micha

[1.4.x - 1.7.x] Nehemia Engineering Orbital Science (NEOS) (0.8.2)

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

Not at all - I went through the same process to work it out as well. Aren't we all are Kerbals at one time, learning as we go? :):P 

Haven't used KCT, but can understand the reluctance to wait for it to be built again. *tick-tick-tick-tick*

I've found most of the experiments are great as set-and-forget missions for the Kerbs to do while passing time on a space station. I rarely timewarp an experiment, but if you're testing - hyperediting up to orbit will help a lot with trying the details this mod pack.

All kudos to @micha for their efforts in keeping this pack going. I find this addition a lot of fun.

Same. This is really great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question to all you mod-users: do you think it makes sense to continue to have this mod collection split up the way it is, or would you prefer it to be released as a single mod?

From a gamers perspective it consists of Kemini, KEES, and OMS/KLS as three distinct sets of orbital experiments. From a developers perspective it also consists of the plugin and some shared parts/data.

The original idea for splitting it up was partially to allow people to only install the part they would be interested in to avoid cluttering up the VAB/Tech Tree with unused parts but also to be more friendly for low-bandwidth users, especially if an update or patch only affects part of the collection.

However, in practice, every component has been updated and re-released whenever something got changed to ensure consistency.

This would make it a little bit easier for new releases as well as removing spam from AVC and CKAN.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

EDIT: Just as an aside, the individual release packs have been downloaded about 30 times each, whereas the complete pack was downloaded over 1150 times.. that's nearly a 40:1 ratio!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only use I can see for keeping separate downloads is if the theme or balance is drastically different between modules, so many people would like to download one part individually. But that doesn't seem to be the case, and there aren't huge disparities between modules. It's all around the same idea - long-term orbital experiments, just different tech levels. Also, separate downloads can be confusing for someone that just wants all the stuff.

Maybe keep separate folders and if someone really wants one module gone, tell them to delete that folder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any issues with finalizing an experiment? I had missions to run KEES POSA II in orbit of the Mun & Minmus. So I launched 2 different ships to go to both places & run both experiments. I ran the both in a stable orbit until they finished, but then when I click the "Finalize" button nothing happens? Maybe another mod is messing it up or something? Dunno whats wrong. :( I could run it fine when I was in orbit around Kerbin.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RX2000 said:

Anyone have any issues with finalizing an experiment? I had missions to run KEES POSA II in orbit of the Mun & Minmus. So I launched 2 different ships to go to both places & run both experiments. I ran the both in a stable orbit until they finished, but then when I click the "Finalize" button nothing happens? Maybe another mod is messing it up or something? Dunno whats wrong. :( I could run it fine when I was in orbit around Kerbin.....

Works for me; Logs please.

I know that Crowd-source-science messes up Kemini (I've raised an issue to the author but haven't heard back), so possibly messes up KEES as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, micha said:

I know that Crowd-source-science messes up Kemini (I've raised an issue to the author but haven't heard back), so possibly messes up KEES as well.

That's very interesting.  In what way, if you don't mind saying?

I ask because I've been using the two together & they seem to work OK... so far (well, except for seeing available Kemini/KEES contracts for experiments I've already run) 
Caveat: I'm still on KSP 1.3, with 1.3-appropriate versions of the mods.

Wondering if it's best to drop crowd-sourced science for now.
Kemini/KEES is more important to my load order, and I'd rather not get an unpleasant surprise later in my career game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, micha said:

Works for me; Logs please.

I know that Crowd-source-science messes up Kemini (I've raised an issue to the author but haven't heard back), so possibly messes up KEES as well.

Newb question, but how do I get you the logs, or which logs do you need?    

I dont think I have crowd source science installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, RX2000 said:

Newb question, but how do I get you the logs, or which logs do you need?    

I dont think I have crowd source science installed.

In you KSP directory you should have a "KSP.log" file. I need that please.

Alternatively if you can save your game (Press ESC then "Save Game") just before the issue shows up and send me the save-file I can look at the problem here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, micha said:

In you KSP directory you should have a "KSP.log" file. I need that please.

Alternatively if you can save your game (Press ESC then "Save Game") just before the issue shows up and send me the save-file I can look at the problem here.

Well when I got home I dug through my mod list again (I'm running like 60+ mods atm) & lo & behold there was Crowd Source Science in with the mix. :( So I got rid of that one & it seems like the KEES experiments are working correctly now! Thanks!! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RX2000 said:

Well when I got home I dug through my mod list again (I'm running like 60+ mods atm) & lo & behold there was Crowd Source Science in with the mix. :( So I got rid of that one & it seems like the KEES experiments are working correctly now! Thanks!! :D 

Ok, that's interesting; CSS only adds extra experiment results so I really have no idea how it's interfering with the way NEOS works. I had a brief look at the CSS code, and there's nothing in there which I can see which could cause issues. Anyway, something to bear in mind; in the meantime I'll update the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to bother, but I'm having issues with the Kemini experiment parts, as I'm not able to load any of those experiments into any part in VAB or SPH build-modes. I cannot mountain or input Kemini experiment parts into any Command Pod that I tried, Squad's Mk1-2 Command Pod included. I have this mod correctly installed, the KEES and the MPL experiments work fine for me and I'm thankful to the creators and maintainers of this wonderful mod.

I also have KIS, KAS and Modular Fuel Tanks installed among others, as they might play along in my issue, but there isn't any option available to a command pod in VAB to load any experiment nor any of the other trunks aside KIS-capable modules. Using KIS, the first Kemini part I tried is 1680 Liters to put in a third parties trunk, which is, considering it's mass of only 5 kilograms, quite ridiculous. Aside towing around massive 1.5 ton 18KL KIS-containers allowing for 9 Kemini experiments, which I haven't even tested into properly loading and experimenting, is there any other way into Kemini?

Edit: I fixed this by adding a module manager patch to each of the Kemini parts to overwrite their volume to something like 120 liters, and adding the Kemini lab module to one of the parts of my build (I altered the K2 command pod module manager patch to work for the KSP Interstellar Science Laboratory - which is fine for me as a place to experiment with Kemini). It now works for me and is at acceptable towing volume.

Edited by Yorick1234

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Yorick1234 said:

I'm sorry to bother, but I'm having issues with the Kemini experiment parts, as I'm not able to load any of those experiments into any part in VAB or SPH build-modes. I cannot mountain or input Kemini experiment parts into any Command Pod that I tried, Squad's Mk1-2 Command Pod included. I have this mod correctly installed, the KEES and the MPL experiments work fine for me and I'm thankful to the creators and maintainers of this wonderful mod.

I also have KIS, KAS and Modular Fuel Tanks installed among others, as they might play along in my issue, but there isn't any option available to a command pod in VAB to load any experiment nor any of the other trunks aside KIS-capable modules. Using KIS, the first Kemini part I tried is 1680 Liters to put in a third parties trunk, which is, considering it's mass of only 5 kilograms, quite ridiculous. Aside towing around massive 1.5 ton 18KL KIS-containers allowing for 9 Kemini experiments, which I haven't even tested into properly loading and experimenting, is there any other way into Kemini?

Edit: I fixed this by adding a module manager patch to each of the Kemini parts to overwrite their volume to something like 120 liters, and adding the Kemini lab module to one of the parts of my build (I altered the K2 command pod module manager patch to work for the KSP Interstellar Science Laboratory - which is fine for me as a place to experiment with Kemini). It now works for me and is at acceptable towing volume.

I think you didn`t understand the Kemini-Experiments. Kemini-Experiments don`t need some volume because they are no physical parts like any other parts (the parts are only for research in R&D). So you can`t and don`t need to store them to the inventary like KEES or other parts. The configs add slots to some pods (add your own configs for missing parts is very easy). Rightclick the pod in VAB/SPH. There are two options "Add Experiment". After clicking here you can choose the Kemini-Experiments in an menue and you can add 2 of them. After launch into orbit you can start the experiments (only one at a time) per rightclick-menue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've made a pre-release with quite a few changes.

The OP has been updated but here is the link to the GitHub release and changelog.

Warning: This release may break save-games, and is not backwards-compatible, so take a backup of your saves before installing!

I'd love to get some feedback on the KSPedia and the ability to add new Kemini and KEES experiments just by editing configuration files.

 

EDIT: I'd especially like some help from people who have established save games with this mod to see if the changes affect their saves or not.

Edited by micha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we talking day of weeks for a proper release? Was about to kick off a new game, but I'll hang out a little if a full release is close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming no major issues are found I'm planning to make a proper release within a week.

It -should- be safe to upgrade anyway but as I did tweak the savefile a little i wanted to see whether anybody has any problems with that first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are the Kemini experiments like D5 and D7 are missing from basic mode in the VAB? I can only find them in advanced mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DrPastah said:

Why are the Kemini experiments like D5 and D7 are missing from basic mode in the VAB? I can only find them in advanced mode.

What do you mean by "Basic Mode" and "Advanced Mode"?  The Kemini experiments never show up in the VAB directly, they show up when you right-click on a Mk1 command pod and use the "Add Experiment" menu item.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, micha said:

What do you mean by "Basic Mode" and "Advanced Mode"?  The Kemini experiments never show up in the VAB directly, they show up when you right-click on a Mk1 command pod and use the "Add Experiment" menu item.

Oh....where's the guide? lol

Also, I can bring out the part in VAB by going into advanced mode and looking at nehemia for manufacturer.

Edited by DrPastah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DrPastah said:

Oh....where's the guide? lol

Also, I can bring out the part in VAB by going into advanced mode and looking at nehemia for manufacturer.

Read my instruction a few post above yours. There are NO Kemini-parts. To repeat Micha: what do you mean witt basic mode and advanced mode???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cheesecake said:

Read my instruction a few post above yours. There are NO Kemini-parts. To repeat Micha: what do you mean witt basic mode and advanced mode???

This: FtnI84O.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This are no physical Parts which you can use. The parts are only for research the experiments in the R&D. Use my instruction to correct use of kemini. They can add by an menu by right-clicking the pod.

Edited by Cheesecake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DrPastah said:

This: 

...!

That's interesting. I'll have to see if I can disable that somehow. You can't do anything with the parts in the VAB anyway as they don't have colliders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.