Stock extraplanetary launchpads

I'm well aware that extraplanetary launchpads exist in several mods, but I honestly think that this is something that should be part of stock KSP. Everything that it would rely on has already been added (ore, etc) and I think it would fit in well right now with stock KSP, especially considering that launching ships into space can become extremely tedious over time.

With the current level of realism that construction/movement/repairs has in KSP, this'd probably strengthen the already existing inaccuracies in KSP. I'm sure this idea would be practical soon in the near future, but for now I think we have to wait.

Cheers,

The problem is that Squad seem to go for the 1970s-1980s tech. For that time period, and even for today, it's a pipe dream. So we probably won't see it in stock.

6 hours ago, DDE said:

The problem is that Squad seem to go for the 1970s-1980s tech. For that time period, and even for today, it's a pipe dream. So we probably won't see it in stock.

This, one idea would be an smaller workshops who could make simpler stuff. Say structural elements  in one, smaller fuel tanks in another perhaps with an upgrade.
If you had to bring the rocket parts from kerbin it would be more realistic as you only assemble stuff. 

6 hours ago, magnemoe said:

This, one idea would be an smaller workshops who could make simpler stuff. Say structural elements  in one, smaller fuel tanks in another perhaps with an upgrade.
If you had to bring the rocket parts from kerbin it would be more realistic as you only assemble stuff. 

As suggested here^^

A  facility where you assemble vessels from parts brought from Kerbin could maybe be a feasible option, but to make it feel 'right' you would need to take all the stuff to build the facility first.

KSP is not, and IMO should not  become, 'Command and Conquer' where you click a location and a big factory rises out of the dust.  Those things take lots of time and materials to build, you could arguably use 'local stone' for the structure, but not the machinery to build it with, or use in it.

My "dream" for KSP is the ability to create entire space centers on foreign bodies. Places where you could build rockets, recruit Kerbals, and access a copy of the Mission Command center (offering different contracts on different bodies is just asking for trouble). However, building and launching rockets from those space centers would be incredibly expensive, at least at first. And upgrading buildings? Possible, absolutely, but you'd need to take a few really high-paying contracts before even considering the level 2 VAB on Vall, for instance. The implication is that other companies are shipping rocket parts to your extraplanetary bases, at a cost.

As to how it all would be built... I think it would be easiest for the game to pre-define available locations on the various bodies. You wouldn't have complete freedom as to where to build your space center, you would have to choose between pre-defined locations. A specific crater on the Mun. A flat-topped mountain on Eve. A plain on Duna. Just like how the KSC, the Inland Space Center and the Island Runway are all in pre-defined locations on Kerbin. Discovering those pre-defined locations would require a survey scan of the planet, maybe even painting a flag to demonstrate to the higher-ups that it is possible to land there. Maybe even returned surface samples. That would certainly make an Eve base a proper challenge to establish.

The facilities could be built by bringing the necessary parts to the pre-defined locations, after which they would be converted to regular buildings. Maybe you'd have to pay both Science and Funds to erect the buildings once parts were in place. Buildings could include ore mines, refineries and factories, to bring down the cost of fuel and parts. Maybe you'd even have to construct solar arrays or reactors too, then again that might change the genre of the game too much. Maybe just have an upgradeable "life support" building, which has to be upgraded before other buildings can be upgraded?

Anyway, no matter how it's done, I agree that Kerbalkind should strive for a permanent presence outside Kerbin. Not only would it give the game long-term goals to reach for, it would also make interplanetary exploration less daunting. After all, you don't need much delta-V to get to Duna if you launch from Minmus. From a Dres base Jool is not far beyond reach. Reach Laythe, and you can launch to Eeloo and planets beyond. With extraplanetary bases, transfer windows become less of a hassle too. There would always be some transfer window open somewhere.

I thought about the same idea aswell. The way I would like to see this implemented is this.

Require your space program to haul necessary building materials, containers and structural pieces to the target planet. To any geographic location of your choosing.

Imagine you would require to haul 4 heavy pieces whom together form a launchpad. Each piece would be very heavy but relatively compact and foldable or either constructable on the ground by engineers (go Bill)

It would then need seperate pieces for mining ores and creating metal alloys and composite materials to create tanks, nozzles and capsules. For fuel the already existing mining setup can be hooked up to the launch platform setup to create a rocket.

I would like to see limitations like weight and part limits although the launchpads can be upgraded for pricey amounts of materials.

Depending on local element deposits you could upgrade the launchpad and local facilities to 1, 2 ... 3 or more tiers each allowing heavier rockets to be launched. Maybe require heavy duty requirements like having atleast 1 engineer and scientist onboard the interplanetary launch platforms and require more then 1 scientist and engineer as you upgrade the launch sites on the ground. 

I would not allow saturn 5 sized rockets to be constructed and would limit that possibility regardless of whether a launch platform is fully upgraded. Its squad to determine what is considered the limit of building size on a interplanetary launch platform.

Required funds for building and launching offworld is increased and in addition to launching offworld launch platforms one has to spend science if its a career game to actually build these offworld platforms.

The way you describe it can already be accomplished through KAS. You can send containers full of rocket parts to offworld locations where they can be unloaded and assembled, piece by piece, by the Kerbals on site.

I know this. Honestly, the idea is based on KAS. But the stock implementation would be simpler where you would just need docking ports to attach the necessary modules together. And the actual rocket building would actually take place in a offworld vab environment limiting your construction based on your materials, funds and launch platform upgrades.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.