Holographic display's and the future of information viewing.

daniel l.

One of the most fascinating thing's i've ever seen and one of the first examples of a true Sci-Fi style holographic display in the world. We've seen Augmented reality headsets,

Hololens.png

We've seen volumetric displays that function by displaying objects within a transparent cube

doc.gif

We've even seen the use of reflections to imitate holography

HOLHO_2.jpg

But we've never before seen something quite like this

057323913084762a3afa3a03c45f77c5_origina

This is actually real. It is a project by Jaime Ruiz-Avila on Kickstarter. I find this invention to be extremely exciting and i hope it all works out properly.

<Link removed>

If this works out we could all have these in our homes within a decade... Or less.

Edited by Val
Moderated

Looks nice, but all that talk and no explanation how the device "modifies air". Photons of the laser won't just scatter into our eyes. Does this device sprinkle mist in front of the laser? Some kind of powder? I'd like to see more on that.

As a high power laser user, I can see an immediate danger of this prototype as it is - those lasers continue to travel and if you eye gets in the way, it won't be good. Those aren't low power laser pointers.

However, it seems way less dangerous than laser plasma 3D display.

I don't really see the point, beyond the novelty effect. Our brains have been trained used to 2D communication and representation since the invention of writing, and we have been able to convey 3D representations on a 2D surface for quite a while. 

Any display has one purpose: bring the visual info into the user's eye.

Why create huge monstrous devices when the most compact way is clear:  (from Kill Command movie)

Spoiler

e70aa1d5fc6a5cabb3e66fd3416b052c.jpg

Then you need nothing material to display anything you want.
Empty room with stone walls, full of users in yoga poses.

Edited by kerbiloid

I normally lurk on this forum, but I want to log in and add my two cents. I'm a developer for the hololens, it's sitting next to me right now.  

The hololens experience is truly unimaginable.  I read a lot of articles that amount to no more than speculation about the potential of high end holographic reality: a lot of them are superficial critiques of the barriers of entry (which is admittedly high). 

I can only speak for virtual holographic technology (hololens), but what continues to fascinate me is how wild-west it really is.  There is a small community of us that are actively writing rules for this new-world because nobody in history has thought about how a simple menu should be displayed in open space. 

This blog post captures the awe that a lot of are feeling:

https://hololensjournal.com/2016/09/24/defining-the-best-practices-for-hololens-welcome-to-the-wild-wild-west/

5 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

It wasnt for my own profit.

I don't doubt you, but not everyone who has promoted projects like you've done were honest about that, which is why it's not allowed.

Sorry :(

2 minutes ago, Val said:

I don't doubt you, but not everyone who has promoted projects like you've done were honest about that, which is why it's not allowed.

Sorry :(

Ok... Well thanks for telling me :) I'll try to link a new article instead next time.

I smell a scam. Ok I am known for being *particularly* cynical, and hope Im wrong because it looks totally sci-fi, but my BS-sense is tingling like I just liquided on an electric fence.

*edit*

So i took a look at the kickstarter - the key seems to be a big box that "modifies the refractive index" of air within a region of space. Meaning that they can make certain "bits of air" more shiny under the laser light.

Obviously they dont go into much detail into how they do this, but the fine spatial control they have over refraction is amazing! If true, of course.

I dont understand how it works, how does the heat from the laser not cause convection which screws up which bit of air has what refractive index? How can you "touch" the image without "smearing" it? How exactly is invisibly manipulating the refractive index possible over a distance?

For the moment I will switch positions and say "Cool! I hope this works out!" but secretly Im like "Its a scam right? Its gotta be a scam..." simply because 90% of the things that have made me go "Cool!" turned out that way.

*edit 2*

In 1 video at least you can see some evidence of "smearing" when a hand comes near the image, so its looking legit so far!

Some things:

Resolution obviously has a long way to go, and colour would be nice.

Its going to have problems rendering "solid looking" things, basically we aren't going to be watching TV or movies on these.

Rendering dark or secondary colours is going to be problematic. Images containing black area will be weird.

The larger the display, the higher power laser you will need. Safety issues etc.

Its very cool but does it *really* have paradigm shifting advantage over other hologram technologies? I mean, the image still has to be encapsulated on 2 sides by the equipment.

Edited by p1t1o

1 hour ago, lajoswinkler said:

That "display's" is triggering me. Like, for real.

display's - something belonging to the display

displays - more than one display

Your right! Theirs nothing more annoying than improper grammer!

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

I smell a scam. Ok I am known for being *particularly* cynical, and hope Im wrong because it looks totally sci-fi, but my BS-sense is tingling like I just liquided on an electric fence.

Kickstarter + Never before seen technology = Say goodbye to your money.

22 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Kickstarter + Never before seen technology = Say goodbye to your money.

It also doesn't help if somebody is using a word with a very specific meaning to mean something else (like an effect associated with the "old" technology).

Holography is the production of images through use of interference patterns.  If you are familiar with the effect of sending light through slits to get sets of bands, the effect is similar but uses at least as many "slits" as pixels to produce a full image.  While I imagine the technique is now becoming possible (not sure how it is computed, but presumably similar to a FFT) I'm less sure about the actual production.  Such a display has to know the exact position of each eye looking at it, and adjust for each eye (this automatically happens with lasers, due to their single wavelength and coherence).

It is also mostly pointless for direct eye vision (because you will automatically get a 3d effect by having two such displays), and I'm sure the Microsoft system uses LCDs or oLEDs like everybody else.

On 10/17/2016 at 0:10 AM, daniel l. said:

We've even seen the use of reflections to imitate holography

To be honest, for sufficiently small displays, you really *could* make a real holographic display this way.  Transistors are smaller than visible light, so pack them close enough and play games with the individual light arrays.  Difficulty: even in volume a square inch* display will cost over $1000.  So you *could* make a VR headset this way, but the latency would be huge and causing the user to throw up (getting the latency down is a huge problem in VR, with one of these you then have to compute the interference pattern.  Don't count on lunch staying down.

Of course, the final advantage is that things out of focus will remain out of focus (presumably fixable with software and careful measurement of the eye for current systems) in exactly the right way.  So maybe this will be the 22nd century display scheme, but it doesn't make sense now.

* 645 mm**2, probably about twice as large as can be built on a standard process.  I'll try to keep avoiding SAE units as well.

Proper glasses should have proper screen lighting.

Spoiler

FPP5122ICQSXA9W.MEDIUM.jpg

On 21.10.2016 at 10:33 PM, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

What I can't wait for, are when they come out with augmented reality glasses, that have all of the features of a smartphone. 

Then you would sleep in glasses, otherwise how should they wake you up at 03:15 when somebody calls wrong number.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.