1.2 Renderer

Hi, is 1.2 using openGL or d3d9/11 by default? (Windows 7) I have a system that most would consider minimal, but KSP runs/looks fine, until I add Scatterer. My AMD Radeon HD 5570 has had driver issues displaying openGL in the past (fault of the drivers, I'm pretty sure), but KSP looks great & runs acceptably well, just slows down when I add Scatterer. I'm trying to decide whether to force dx11, or whatever (to maximize performance & aesthetics).

Not way too much visual difference, but forcing DX11 with "-force-d3d11" helped on my PC with memory usage. more of textures are stored in GPU RAM instead of main RAM that free some memory for main game and also GPU have slightly quicker access to textures compared to regular RAM storage. It helps a bit with performance.

Default for KSP without any switches is DX9, if something is not radicaly changed recently.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone got any solid answers on this?    I havent played since 1.0.4  and used open gl with active texture management.    Im trying a new mod build with 88 mods which is less than my 150 mod build I used in 1.0.4.     is there new settings or changes I need to be aware of that could effect my performance because currently I've got a slide show on physics load followed by a crash which shouldnt happen in 64 bit.   it cant be a hardware issue for me because I'm pretty sure my system specs can more than handle this Game.

I7 Processor

Msi Nvidia 8gig 960 Gtx 

16 gigs of ram

6TB hard drive.

6 hours ago, NemesisBosseret said:

Does anyone got any solid answers on this?    I havent played since 1.0.4  and used open gl with active texture management.    Im trying a new mod build with 88 mods which is less than my 150 mod build I used in 1.0.4.     is there new settings or changes I need to be aware of that could effect my performance because currently I've got a slide show on physics load followed by a crash which shouldnt happen in 64 bit.   it cant be a hardware issue for me because I'm pretty sure my system specs can more than handle this Game.

I7 Processor

Msi Nvidia 8gig 960 Gtx 

16 gigs of ram

6TB hard drive.

Are all the mods you are using updated to the KSP version you are using?

If not or you are unsure then take a look at your KSP.log (found in the KSP directory) in a text editor and use the find tool to look for 'exception' and 'null' ... look through them all and they will tell you what mods are causing conflicts with KSP

This is a good place to start IMO

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gckzn3scbe8fsla/output_log.txt?dl=0

look urself lol

Unity Player [version: Unity 5.4.0p4_b15b5ae035b7]

KSP_x64.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module KSP_x64.exe at 0033:566b4059.

Error occurred at 2016-11-15_003410.
K:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe, run by Nemesis.
93% memory in use.
16376 MB physical memory [1044 MB free].
65528 MB paging file [1 MB free].
134217728 MB user address space [134153742 MB free].
Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.