The Outer Planets Adventures! [REBOOT PENDING]

KAL 9000

1 hour ago, KAL 9000 said:

Of course! I've been having problems with uploading the screenshots (STUPID COMPUTER I WILL KILL YOU) but expect pictures as soon as I have it worked out! 

Imgr is not my first choice.  I prefer Flickr/

1 hour ago, KAL 9000 said:

Lander it is, maybe I have enough spare fuel to refuel HOPELESS... Sanny the Ghost will be surprised seeing her old lander back.

I left a lot of spare fuel at TOEJAM.  FLAKEE came up from Eeloo the last time with way more than enough LF to refuel CRACKHEAD for the trip home.  Any excess was put into TOEJAM's tanks.  So as she sits, FLAKEE should be capable of landing on Eeloo at STEAMINGPILE, the ISRU base, and getting more, assuming that still works.  Thus anything in TOEJAM's tanks can be put into HOPELESS.

Gergas and Elite have let my crew know about SE-2 and its fate. As a follow up, I rebooted FLAKEE. It still works OK, and with a little maintenance it'll be factory fresh! 

Kenrue and Gablul will be taking FLAKEE down. Kenrue is the Lander Helmsmate and will be the best pilot for the job, and Gablul is the most competent engineer (not that anyone is, of course, but she is relatively the most competent) and will be able to repair STEAMINGPILE.

I think FLAKEE was my favorite ship of the whole show.  She was just a fuel humper, nothing fancy, but she was monstrously big, bigger even than the interplanetary mothership, all brute force and ignorance.  And she had balanced RCS thrust for docking in the configuration of payload tanks full and her own tanks having burned enough fuel to bring the payload to TOEJAM, which took quite a bit of tinkering.

A computerized voice announced in Kenrue's suit speakers, "Airlock depressurized. Outer door opening." 

As FLAKEE's outer airlock door slid into the walls, Kenrue jumped out, landing on her feet. If there had been an atmosphere on Eeloo, she would have heard a *crunch* as the snow and ice moved a little to account for the new weight of her and her suit. 

Only Orbles, Truiki, and that Krakenist dude have been here, on this world, before me and Gablul, she thought, amazed that she was one of the first Kerbals to ever walk on Eeloo's frozen surface. Sarnus loomed in the sky, much larger than a full Mün on Kerbin. On the other side of the sky, Slate and Tekto were close to each other at this point in the grand, and beautiful, celestial ballet of the universe. Peering up and looking at one spot of the sky, she could see Kerbol as a small disk. And -there! Right where it should be, a pale blue dot hanging there in the sky. 

---

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every Kerbal who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, every BadS and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every emperor and boffin, every hopeful sprout, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

Kerbin is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

Kerbin is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment, Kerbin is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of Kerbal conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known. 

Edited by KAL 9000

8 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

As FLAKEE's outer airlock door slid into the walls, Kenrue jumped out, landing on her feet. If there had been an atmosphere on Eeloo, she would have heard a *crunch* as the snow and ice moved a little to account for the new weight of her and her suit. 

Only Orbles, Truiki, and that Krakenist dude have been here, on this world, before me and Gablul, she thought, amazed that she was one of the first Kerbals to ever walk on Eeloo's frozen surface. Sarnus loomed in the sky, much larger than a full Mün on Kerbin. On the other side of the sky, Slate and Tekto were close to each other at this point in the grand, and beautiful, celestial ballet of the universe. Peering up and looking at one spot of the sky, she could see Kerbol as a small disk. And -there! Right where it should be, a pale blue dot hanging there in the sky. 

<sniff> Good to hear FLAKEE is still doing good work.  But your description of the view from Eeloo, while quite able to summon mental images, demands a visual accompaniment :)

INTERLUDE: ERROR

--Low Dres Orbit-- 

The Max_creative, although damaged, was still functional. It was now able to return to LKO, thanks to Bill's repairs. The three nuclear engines flared up, sending the ship onto a Kerbin transfer trajectory. 

The engines died down. The burn was complete. 

Observing this was a Kerbal. Not a Kerbal from this universe, no. A Kerbal whose soul had been flung between SAVEs when he had died in his own universe. 

This Kerbal had, metaphysically, stared the Kraken in the eye. And punched it in the face. But the effort had killed him. Another Kerbal, not part of this particular tale, had finished the job and banished the Kraken from that SAVE. 

The Kraken had been banished. But it fled to this SAVE, and was preparing to continue its reign of terror. It had created the unusual monolith on Dres. Its essence had hitchhiked on the Max_creative. It would come to Kerbin. And it would destroy everything. 

Billy needed to warn them. He tried to communicate with them.

Jeb. Bill. Bob. Val. Can you feel it? 

It's coming. It will kill you. 

Hurry. Before it's too late. 

Reality itself will come apart at the seams. 

KSP-64x.exe has suffered a fatal error. Reload application? (Y/N) 

Rebooting... 

Reality itself will come apart at the seams. 

The universe will crash. 

There is a device on Plock. It will eradicate the Kraken. 

Find it. Use it. For all our sakes.

Edited by KAL 9000

This is the last picture-less part of the story! 

The TRASHCAN docked with the waiting Sarnus Explorer under remote-control. Adam moved into the TRASHCAN and it reentered Tekto's atmosphere, landing next to BATHMAT. 

Adam climbed out the airlock, and could see Gergas doing the same on BATHMAT. 

Adam's suit had, on the backpack, the KSP flag carefully hand-stitched on it by Gus, who handled that sort of thing. There was his Captin ribbon on the right shoulder, and his suit, with the new suit design, had Pilot/Command Yellow suit light stripes, instead of the old red. 

Gergas' suit backpack had a machine-stitched (in the name of efficiency) Traveling Circus flag, his Honorary Boffin Award ribbon was on the right shoulder, and the suit had standard red stripes. 

The two Kerbals, from different universes, approached each other and tentatively shook one of the other's two gloved hands. 

Gergas, after this, said "Wanna come inside and watch some reality TV? We have all the best channels." 

"Sure, why not?" replied Adam, as the Kerbals from this universe never had or invented reality TV. 

Shortly afterward: 

"What- abomination is this?"

"You want a different reality show? OK!" 

"No, I- Aaaaaah! I'm sorry, I really don't like these shows! Don't you have actual things like KerbTube or movies or space documentaries?"

Edited by KAL 9000

Poor Adam, being subjected to Circus-approved reality TV :)  Be sure to steal the antenna off BATHMAT.  If it still gets reception from another universe, it will certainly fetch a high price in post-1.2 universes :)

Also, a point of clarification.  The TOPER was an atmospheric airplane incapable of going to space.  I left one on the ground at BATHMAT and a spare in orbit still attached to its carrier vehicle from SE-1.  The Tekto SSTO was the TRASHCAN, both of which were in orbit.  The spare was still attached to its carrier vehicle and the one they actually used was drifting free, having been used by Midi to leave Tekto and rendezvous with COPROPLITE.  This one is still full of all the science Midi "forgot" about in her haste to escape the zombies.

4 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Poor Adam, being subjected to Circus-approved reality TV :)  Be sure to steal the antenna off BATHMAT.  If it still gets reception from another universe, it will certainly fetch a high price in post-1.2 universes :)

Also, a point of clarification.  The TOPER was an atmospheric airplane incapable of going to space.  I left one on the ground at BATHMAT and a spare in orbit still attached to its carrier vehicle from SE-1.  The Tekto SSTO was the TRASHCAN, both of which were in orbit.  The spare was still attached to its carrier vehicle and the one they actually used was drifting free, having been used by Midi to leave Tekto and rendezvous with COPROPLITE.  This one is still full of all the science Midi "forgot" about in her haste to escape the zombies.

Oh, yeah, I get the names mixed up. You'd think I'd remember the ship's actual name tag in Map View being TRASHCAN! Absent-minded professor issues. Fixed the mistake! Hey, the SCIENCE is still on it! 

Transmitting to KSC... Ca-Ching! It's actually Sandbox mode in my save, but hey, let's say I finished the tech tree and got an unlimited budget :wink:. Mort is happy because Patent Licensing is supposedly on 100%. 

What do you mean we actually covered the cost of the mission with this science, Mort? THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! I HAVE AN UNLIMITED BUDGET, AND I WANT TO WASTE SOME ROOTS! 

The antenna is currently going on 5,000,000,000 roots on the black market (Mort's idea to make a quick buck, not mine). The crew are now required to KAS it into a ship's cargo bay and take it back to Kerbin. I doubt Gergas and Elite will be happy about this, and I don't want my crew to get infected with the zombie virus, so maybe I'll rescind that order. 

For those wondering, Adam is actually a randomly generated Kerbal. Apparently you sometimes get sensible names... 

It's an open question whether to reuse Circus hardware ('cause TOENAIL base isn't operational and hasn't built any landers yet). It's easy and cheap, but the hardware (unsurprisingly) is not up to safety standards. 

Edited by KAL 9000

22 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

It's an open question whether to reuse Circus hardware ('cause TOENAIL base isn't operational and hasn't built any landers yet). It's easy and cheap, but the hardware (unsurprisingly) is not up to safety standards. 

Well, it's nice to have them for back-ups and hangar queens you can rob for spare parts.  As to safety, the Circus builds everything to the level of acceptable casualties.  You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, you know, so some casualties are expected in the great work of building the Glorious Empire.  But even expandable conscripts have necessary roles in the mission so have be protected at least until their menial jobs are completed :wink:

The first images that I will upload will be photos of the construction of the Sarnus Explorer in Kerbin orbit a while ago. I thought it would be a nice start. There will also be pictures of Jeb testing a TOILET Tekto SSTO in a HyperEdit simulation.

Instead of the construction, I'll rewind even further to the first probe mission to Sarnus. I will upload the pictures later today. My favorite part of that mission was screaming through the upper Sarnusian atmosphere at ~6,000 m/s to aerobrake, while the nuclear reactor is in the process of overheating.

2 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

Instead of the construction, I'll rewind even further to the first probe mission to Sarnus. I will upload the pictures later today. My favorite part of that mission was screaming through the upper Sarnusian atmosphere at ~6,000 m/s to aerobrake, while the nuclear reactor is in the process of overheating.

Can't wait to see, that sounds like one helluva airbrake!

Just now, DMSP said:

Can't wait to see, that sounds like one helluva airbrake!

The first probe mission carried 6 SCANSats and 2 ComSats on a transport bus. 

Official Log: Aerobraking: 

SCANSAT 03: DO YOU FEEL A LITTLE WARM? 

SCANSAT 02: MY ANTENNA! IT BURNS!

Billy-Bobrim, besides being a Sciencemate, is the ship's medic. This is a transcript of his and Halfrunt's conversation during his Münthly exam when the Sarnus Explorer was flying between Eeloo and Tekto. 

Billy-Bobrim: Halfrunt, please wait for just a second. I'm spinning up the medbay's centrifuge to give us 1G gravity on here. 

Halfrunt: Sure. 

*Sounds of a motor activating* 

Billy-Bobrim: Okay. Step onto the scale, please. 

*Halfrunt steps onto the scale* 

Billy-Bobrim: You've lost 10 kilograms since last Münth! Have you been eating less? You do look very skinny, now that I notice it.

Halfrunt: No, I've been eating the same. 

Billy-Bobrim: Maybe you've come down with something? I'll run some tests later. 

Halfrunt: What next? 

Billy-Bobrim: Let's test your strength. Can you please grip the hand cords?

Halfrunt: Got them. 

Billy-Bobrim: I'm going to increase the tension. Just keep gripping them as hard as you can until you can't take it anymore. 

Halfrunt: Okay. 

Halfrunt: OW! 

*Halfrunt lets go* 

Billy-Bobrim: Your strength is half what it was. You still exercising? 

Halfrunt: As much as usual. 

Billy-Bobrim: You must be sick. Can I take a blood sample? 

Halfrunt: I don't see why not. 

Billy-Bobrim: Hang on, you'll feel a little prick in 3... 2... 1... 

Halfrunt: Ouch! Okay, it stopped hurting. 

Billy-Bobrim: Cone back in an hour, I'll have analyzed the sample then. 

*An hour later* 

Halfrunt: Well? 

Billy-Bobrim: I've checked the samples five times. I don't think it can be anything else, but... It's terrifying! 

Halfrunt: Wh-what? 

Billy-Bobrim: Halfrunt, I'm so sorry. 

Billy-Bobrim: You've contracted XKCD. 

Halfrunt: WHAT???