This Day in Spaceflight History

14 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

When did he have a presentation and for what?

He had a presentation about the ITS, formerley known as the MCT and his plans to colonize mars. Here's a few pics of the behemoth:

(can't figure out how to insert pictures)

erm, anyway, here's the video Musk made:

It looks awesome. It's even bigger than the Saturn V!

26 minutes ago, Garrett Kramme said:

He had a presentation about the ITS, formerley known as the MCT and his plans to colonize mars. Here's a few pics of the behemoth:

Yeah, I looked it up this morning. It's awesome! 

1 hour ago, Garrett Kramme said:

Now, how long before someone comes out with a parts pack for this?

On September 29, 1973, the Soyuz 12 spacecraft and its crew of 2 landed back at Earth after a mission to the Salyut space station.

On September 29, 1977, the Soviet Salyut 6 space station was launched into Earth orbit by an Almaz rocket. It would orbit the Earth for an accumulated 1,763 days.

Image result for salyut 6

On September 29, 1989, STS-26 and its crew of 5 launched into Earth orbit on a 4 day mission. It carried with it many onboard experiments and deployed the TDRS-3 civilian communications satellite.

Image result for sts-26 launch

On September 29, 2006, the Soyuz TMA-8 and its crew of 4 returned to Earth after a mission to the ISS.

Image result for soyuz tma-8 landing

On September 29, 2011, the Chinese Tiangong-1 spacecraft was launched. It was the first Chinese orbital lab.

Image result for tiangong-1 launch

On September 29th 1962, Alouette 1 was launched, on a Thor-Agena from Vandenberg Air Force Base pad SLC-2E.

Alouette_1.jpg

Alouette 1 was the first Canadian satellite, and the first satellite owned or operated by a country other than the US or USSR.

Also on September 29th 1962, KH-4 #12 was launched. That's not really significant in itself, but KH-4 #12 was also launched from VAFB, also used a Thor-Agena, and even launched from the other half of the same complex, SLC-2W.

1 hour ago, Kryten said:

On September 29th 1962, Alouette 1 was launched, on a Thor-Agena from Vandenberg Air Force Base pad SLC-2E.

Alouette_1.jpg

Alouette 1 was the first Canadian satellite, and the first satellite owned or operated by a country other than the US or USSR.

Also on September 29th 1962, KH-4 #12 was launched. That's not really significant in itself, but KH-4 #12 was also launched from VAFB, also used a Thor-Agena, and even launched from the other half of the same complex, SLC-2W.

Huh, didn't notice that. Thanks for posting! :)

On September 30, 1975, astronomer Charlks Kowal discovered Jupiter's moon Themisto.

Image result for themisto moon

On September 30, 1994, STS-68 and its crew of 8 launched into orbit. A launchpad abort caused a launch delay. It deployed two probes, SRL-2, a space radar laboratory; and the satellite MAPS. The shuttle and its crew landed on October 11 at Edwards AFB.

Image result for sts-68launch

On September 30, 1995, the last transmission was recieved from the Pioneer 10 spacecraft. It was located 44.7 Astronomical Units (AU) away from the Sun at the end of the year going at 2.5 AU away a year.

Image result for pioneer 10

On September 30, 2009, the Soyuz TMA-16 spacecraft and its crew (Expedition 21) of 4 launched into orbit on a mission to the ISS. It docked with the space station on October 2.

Image result for soyuz tma-16 launch

Edited by The Raging Sandwich

42 minutes ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

STS-68 and its crew of 8 launched into orbit. A launchpad abort caused a launch delay. It deployed two probes, SRL-2, a space radar laboratory; and the satellite MAPS. The shuttle and its crew landed on October 11 at Edward's AFB.

Nit - Edwards AFB, not Edward's.

On October 1st 1958, the National Aeronautics and Space Act came into effect, folding the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) and elements of the Army Ballistic Missile Agency (ABMA) and the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) into a unified civilian space agency known as NASA.

On October 1, 1945, Project Paperclip started. Its objectives were to bring the top German rocket scientists from the crippling Third Reich and bring them to America to work on missile development.

Image result for project paperclip

On October 1, 1946, the Bumper Project began. It developed two stage V-2-derived rockets. One of the Bumper rockets became the first man-made object to reach space.

Image result for bumper project

On October 1, 1958, NASA was created by President Dwight Eisenhower. It combined ARPA and NACA together.

Image result for nasa created

On October 1, 1979, Chalet 2, a Naval surveillance satellite, was launched into orbit.

Image result for chalet 2 navy surveillance satellite

On October 1, 2007, the Soyuz TMA-7 spacecraft and its crew of 3 (Expedition 12) was launched into orbit to the ISS. It docked with the station on October 3. It landed back at Earth in April of 2006.

Image result for soyuz tma-7 launch

12 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

One of the Bumper rockets became the first man-made object to reach space.

I was under the impression that the V-2s briefly dipped into space themselves.

16 minutes ago, DDE said:

I was under the impression that the V-2s briefly dipped into space themselves.

Not on operational flights, but if launched vertically they could and did. First object to reach space by the modern FAI definition (100km) was V-2 MW 18014 on June 22nd 1944.

Edited by Kryten

On October 2, 1957, the NAA launched the Jupiter A rocket. It impacted the ground about 1500 feet from the predicted impact site. It was the first us of an A-6 engine. The flight was successful overall.

Image result for jupiter a

On October 2, 1984, the Soyuz T-11 spacecraft and its crew of 3 landed back at Earth after a mission to the Soviet Salyut 7 space station.

On October 2, 1991, the Soyuz TM-13 spacecraft and its crew of 3 launched into orbit on a mission to the Mir space station.

Image result for soyuz tm-13

52 minutes ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

On October 2, 1991, the Soyuz TM-13 spacecraft and its crew of 3 launched into orbit on a mission to the Mir space station.

Image result for soyuz tm-13

Have you noticed how this thread is about 60% the Soyuz, photographed from every imaginable angle?

2 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Russians tend to have their fair share of Soyuz vehicles.

Should be about the same proportion of Shuttles since to date there's been roughly the same number of Shuttle flights (135) as of manned Soyuz variants (124).  So, either DDE is off in his estimation of the proportions, or Raging Sandwich posts fewer Shuttle pictures than Soyuz pictures.

Unless DDE meant the Soyuz booster, which has flown more than 1700 times.

On 1/08/2016 at 0:30 PM, The Raging Sandwich said:

I was going to finally stop doing this on July 16, 2017 when I have been doing this for a year.

Seriously? On my Birthday? You would END one of my favourite topics on my birthday... why not just shoot me, it would be quicker! :(

I feel the thread should evolve.... you have done the past... why not use this thread to give advanced warning for future launches and accomplishments ... and posting newly discovered astronomical facts / photos...

I'd like it if I had advanced warning of a launch so i could watch it online...  OR... warning of an eclipse or whatever...

This thread should not be allowed to die... it should live on... you should be made the curator of the thread for life. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.