Parts list flicker/editor HUD elements disappearing

6 minutes ago, Space Cowboy Bob said:

Can anyone confirm this is happening when Interstellar Fuelswitch or Interstellar Fuelswitch core is not installed. When I remove that the flicker stops, but when I do I also have to remove a parts mod that is depending on IFS so I can't confirm if it's the lastk of IFS or the fact of a smaller parts count.

Sadly, I can confirm that it does still happen with Interstellar Fuel Switch / Core uninstalled. Doing so removed four other mods for me, but I still have lots of other part mods, and it still flickers. Maybe ever so slightly less often, but I can't really say that with certainty.

I'm also having this issue. I've recorded a short video and have a screenshot of my current gamedata. The game was at 1366x768 at the time but it happened for me at 1600x900. Everything is up to date except RCS sounds. Windows 10 Anniversary, 12 gb ram, Intel i-7 8-core, Nvidia GTX 1070. I think we can rule off ram or vram as the issue too.

I did now several tests more.

Thats my base list with 36 mods (KIS stripped to 7 parts and KAS (stripped to 9 parts), Karbonite (1 tank 4 SRB deleted). Module manager patch count 1079 - NO Flicker

Spoiler

KSP: 1.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
USI Tools - 0.8.1
AtmosphereAutopilot - 1.5.8
B9 Part Switch - 1.5
B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.40.8
Bon Voyage - 0.10.2
Camera Focus Changer - 1.0
Chatterer - 0.9.91.1586
Community Category Kit - 0.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.6.1
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.1.1
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.3.2
EVA Transfer - 1.0.5
Firespitter - 7.4.1
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6
Kerbin Environmental Institute - 1.2
HyperEdit - 1.5.3
KerbNet Controller - 1.0.2
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.3
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
Final Frontier - 1.2.1.2650
Part Angle Display - 0.3.2.1
PlanetShine - 0.2.5.2
Portrait Stats - 1.0.12
SCANsat - 1.1.6.9
Science Relay - 1.0.1
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8
TweakScale - 2.3
USI Core - 0.3.1
Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.9
Karbonite - 0.8
Karibou - 0.3
Konstruction - 0.1.4
USI-LS - 0.5.1
Malemute Rover - 0.2
UKS - 0.50
Sounding Rockets - 0.5.1
[x] Science! - 5.1

Tests with above in spoiler base mods in mind:

KAS is stripped to 9 parts /// KIS is stripped to 7 parts /// AmpYear is stripped to 0 parts /// Orbital Utility Vehicle is stripped to 4 parts

Flexo Docking owns 3 Parts /// Planetary Domes owns 8 parts

01. 37 Mods: Base + Toolbar; MM 1079 Patches - Flicker

Why is Toolbar here not working with this setting.

02. 37 Mods: Base + Tweakscale; 1370 Patches - NO Flicker

Fine that Tweakscale likes to play, even with much more patches in MM 

03. 37 Mods: Base + AmpYear (0p); MM 1723 Patches - Flicker 

Same as Toolbar, but okay we have much more patches in MM, that must it be!

04. 36 Mods: Base + Toolbar -- KAS; MM 1070 Patches - NO Flicker

Oh, i really thought Toolbar don't like to work with ..perhaps the amount of mods

05. 37 Mods: Base + Toolbar + Tweakscale -- KAS; MM 1354 Patches - NO Flicker

I'm surprised that Toolbar works fine with Tweakscale, so KAS and the 9 parts less must be the reason.

06. 38 Mods: Base + Toolbar + Tweakscale AmpYear (0p) -- KAS; MM 1989 Patches - NO Flicker

I wanna see another candidate that did not work at test 03., but well, all is okay. So KIS is t he bad boy?

07. 38 Mods: Base + Toolbar + Tweakscale AmpYear (0p) -- KIS; MM 1994 Patches - NO Flicker

Nope, even with KIS instead of KAS all is fine.

08. 39 Mods: Base + Toolbar + Tweakscale AmpYear (0p) + Orbital Utility Vehicle (4p) -- KIS; MM 2014 Patches - NO Flicker

Okay, KIS and KAS had parts, so bring other parts to the game. KIS has 7 parts, we give the game +4 parts = 3 less than on test 01. Worked!

09. 39 Mods: Base + Toolbar + Tweakscale AmpYear (0p) + Orbital Utility Vehicle (4p) -- KAS; MM 2009 Patches - NO Flicker

Okay, KIS and KAS had parts, so bring other parts to the game. KAS has 9 parts, we give the game +4 parts = 5 less than on test 01. Kas is not having probs too.

10. 40 Mods: Base + Toolbar + Tweakscale AmpYear (0p) + Orbital Utility Vehicle (4p) + Flexo Docking (3p) -- KAS; MM 2015 Patches - NO Flicker

Some more parts! KAS has 9 parts, so i try it with 7 parts, so -2 are still in account. Worked!

11. 40 Mods: Base + Toolbar + Tweakscale AmpYear (0p) + Orbital Utility Vehicle (4p) + Flexo Docking (3p) -- KIS; MM 2020 Patches - NO Flicker

All or nothing! KIS has 7 parts, so lets equalize it with 7 parts on 2 mods. That must fail by part number compared to test 01. Damned it worked. Why! We have same parts number, much more patches as test 01 or 03 and we have 3 more mods in total. 

12. 41 Mods: Base + Toolbar + Tweakscale AmpYear (0p) + Orbital Utility Vehicle (4p) + Flexo Docking (3p) + Planetary Domes (8p) -- KIS; MM 2038 Patches - Flicker 

So lets give more parts. KIS has 7 parts, we give 15, so +8. Ahhh here it ends? Is the reached 0 of test 11 the end!? 

13. 41 Mods: Base + Toolbar + Tweakscale AmpYear (0p) + Orbital Utility Vehicle (4p) + Flexo Docking (3p) + Planetary Domes (8p) -- KAS; MM 2033 Patches - NO Flicker

To be fair i wanna see the fail of setting: KAS disabled. KAS has 9 parts, we give 15 and are +6. That worked... so KIS has a higher tolerance for parts? 

14. 37 Mods: Base + Orbital Utility Vehicle (4p); MM 1095 Patches - Flicker

Back to basics: just some parts, totally less than test 13. What, a fail? Does combination KIS and KAS dislike to handle that few parts?

15. 37 Mods: Base + Flexo Docking (3p); MM 1082 Patches - NO Flicker

One part less and other mod works.

16. 38 Mods: Base + Flexo Docking (3p) + Tweakscale; MM 1373 Patches - Flicker

Miracle again.  Here KIS+KAS + few parts more in total breaks again with Tweakscale.

Perhaps a pro progger has a idea why that happens. First i thought pure part number is the bad thing, then i thought its the amount of mods, then toolbar or Ampyear. For some reason KIS and KAS had a disharmony in my tests and only one of them could handle mods, which both together failed.

More tests based on that branch needed? give me the configuration u need. 

Edited by LeLeon

5 hours ago, Mervy said:

I have noticed that this glitch seems to have something in common with the yellow text that appears twice.

did u try w/o KER? it causes the double-text sometimes - has nothing to do with the flicker, i think

I have the flicker glitch too without Kerbal Engineer, so it's definitely not the culprit. I compared my modlist to others posted here and I think we can safely assume that this has to do with the number of parts in the catalog rather than a specific combination of mods.

I hope Squad will have a look at it. However, they could argue it's not a stock bug since it doesn't happen in the stock game. There's something wrong with the part catalog though..

I'm not certain about total number of parts, but I tried adding and removing part-heavy mods and it seemed with more parts per category it was more likely to flicker.

With about a max of 60 it was pretty stable. With 75 parts in one category it was only flickering a little, but by the time I had a max of 90 parts in one category it was disappearing a lot, and with more it was almost always gone.

It does seem to me that it is part number related, not specific mods as I first noticed it after installing Interstellar, but then removing firespitter (which had lots of parts) instead and leaving interstellar installed, I didn't have any problems.

It would be good if someone could use MM on an otherwise stock install to duplicate parts and confirm if it's a stock issue and whether it relates to a large number of total parts or parts/category.

Actually I'm now seeing Science Archives (in R&D career mode) is having a similar problem - when the list gets long, it starts flickering when scrolling. I don't know if it can be reproduced in stock, but at least the list of science is all stock for now. Given the previous analysis I think along this line it may provide a stock-only repro.

Don't waste your time searching for the bad bad mod. I tested it with stock config part files. Made a vid and linked my test files, perhaps someone can try it under same conditions.

Thread can be found here at non-modded section.

Edited by LeLeon

2 hours ago, TK421 said:

It would be good if someone could use MM on an otherwise stock install to duplicate parts and confirm if it's a stock issue and whether it relates to a large number of total parts or parts/category.

I try it again, after a post i made here is gone.

The problem is not caused by mods or mod plugins. I can reproduce it with a stock setting and additionally cloned 300 stock part configs.

Thread in unmodded section opened by Tr1gg3r is called "The Ui Flicker Bug - In stock".

So don't waste time anymore to track it down within your prefered mods.

Edited by LeLeon

Wow, didn't expect this to be such a popular bug.

RL interfered with my planned testing, but I've been well and truly ninjad anyway so I'll leave it alone. Here's hoping Roverdude can come up with something, since he seems to have taken an interest...

13 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

All this noise and no one has raised a bug report?
There you go:

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/13023

Thanks @LeLeon for spending the time to investigate and find a reliable repro steps. Well done.

34 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

umm the issue was prioritized as low :/ i would say, considering the number of people using tons of mods, it should at least be normal or best to be high in priority lol oh well at least there is some progress on the Done % :wink:

This problem is low priority for a stock game, but is a high priority for modded installs. Upped the priority to high.

I was building a ship, removed a part and flicker occured, all the parts were not displayed on the list and contract/engineer tab bugged along with mod buttons.
Went out of VAB reloaded the database, no more flicker, however some USI parts were missing not the ones in utility tab, the ones in the new tabs. load a vehicle flicker and still no USI icons.

Right, this is driving me nuts.

Funny thing is it's happening to me too but I have only unlocked very basic tech nodes, not sure if it relates to the number actual parts you can pick or the number of parts you will be able to pick (when unlocked)in certain tabs 

(also seems to remove the buttons on the toolbar and make the words in them invisible) 

Edited by Boamere

I may have found a temporary fix!

Hangar Extender (1.2 build here) seems to sometimes fix it. It doesn't work all the time, but if you go back and forth between VAB and no-VAB, or go to KSC and back to the VAB, it'll fix it until you launch or exit.

It also brings up this message in console:

BoxColliders does not support negative scale or size.
The effective box size has been forced positive and is likely to give unexpected collision geometry.
If you absolutely need to use negative scaling you can use the convex MeshCollider. Scene hierarchy path "launchClamp1/model/launchclamp/obj_girdercap/obj_girder/obj_girder_mesh"

I have many non part mods installed and at the moment just KW and interstellar installed. One thing I have noticed is that on first starting the game and loading a save at the space centre I have the the X science icon. In the VAB all the custom catagories are there from filter extensions but filter by function there is no fuel tank catagory and I have the terrible flicker. Now I exit to the main screen and reload the save and the X science icon is gone from the space centre, VAB and flight stock toolbar. In the VAB filter extensions is not working and no flicker.

10 hours ago, sdfghdfgjd said:

I may have found a temporary fix!

Hangar Extender (1.2 build here) seems to sometimes fix it. It doesn't work all the time, but if you go back and forth between VAB and no-VAB, or go to KSC and back to the VAB, it'll fix it until you launch or exit.

It also brings up this message in console:

BoxColliders does not support negative scale or size.
The effective box size has been forced positive and is likely to give unexpected collision geometry.
If you absolutely need to use negative scaling you can use the convex MeshCollider. Scene hierarchy path "launchClamp1/model/launchclamp/obj_girdercap/obj_girder/obj_girder_mesh"

That seems to point to the launch clamps as a possible smoking gun to this issue. Does the console message happen every time you enter the VAB/SPH (presumably because it tries to render a launch clamp in a certain context)?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.