Do you have any "moral' rules?

ToukieToucan

A couple reasons:

• One of my earlier "rules" in this thread is "revert-flight is okay -- any space agency spends more time training and testing than flying".  But you can't train your tourists as well as you train your pilots.
  • Making every craft perfectly safe would mean giving up experimenting.  Most of my manned craft feature abort sequences, but there's always big, unwieldy, and/or experimental things where that's not possible, like my "Planespace" vertical-launched aircraft which is definitely all three.  Put anyone but a L1+ pilot aboard and they will die.
  • Space travel is still space travel.  Weight considerations are king whenever someone else isn't paying the bill.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 5:02 PM, Gaarst said:
  • Do not leave space junk
  • No excessively unrealistic design (Asparagus is banned from my game)
  • LES and abort systems on all my manned crafts (except shuttles, because a safe shuttle is not a shuttle anymore)
  • Not excessive g force on crew, I try to keep it under 3g or 3.5g for manned rockets
  • Avoid SRBs on manned rockets (expect those really cool 500t SRBs because they are just so big I can't not use them)
  • Life support, so no leaving stranded Kerbals behind
  • Safety first, especially for manned crafts because no respawns
  • No RTG or nuclear stuff on manned crafts (for now)
  • Minimise the use of nuclear stuff on all missions
  • No long missions (over 2 weeks) in a small vessel, except if its built to host Kerbals (space stations, deep space ship...)
  • No solo missions
  • No hundreds tons heavy hypergolic rockets (Real Fuels) because Proton (and these Chinese rockets) is the second stupidest thing to have gone to space (after the Space Shuttle)

And probably a few more I can't think of right now

Let's see did you read my mind throw in 2 of your rules and post it. :)  Underlined are ones I try to follow but most of the time I end up not following them, bolded are the ones I follow except for early career, crossed out are the ones I don't follow, and left alone are the ones I follow all the time.  

No open-cycle nuclear engines in the atmosphere. (The Nuclear Lightbulb from Atomic Age is closed-cycle.)

Manned craft (excluding Mk.3 aircraft) have LES or cabin ejection systems. Additionally, no reverting on manned missions unless the Kraken cometh. (There's a practical reason behind this, hiring more Kerbals can be more expensive than the lost craft, especially if you take into account the possibility of losing both)

Things I do for more practical reasons:

Make altimetry maps of any body prior to landing. (It helps when you know what kind of hills to expect.)

Make biome maps prior to biome hopping for science.

Recover everything possible to save funds even if it's not reusable.

20 hours ago, MedwedianPresident said:

I don't have any "moral" rules. Kerbals are expendable.

In career with hire cost on they end up being the most expensive parts. Hire cost for me is past 2.6 million, Eve extraction is 1/10 of this, low retrograde solar orbit is also cheaper. 

20 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

In career with hire cost on they end up being the most expensive parts. Hire cost for me is past 2.6 million, Eve extraction is 1/10 of this, low retrograde solar orbit is also cheaper. 

Just do a rescue mission, you get paid for hiring kerbals.

My rules are:

-Always do your things step by step, so never land on Duna while you havent landed on the Mun in one Savegame.

-Try not to kill the original four. (or just any Kerbal)

-Try not to use solid rocket fuel boosters.

-Just dont have more than 2 boosters in general.

-Try not to encounter the kraken.

-Dont leave your Kerbals in a tiny capsule for maximum 1 year.

-Bring all my Kerbals back home.

-Try to re-use as much Kerbals as you can.

-Make it so that you have alot of satellites around Kerbin, so you look like a pro.

8 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

Just do a rescue mission, you get paid for hiring kerbals.

I do all of them still not enough, Eve and Low solar retrograde was hypothetical rescue missions, still I start to get enough crew to put bases on all bodies and man the ships, 

2 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

I do all of them still not enough, Eve and Low solar retrograde was hypothetical rescue missions, still I start to get enough crew to put bases on all bodies and man the ships, 

Oh, are you taking 'base' missions?  The 'must have 11 kerbals and 4 pilots aboard' kind of missions.

Edited by Corona688

56 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

Oh, are you taking 'base' missions?  The 'must have 11 kerbals and 4 pilots aboard' kind of missions.

If its so many I will take some back, its nice for leveling them anyway. 
In this game I want to establish bases on all the bodies, probably not Eve, I do with the orbital base. 
So far I miss Dress, Eeloo, Vall, Laythe and Tylo, has contract on Tylo but need to design an base who can land on it also an simpler lander for crew transfer who will refuel from base. 
Minimum crew is 4 and I tend to rotate on visit. Currently have ships returning from Jool, Duna and Moho. I also have 9 kerbals returning from an training mission who also picked up two kerbal from Minmus, one stranded in orbit for contract and one redrawn from Minmus base who is reduced to 5 so my problem is mostly an lack of kerbals at the moment, I want do do Jool mission 3 with the Tylo base and its infrastructure. 
I also want to do Dress and Eeloo bases.  

If it's a real launch, not just me testing something, and a crash happens, I don't revert. 

Send probes before kerbals.

if they're stuck in a small capsule, let them EVA every now and then.

thats it for me, anything else is fair game. 

I think it is torture to lock up a Kerbal in solitary confinement for anything over a few days, so I send multiple Kerbals on the long missions, even if it is not strictly necessary.

I don't do part-clipping, except sometimes some of the science overlaps a little with the batteries (like on a corner)... but nothing major.

No mods other than KER.

The "cheat" I use the most: when a huge launcher with small reaction wheels is finally facing the right way, but is about to overshoot the marker because of the stupid auto-pilot, I time warp for 1 second, to make it stop moving. I don't consider it a big cheat, because the same ship can still be oriented the right way if I had more patience, but I don't have more patience.

For me, it really depends on the save file.

In my careers or other saves in which I am trying to run a space program, I try to ensure every Kerbal will come home alive, make sure that I don't do overly risky missions, and keep debris to the minimum.  All in all, I just try and act as if there were consequences beyond the game for my actions.  

In different save files, which mainly exist to try the crazy things which I would not do in my other saves, I act entirely without moral guidelines.  Pod racers, catapults and all the other crazy ideas I can dream up are created without regard to cost, practicality and morality.  Any casualties or other issues in these saves are just considered part of the testing process and are entirely unimportant.  

On 8/7/2016 at 4:51 PM, NSEP said:

My rules are:

-Always do your things step by step, so never land on Duna while you havent landed on the Mun in one Savegame.

** Start a mission to Duna and in the meantime explore the Mun.  You got the time.

-Try not to kill the original four. (or just any Kerbal)

**Try to encourage them to live. They will try to kill themselves on their own, one way or another.

-Try not to use solid rocket fuel boosters.

**Funds saved going with SRB's means more money for KSC upgrades.

-Just dont have more than 2 boosters in general.

**Why have 2 when you can have 4 for twice the fwoosh?

-Try not to encounter the kraken.

**It has a selective set of skills. You don't have to find it.  It will find you.

-Dont leave your Kerbals in a tiny capsule for maximum 1 year.

**This one I do concur with. Kerbonauts have to have some elbow room if they are going on a long spacelane trip.  Even including just an adapter such as the Rockomax Adapter is enough to give the look of a bit of recreation space.  The module being built for the trip to Mars gives me the claustrophobic shivers.

-Bring all my Kerbals back home.

**In your ship, or on it.

-Try to re-use as much Kerbals as you can.

**Keep your Space Program green ....wait.

-Make it so that you have alot of satellites around Kerbin, so you look like a pro.

**Kessler approved.

10 hours ago, Joonatan1998 said:

When kerbals go on dangerous missions, locking them into a tiny pod where they can only see out trough a tiny window is unethical.

They risk their lives and can't even enjoy the view.

Always use the PPD-12, or even better, the EAS-1

Just a reminder that the Mercury capsule was originally designed without a window.

1) dont kill kerbals
2) dont strand kerbals* (they had everytime the option to go to kerbin)
3)dont delete space-junk (delete space-junk is imho cheating and should have to be enabled by the debug-menu ... )
4) avoid to make space-junk
5) avoid to destroy the KSC...

2 minutes ago, W. Kerman said:

I have no moral rules. The game mechanics mean people tend to end up in two camps.

1. Masters of voodoo SSTOs

2. Heartless people who cut costs be removing heatshields, parachutes, a return to Kerbin, etc

2: ) i use drones :P - so i arnt hearthless - and a return is ... optional :D

1) sstos ... are somethimes more simpel than a normal rocket ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.