The Must See of Space Based Motion Pictures

something

Regarding classics: Forbidden Planet.

First old scifi movie older than star trek/wars for me.

Anime: Space Brothers

Cool series about two japanese brothers and their life at being and becoming astronauts.

Newer movie: The Martian

It is seriously lacking compared to the book, but if you read it you can fill in the gaps and still fully enjoy it.

6 hours ago, Robotengineer said:

the best zero-G effects in a movie yet

22 hours ago, Andem said:

Apollo 13, anyone?

They actually flew in a Vomit Comet to make the Zero-G shots... actual zero-g!

On 11.9.2016 at 6:29 PM, something said:

Raumpatroulie Orion has been translated to English? Wow,wasn't aware of that. Definitely a nice series in the German original version, though.

As for Apollo 13 - why shouldn't it count towards Space Based Science Fiction?

No, you got me wrong, i don't know (idk). I would be astonished if not but i don't know. It was a product of a time when everybody talked about space and aliens haunted the household am radios :-)

15 hours ago, Robotengineer said:

Gravity? Don't kill me. The special effects tho, and the best zero-G effects in a movie yet... Just forget about orbital mechanics (and basic physics) and enjoy it. 

Oh, again with this. Yes, orbital mechanics were ignored, but newtonian mechanics were superb as well as acoustics.

I'll add my vote for Europa Report.

Guardians of the Galaxy was fun and deserves its high ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.

I don't understand the love for Gravity and Interstellar; I disliked them both. They both seemed to be less about the plot and more about the visuals.

But Close Encounters is worth seeing, despite being a bit dated, weird and having plenty of holes in the plot. I even had the five tones from that film as my ringtone for a while, a few years back...

And I am looking forward to seeing Arrival. This thread didn't exist yet when I started a thread about that film on Saturday, but I will repeat what I said there: That I hope it lives up to the reviews and that the trailers are misleading in the same way that the trailers for Europa Report were misleading - that it isn't just a cheezy thriller.

Edited by PakledHostage

How have we gone this long and NOT mention From the Earth to the Moon? It's a FANTASTIC mini-series.

For those not in the know, From the Earth to the Moon is a HBO mini-series directed by Tom Hanks (and many others) which follows the history of the US space program (from 1960-1970s) as drama. It's specifically a docudrama, following real events but acting them out as if fiction. Each episode is different and each is amazing. You will love it.

On 14.9.2016 at 5:47 AM, PakledHostage said:

But Close Encounters is worth seeing, despite being a bit dated, weird and having plenty of holes in the plot. I even had the five tones from that film as my ringtone for a while, a few years back...

Should be followed by James Bond - Moonraker  --  for reasons that will become apparent during the movie. :D

And it is also kind of a space movie in some parts. :wink:

Further to my previous post about The Last Starfighter.  It is just about the best teenage boy's wish fulfillment movie ever.  It doesn't take itself too seriously and is quite funny in parts.  It has great music and the best final scene.  As an aside, it was the first film to use CGI instead of models and miniatures.  A couple of previous films had used CGI, notably Tron, but they had used  CGI to simulate computer graphics! The whole film is on youtube. Search for 'the last starfighter full movie' with no quotes and it will be the first on the list.

50 minutes ago, Nikolai said:

Here in the States, it's called October Sky.  And yes, it is a great movie. :)

Right! I forgot it was called that, all I remember is they were called the Rocket Boys in real life ( I think). I wrote that at 10 PM and was really tired.

2 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

all I remember is they were called the Rocket Boys in real life ( I think).

It was based on a book that was pretty autobiographical with that title -- Rocket Boys, by Homer Hickam (the main character in the movie).

2 hours ago, razark said:

October Sky is also an anagram of Rocket Boys.

Yes, it is.  Holy monkey.  I never noticed that.  Good catch.

Edited by Nikolai

1 hour ago, Nikolai said:

It was based on a book that was pretty autobiographical with that title -- Rocket Boys, by Homer Hickam (the main character in the movie).

Yeah, must have confused t with that. If I remember correctly Homer made it as an engineer on the Shuttle in the 80's.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.