Devnote Tuesday: 1.2 Pre-release, the bug hunt and more!

SQUAD

@razark Err.. I mean went extinct or "evolved" to not chase rockets due to the multiple daily launches with a 50% "oops" rate on or just above the launch pad. At least in some of my KSP universes (not my career mode, it's only progressed slightly faster than real space programs :D).

2 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

If a certain mishap with a certain solar thermal power plant has taught us anything it's that either birds like bright lights or they all have an instinctive desire to become Kentucky fried chicken. :wink:

Re: the video: At first I was like "maybe it's ok" then I realized several of them probably roasted :(

Edited by lurkoholic

2 hours ago, psychogre said:

I've always wondered why there are bird chirping sounds at all -- there's not a single tree on the whole planet!

Someone doesn't play with ground scatter turned on! :P
Granted they are ghost trees...
Now the more pressing issue... How are any birds left at the KSC with JEB   blowi...   err... launching ships all the time!?

Edited by richfiles

10 minutes ago, richfiles said:

Someone doesn't play with ground scatter turned on! :P
Granted they are ghost trees...
Now the more pressing issue... How are any birds left at the KSC with JEB   blowi...   err... launching ships all the time!?

Easy some one is feeding them the snacks that's how they test the astronaut food :wink:

23 hours ago, passinglurker said:

Easy some one is feeding them the snacks that's how they test the astronaut food :wink:

I think they're trying to get at the snacks... but do you really think Jeb and gang are gonna let the KSC R&D team test snacks on anyone but themselves? Jeb's not gonna turn down free snacks, no-sir-e! The birds... They try... They try so hard, hoping for Jeb's crumbs...

Oh, and the only reason there are no trees left at the KSC, is the early kerbals used them all up, thanks to their uniquely combustible sap and tough, fibrous bark.
kerbal_primal_by_algiark-d9tz64v.jpg

Is it weird that I've kept almost every revision of the experimentals on my computer since 1.1 that I could (Mac only, though), and main releases since I've owned it? I suppose if there's ever a funny glitch device to build... It can be my screw around archive.

I missed out saving 1.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.3 (release), but I have 6 experimentals for 1.1 and 7 so far for 1.2. I have no idea why I feel like saving them. If I were smart, I'd have been booting into Windows and loading those too, but... I never thought about doing that. I'll save 1.1.3 and 1.2 and call it good for the Windows platform. I have KSP back to 0.25, and I have all the old versions that are legally publicly available, but none of the intermediate releases.

Still wish Squad would release a "KSP Nostalgia Pack", that would include the most stable variants of KSP over the years, as it grew in early access. It'd give new players a chance to taunt the magic boulder, as it was originally meant to be taunted, to see KSP in the early days. Maybe someday when the scope of the current release is so far removed from classic alpha KSP that they can justify letting it be relatively cheap. I'm drifting though... Dat 1.2 tho... :cool:

Edited by richfiles
Spellunking derps

21 minutes ago, Garibaldi2257 said:

it didn't start out at $30.  it started out at $60.  the DLC also started at $60.  they have since dropped the price, obviously.

Not on console. It started out at $30 US on Xbox One and it is currently the same price. I bought the game day one when it released into early access. Not looking to argue about it really. I think that is the second person trying to price check me on that. The price might have been different on PC. I think it might have been the first game released into the Xbox One preview program actually. Elite dangerous core has always been $30 on console, sorry. 

1 hour ago, DOCTOR DEMENTAL said:

No game at any scope and any price that can consistently delete your entire game progress should ever be released without a 'BETA' label.

Yep that's what people have been saying since the rushed version 0.90 "beta" that jumped straight from the 0.24 alpha. From a practicality and polish standpoint 1.0 and 1.1 were just beta's in disguise it was quite disappointing.

This nightmare has been a long time coming but there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. The dev team has been turned over with fresh talented passionate faces from the PC modding community that know this game inside and out, the console patch is advancing to certification, corporate greed came back to bite the executives with the disastrous console release so I'm sure microsoft and sony are now breathing down thier necks and putting weight on them to put out a quality product or else lose the revenue, and as a result the 1.2 prerelease is going better than anyone expected with no sign of short sighted rushing resulting in a solid game to build and port on for years to come. Yes things are finally after a very long long long long looooooooooooong time looking up.

6 hours ago, passinglurker said:

Yep that's what people have been saying since the rushed version 0.90 "beta" that jumped straight from the 0.24 alpha. From a practicality and polish standpoint 1.0 and 1.1 were just beta's in disguise it was quite disappointing.

If you're going to critique versioning at least get it correct. 

5 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Compare that to something called battlefield in the past in comparsion to this KSP Releases and the time between patches I am very happy with ksp... (not everything is shiney but hey nothing is without its "dark side" even the mun ;-)

A KSP-er should know better than anyone that the Mun has a far side, but not a dark side!:sticktongue:

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

A KSP-er should know better than anyone that the Mun has a far side, but not a dark side!:sticktongue:

A KSP-er should know better than anyone that the Mun has a dark side; it just rotates.

20 hours ago, chimpbone said:

Not on console. It started out at $30 US on Xbox One and it is currently the same price. I bought the game day one when it released into early access. Not looking to argue about it really. I think that is the second person trying to price check me on that. The price might have been different on PC. I think it might have been the first game released into the Xbox One preview program actually. Elite dangerous core has always been $30 on console, sorry. 

Fair enough.  it started as $60 on PC is what I should have said.  I apologize.

21 hours ago, passinglurker said:

This nightmare has been a long time coming but there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. The dev team has been turned over with fresh talented passionate faces from the PC modding community that know this game inside and out, the console patch is advancing to certification, corporate greed came back to bite the executives with the disastrous console release so I'm sure microsoft and sony are now breathing down thier necks and putting weight on them to put out a quality product or else lose the revenue, and as a result the 1.2 prerelease is going better than anyone expected with no sign of short sighted rushing resulting in a solid game to build and port on for years to come. Yes things are finally after a very long long long long looooooooooooong time looking up.

Or like, the Unity upgrade kind of required re-writing most of the game and a lot things got put off until it was done. Maybe that. 

14 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I have a question that I do not think has been addressed yet. I am curious to know if the memory leaks have been plugged. 

All the ones I know of were plugged in the 1.1 update, or maybe one of the 1.1.x updates. Are there any still open on the bug tracker, and/or are you experiencing one? Maybe you're doing something nobody else does and found a new one.

On 9/21/2016 at 11:20 AM, Bomaye said:

Uhmmm, only game that is bug free that comes to mind is "Pac-Man", but then again I'm old so it can also be that I'm dement.:confused:

Might want to rethink that thing about Pac-Man being bug free, look up the level 256 glitch.

They're doing wonderful work on KSP and things are looking good. Am going to see if a bug I saw in built 1523 still exists in build 1540 and if so, report it. But the changes so far look fantastic, but definitely not bug free. And on my wish list, I would love to see the functionality of Kerbal Alarm Clock to be built-in instead of as a mod, let's me manage multiple missions simultaneously so I don't waste multiple in game years on a outer system mission, yet don't miss or forget to go active on space craft that are approaching a maneuver node. Also lets me easily see what contracts are coming due so I can take care of 'em. 

4 minutes ago, John Cochran said:

They're doing wonderful work on KSP and things are looking good. Am going to see if a bug I saw in built 1523 still exists in build 1540 and if so, report it. But the changes so far look fantastic, but definitely not bug free. And on my wish list, I would love to see the functionality of Kerbal Alarm Clock to be built-in instead of as a mod, let's me manage multiple missions simultaneously so I don't waste multiple in game years on a outer system mission, yet don't miss or forget to go active on space craft that are approaching a maneuver node. Also lets me easily see what contracts are coming due so I can take care of 'em. 

Being without KAC for the 1.2 pre-release testing, I have started relying on the 'next burn node time' in the tracking station.

I would prefer a fuller implementation of KAC, but at least they have a way to easily track which vessel has the next burn node in stock...

10 minutes ago, nomercy4you said:

Still waiting for new dev notes :D or can we even expect a release? two weeks of testing done...

My suspicion, which is purely my own, is that it will not likely be this week.  Just yesterday evening they released a bunch of bug fixes and we have barely had time to work with them.  The good news is they do seem to be winding down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.