MIT OpenCourseWare is a hell of a thing.

There's a course on Video Game Design on their channel too, but honestly I'd spend the time learning the fundamentals first.

Speaking as someone who has literally just started teaching themselves C# I can relate to alot of what @Camacha said, and I understand where you are coming from.

It is difficult to start with, but once you get the basics down, the rest will come much quicker.

The problem I found (and I'm sure you have too) is that people who do code, and most guides, seem to assume a baseline of knowledge. It goes from "Hello World" to "Ok this is all the cool stuff you can do" - there is no intermediate.

I found this website to be incredibly helpful, maybe you will too: http://www.learncs.org/

Edited by severedsolo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.