I'm looking for a duna lander

Kalzzz

Erm... any lander with some parachutes, sufficient TWR and, say, 3 km/s dV to be safe (although you could probably get away with 2) should work. Duna's atmosphere is thick enough for parachutes to be effective but not so thick that the aerodynamics of your lander should matter at all. They're honestly not that hard to build.

Just remember you can use the debug menu to teleport your lander to Duna orbit and test it that way.

43 minutes ago, Kalzzz said:

I'm trying to get to duna and I need a lander with pics about the construction of these duna rockets :P

I'm not going to provide you with a fully functioning Duna spacecraft or even instructions to make one, as such an act would teach you nothing but how to use somebody else's vehicle - which is not helpful unless you already know how to execute this sort of mission yourself. What I will provide is a quick and general guide that should allow you to figure out how to assemble your own:

1. You first should consider how much you already know about travelling between planets, and particularly about travelling to Duna and back. Do you know about transfer windows? Do you have a reasonably good idea of the delta-v requirements? If the answer to both of those is yes, proceed to step 3. If the answer to either of those is no, go to step 2.
  2. This map provides delta-v information, and this equation tells you how to calculate your delta-v, in case you don't have a mod installed that does that for you. As for transfer windows, this useful device can show you the approximate planetary configuration required for an efficient Hohmann transfer, and this mod can help you figure out what time that transfer window is. I would also suggest looking through forum posts or asking any specific questions you have in the Gameplay Questions and Tutorials subforum. Once you understand all of this stuff, proceed to step 3.
  3. Decide on the purpose of your mission. Is it merely for planting a flag and adding to a personal exploration quota, or will it also be a science gathering mission? Once you know your objectives, proceed to step 4.
  4. You need to figure out what sort of mission profile your Duna mission will use. Are you able to reliably rendezvous and dock spacecraft in orbit? If so, proceed to step 5. If not, go to step 8.
  5. Do you care about reusable technology for your Duna mission? If so, go to step 7. If not, go to step 6.
  6. With the ability to dock and without needing reusability for the mission, you can use what is probably the easiest mission profile to design a spacecraft for in terms of engineering - an expendable-spacecraft Duna Orbit Rendezvous profile. Proceed to step 9.
  7. The ability to dock means that you can make a reusable mothership and also a reusable lander, and use a mission profile that relies on orbital rendezvous in both Duna and Kerbin orbit. Proceed to step 9.
  8. If you can't reliably rendezvous and dock, you only have one option available: a single-launch Direct Ascent profile. Proceed to step 16.
  9. Design your Duna lander. It should be transported to Duna orbit without any of its own fuel being consumed. It should carry any equipment necessary for your mission objective (see step 3). It needs 2200m/s of delta-v if you are using parachutes as well as the engines to land, and 2700m/s if you are landing without the use of parachutes (these values are above the minimum, but are likely to be safe values for a beginner to aim for). You should use high-Isp vacuum-optimized engines if you can, as Duna's atmosphere is mostly negligible. If you are not planning on reusing the lander, you might make it as a two stage design. Otherwise use a single stage. Don't worry too much about aerodynamics or a heat shield, those are rarely things that you need to consider for Duna.
    If you are using expendable spacecraft, proceed to step 10. If you are using reusable spacecraft, proceed to step 12.
  10. Design your return vehicle. This should have a decouplable capsule with a parachute and heat shield to return all of your kerbals to Kerbin. It should also have about 700m/s of delta-v in order to conduct the interplanetary transfer burn to go back to Kerbin. Proceed to step 11.
  11. Design your transfer stage. This should be capable of placing both your return vehicle and your Duna lander in a low circular equatorial orbit of Duna (60km is a good orbit to aim for). For this, it needs about 1000m/s to leave Kerbin, and a subsequent 700m/s to circularize at Duna. Proceed to step 15.
  12. Design your mothership. It will carry your crew, so give them enough space on board. It needs to have enough delta-v to escape Kerbin and circularize in Duna orbit whilst docked to your Duna lander, and then to subsequently return to Kerbin orbit from Duna orbit without the Duna lander. It also needs to be able to carry some extra fuel to refuel the Duna lander, so include spare fuel tanks equivalent to the storage of the Duna lander. For best results, assemble the entire mothership in the VAB with the Duna lander attached to it (use the Merge button to get them both in the same construction window), lock the spare fuel tanks on the mothership and also the fuel tanks on the lander, and ensure that the mothership has at least 3500m/s in its fully loaded configuration. Such motherships tend to be rather large, and constructing them is often easiest by splitting them into several separately-launched modules. Proceed to step 13.
  13. Your mothership will need refuelling between missions. Design a vehicle that can transport fuel to the mothership. Ideally it should be able to be recovered on Kerbin after refuelling the mothership. You may need several launches of this fuel tanker, depending on how large it is and how large your mothership is. Proceed to step 14.
  14. Design a vehicle to take kerbals into orbit and transfer them to your mothership. It is probable that you already have vehicles that are capable of doing this rather trivial task. Proceed to step 15.
  15. Design and test your launch vehicles. Every payload you have created so far needs a reliable way to reach Kerbin orbit. Once you have this, you can assemble your various payloads and conduct your mission. For a non-reusable mission, it is usually easiest to attach your Duna lander directly beneath your return vehicle with a stack separator, attach your transfer stage directly beneath the lander, and launch the whole thing on one single rocket. This becomes considerably more challenging to do if you are using a reusable mothership, which is a technique that lends itself to the concept of assembling the vehicle in low Kerbin orbit before sending it to Duna.
  16. You have reached this step if you cannot dock spacecraft in orbit. This means that you need to launch everything on a single rocket, land your entire capsule on Duna, and then return to Kerbin directly from Duna's surface. I will outline the specific steps you should take. Follow the remaining steps in direct numerical order.
  17. Design your Kerbin return stage. This will transfer back to Kerbin from Duna orbit, and should have a capsule with a heat shield and parachute to land the crew back on Kerbin. It needs about 700m/s to do so. This is also where your solar panels should be attached.
  18. Design your Duna landing stage. 2700m/s should be good for this stage. You also need landing legs and ladders, and any science equipment you plan on using. You might split this into two separate stages if a single stage for this purpose is too challenging for you to create.
  19. Design your transfer stage. It should have about 1700m/s in total to reliably reach Duna and circularize in low Duna orbit (60km equatorial orbit is good to aim for).
  20. Finally, design your launch vehicle. This should be able to send the rest of the vehicle into low Kerbin orbit. You can then launch the mission.

On 12/24/2016 at 0:13 PM, Kalzzz said:

I'm trying to get to duna and I need a lander with pics about the construction of these duna rockets :P

Lander only: I love Raptor9's design, and this is one of his simplest one: https://kerbalx.com/Raptor9/LV-4A-Armadillo-Thunder-4-Heavy. Some assembly required, require his EV-3 as a full package.

On 12/24/2016 at 1:38 PM, eloquentJane said:

I'm not going to provide you with a fully functioning Duna spacecraft or even instructions to make one, as such an act would teach you nothing but how to use somebody else's vehicle - which is not helpful unless you already know how to execute this sort of mission yourself. What I will provide is a quick and general guide that should allow you to figure out how to assemble your own

And this kind of Windows Mentality is why people like Apple more -- they just tell you how if it's doable.

1 hour ago, Jestersage said:

And this kind of Windows Mentality is why people like Apple more -- they just tell you how if it's doable.

This is Kerbal Space Program, a game about designing and flying rockets. If someone else builds a spacecraft for you and something goes wrong, you have no idea what the problem is. If you build your own spacecraft you know all of the engineering decisions that were made during its assembly, and you can easily troubleshoot the problem.

Using a pre-built spacecraft is fine when you know what you're doing, but for a beginner who hasn't done a particular type of mission (like a Duna return mission), it's always more helpful in the long-term for them to build their own spacecraft first, learn what can go wrong on such a mission, and augment their own design to compensate. That's much more difficult to do if you're flying someone else's spacecraft, since you don't necessarily know how it was assembled.

You've recommended one of Raptor9's spacecraft, which has a fairly good set of instructions, but it's optimized for players who know what they're doing. I don't know quite how much room for error that Duna lander has, but it doesn't look like enough to compensate for, for example, a horribly inefficient Duna ascent by a player who perhaps doesn't know how to conduct a successful gravity turn. It also has a very high part count, which might make it unusable for some players (I certainly wouldn't be able to regularly use a spacecraft that has 333 parts on launch).

Edited by eloquentJane

I'm afraid @eloquentJane brings up a good point.  Without knowing the experience level of the OP (or computer specs), certain pre-built craft may not be usable.

@Kalzzz, if you're just into flying and not building, I recommend perusing KerbalX and searching for certain keywords and the filters to narrow down what you need.  I personally learn a lot of what to do and what not to do by building my own craft and experimenting with their uses.

Whether you download someone else's or build your own, good luck and have fun getting to the Duna surface.  Just make sure you don't leave any Kerbals on the surface when you leave. :)

Minmus/Duna/Dres/Laythe lander:

But if you're building your own, a few tips:

1) Duna has an atmosphere. Use it. Wings and/or parachutes.

2) The atmosphere is thin; you need more chutes than Kerbin, or you need to combine chutes and thrust. You may also need to tweak the chute-opening altitudes.

3) The ground is bumpy. Stability matters; use a wide footprint for landers and a wide wheelbase for spaceplanes.

4) Getting to Duna is about the same ΔV as getting to the Mun. You can aerobrake into a capture, but it's tricky; the atmosphere is very thin.

Edited by Wanderfound

C00FTDmUAAAUMJ6.jpg:large

Here's a Duna lander I used in 1.0.5.

Comments:

• The idea is to land with little or no rocket power, and use rockets for ascent. The airbrakes deploy first, then the drogues, then the main chutes.
  • The entire scientific array is accessible by ladder, making it easy to retrieve and reset science experiments.
  • Small, one-shot rovers were dropped beneath the fuel tanks (not pictured).

Critique:

• In 1.2.2, you'll want an antennae and possibly a control module. This craft was landed by a drone module, just above the Science Jr.
  • The fuel lines could be removed in 1.2.2.
  • The RCS could be more thoughtfully designed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.