[Request] Kerbal type specified in rescue contracts

MartGonzo

Hi folks, I'm looking for a mod that add the type of Kerbal to the page for rescue contracts, I tried a few search terms but couldn't find whether there already is anything like this.

If anyone knows of a mod that does that (preferrably a small mod that doesn't make any other major changes) or is capable of creating one I'd be very grateful.

No Kerbal Left Behind!

...except engineers. They can rot in orbit.

As to the request... I don't think the Kerbals are actually generated until you get in physics range. I assume they follow the same rules that other Kerbals do to assign profession to name (until it's manually changed in the cheat menu or by editing the save file) so if someone knows that formula, it could in theory be done.

I personally would just edit the Kerbal in question to be whatever profession you want them to be.

I don't know if this will help, but for rescue missions, if you go into the astronaut center and look at the kerbals who are assigned, you'll also see those kerbals who need rescuing if you've accepted the mission. It seems the kerbals aren't generated until after you've accepted the contract, but once generated, you can see them in the astronaut complex and if you then decide that rescuing yet another engineer isn't worth the bother, you can then drop the contract. 

18 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

No Kerbal Left Behind!

As to the request... I don't think the Kerbals are actually generated until you get in physics range. I assume they follow the same rules that other Kerbals do to assign profession to name (until it's manually changed in the cheat menu or by editing the save file) so if someone knows that formula, it could in theory be done.

I personally would just edit the Kerbal in question to be whatever profession you want them to be.

Ah that's a shame, I like to have a nice balance and I'm far too penny-pinching to spend money on them.

There free ones floating about after all!

15 minutes ago, Benji13 said:

I think that contracts should display the profession and the gender of contracts. That's why I made a request for it in the bug tracker during the pre release but it was shot down by the devs. 

It does specify the gender if you read carefully, where it says return the kerbal to Kerbin it will either say him or her.

14 minutes ago, John Cochran said:

I don't know if this will help, but for rescue missions, if you go into the astronaut center and look at the kerbals who are assigned, you'll also see those kerbals who need rescuing if you've accepted the mission. It seems the kerbals aren't generated until after you've accepted the contract, but once generated, you can see them in the astronaut complex and if you then decide that rescuing yet another engineer isn't worth the bother, you can then drop the contract. 

That's handy to know, I can save before accepting the contract and then decide whether to rescue or go back to the save instead of having to rendezvous and then find out.

Thanks for the replies fellow Kerbalnauts.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:47 PM, 5thHorseman said:

No Kerbal Left Behind!

If you go to the "assigned" tab of the astronaut complex, you will find the names and professions of all stranded Kerbals as a part of rescue contracts. As an additional bit of information. it appears to me that the Kerbal role is determined by what ever you have the least of at the time of contract acceptance (e.g.  If you have 3 Pilots, 3 Engineers, and 2 Scientists, it will generate a Scientist). Hope this helps!

It would also be nice if the contract screen showed the orbital parameters so you can decide whether or not to take it.  I've had a few times where I see a contract for rescuing from orbit of Kerbin, accept thinking it'll just be the usual equatorial orbit, and then find out it's actually some highly incline orbit 3/4 of the way out to Minmus...or worse yet, something close enough the the Mun's orbit that they get ejected into solar orbit before I can get there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.