[KSP 1.3.1] Bon Voyage 0.13.2.1 - Make your wheels rolling! 2017-10-15

RealGecko

Can someone please explain the math behind the rover speed? It says that average speed is 25 m/s, rover is manned, power generation is 30 EC/s (3.5 EC/s required). But when I activate the ride, switch to KSC and open the BV window, the speed is only 6.3 m/s. Why is it being reduced this much?

Spoiler

Fs8wZl7.png

uo19mLg.png

25 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Can someone please explain the math behind the rover speed? It says that average speed is 25 m/s, rover is manned, power generation is 30 EC/s (3.5 EC/s required). But when I activate the ride, switch to KSC and open the BV window, the speed is only 6.3 m/s. Why is it being reduced this much?

A rover's speed is also reduced by some margin during dawn/dusk/night. If you'll be watching BV window, than you'll probably see, that the speed is raised during local day (where the rover currently is). BonVoyage control panel probably needs revision regarding displayed values.

28 minutes ago, maja said:

A rover's speed is also reduced by some margin during dawn/dusk/night. If you'll be watching BV window, than you'll probably see, that the speed is raised during local day (where the rover currently is). BonVoyage control panel probably needs revision regarding displayed values.

Got it, thanks! Also, this:

Spoiler

UhbyIxo.png

It's drawing the path from the currently active vessel, not from the rover.

1 hour ago, Danilo Coelho said:

I've been testing this mod, but i've acidentally hided the icon. Anybody knows how to enable it again?

Just delete the file GameData/BonVoyage/PluginData/BonVoyage/config.xml. It will get recreated with default settings next time you start the game.

On 15/09/2017 at 9:36 AM, maja said:

@Centuri72 @Vaga BonVoyage isn't compatible with the latest version of TAC-LS. I'm working on it, but I can't say right now, when it will be done.

Just FYI guys, a very easy workaround to this TAC issue is to play as normal, but whenever you actually want to move something with bon voyage, just flick into your difficulty settings in game and switch off TAC's 'unloaded vessel resource processing', complete the move, and then switch them back on again. Works a charm.

Version 0.13.1 with new and shiny support for background processing mods (yes, I'm looking at you TAC-LS :cool: )

Get it on GitHub   or SpaceDock

Changes
- Displayed information revision
- Change in background processing (TAC-LS compatibility!)
- Pilots and USI Scouts affect rover speed depending on their level

Fixes
- Fixed drawing of the line to a target
- Fixed wrong path to images on Linux
- Various fixes

Edited by maja

have been testing the new release.  very nice!

in the future, would it be possible to have ability to 

a) set max speed to use?  to help with not 'hurting' the rover 

b) ability to select and show the route that bon voyage is using.  it shows up now for a little bit and then fads away.  would be real nice if that could stay until toggle off .

just some initial ideas.

very, very nice.  i look forward to testing this out on various rovers and planets / moons.

thanks alot.

Cheers.

47 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Does this go by a skill?  (Can my other classes with the correct skill also work with it?)

By a trait. Scouts have lower bonus than pilots. What classes do you have?

25 minutes ago, drtedastro said:

have been testing the new release.  very nice!

in the future, would it be possible to have ability to 

a) set max speed to use?  to help with not 'hurting' the rover 

b) ability to select and show the route that bon voyage is using.  it shows up now for a little bit and then fads away.  would be real nice if that could stay until toggle off .

just some initial ideas.

very, very nice.  i look forward to testing this out on various rovers and planets / moons.

thanks alot.

Cheers.

Speed depends mainly on the number of active wheels. Disable motors on wheels (not all of course) and it will be lower.

Just now, drtedastro said:

H'mm, i will 'try' that.

I was guessing that the more drive wheels, the better the traction would be if a steep slope was encountered.

I will see if i can find some other way to slow'er down.

thanks.

Slope steepness isn't implemented yet. If and when it will be, then a speed will be changed accordingly.

16 minutes ago, maja said:

By a trait. Scouts have lower bonus than pilots. What classes do you have?

From someplace around here on the forums I have Kolonist, which is a mix of the main three - designed to be someone who can pilot a rover, fix it's wheels, and reset it's experiments, without having any of the higher-level abilities.  I've also been playing around with three of my own, which I may eventually make into a PR for MKS: Daredevils, Researchers, Repairmen.  Which are basically the base three, *without* any MKS or other mechanics added in.  (So no colonization bonuses, or hab time extensions, or anything like that.  The intent is to have some cheaper early-game Kerbals for MKS, when you really need the skills from the base sets, but haven't gotten into colonizing other planets or anything.)

3 minutes ago, DStaal said:

From someplace around here on the forums I have Kolonist, which is a mix of the main three - designed to be someone who can pilot a rover, fix it's wheels, and reset it's experiments, without having any of the higher-level abilities.  I've also been playing around with three of my own, which I may eventually make into a PR for MKS: Daredevils, Researchers, Repairmen.  Which are basically the base three, *without* any MKS or other mechanics added in.  (So no colonization bonuses, or hab time extensions, or anything like that.  The intent is to have some cheaper early-game Kerbals for MKS, when you really need the skills from the base sets, but haven't gotten into colonizing other planets or anything.)

I can probably combine trait and skill for different bonuses. I'll look into it.

Works like a charm. Saved me lots of time.

Suggestion: What about battery powered rovers? After all the only thing more annoying than driving two hours with a Rover is driving two hours with a Rover in the dark :(. Just estimate the possible distance that can be driven with the avaiable EC before the trip and stop the Rover after that distance. If the Rover is loaded again during the voyage the EC left could be claculated by looking at the already completed distance.

2 hours ago, Bauboo said:

Works like a charm. Saved me lots of time.

Suggestion: What about battery powered rovers? After all the only thing more annoying than driving two hours with a Rover is driving two hours with a Rover in the dark :(. Just estimate the possible distance that can be driven with the avaiable EC before the trip and stop the Rover after that distance. If the Rover is loaded again during the voyage the EC left could be claculated by looking at the already completed distance.

Nope. Add some other power source or wait until morning.

Is there anything in this mod that indicates why it won't recognize a rover?

I created a rover, attached a BV module to its front, and launched it. (This is a test rover, without rocket.) The BV mod doesn't recognize it at all. At first I thought it was possibly an issue with Kerbal Foundries wheels, and so I replaced those with stock wheels, to no effect.

Even after removing all solar panels and replacing them with a ridiculous amount of RTGs -- nothing. I may as well have never attached a BV module.

I'm sure I did something really silly, but I feel like I'm missing something, despite having gone over the OP and its list of requirements repeatedly.

1 hour ago, LitaAlto said:

Is there anything in this mod that indicates why it won't recognize a rover?

I created a rover, attached a BV module to its front, and launched it. (This is a test rover, without rocket.) The BV mod doesn't recognize it at all. At first I thought it was possibly an issue with Kerbal Foundries wheels, and so I replaced those with stock wheels, to no effect.

Even after removing all solar panels and replacing them with a ridiculous amount of RTGs -- nothing. I may as well have never attached a BV module.

I'm sure I did something really silly, but I feel like I'm missing something, despite having gone over the OP and its list of requirements repeatedly.

Screenshots and logs can help, you know.

Move a rover after the launch a little bit, if you are not doing this. It must register, that the rover is launched.

Edited by maja

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.