[1.9-1.10] Global Construction

allista

Hi,

So, I have a weird problem.  In a very long running save, just 'upgraded' from KSP 1.7, and now using KSP 1.8 / GC 2.5.0.1 as it comes from CKAN with the USI stuff - I have a space station with an orbital workshop on it.  And when I dock a dockable DIY kit to it (built successfully by the same station in the assembly line)... nothing appears in the Workshop Window.  Just the 'Recycler' and 'Close' buttons, and the Workforce label.  I do have three five-star engineers in there, and the kit is, as far as I can tell, docked by the construction port (albeit a few parts away from the workshop).

In a sandbox test game with the same set of mods, a test ship launched with an orbital workshop -> docking port -> Dockable DIY kit all bolted together in the VAB works correctly.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?...

10 hours ago, ChrisF0001 said:

Hi,

So, I have a weird problem.  In a very long running save, just 'upgraded' from KSP 1.7, and now using KSP 1.8 / GC 2.5.0.1 as it comes from CKAN with the USI stuff - I have a space station with an orbital workshop on it.  And when I dock a dockable DIY kit to it (built successfully by the same station in the assembly line)... nothing appears in the Workshop Window.  Just the 'Recycler' and 'Close' buttons, and the Workforce label.  I do have three five-star engineers in there, and the kit is, as far as I can tell, docked by the construction port (albeit a few parts away from the workshop).

In a sandbox test game with the same set of mods, a test ship launched with an orbital workshop -> docking port -> Dockable DIY kit all bolted together in the VAB works correctly.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?...

There's nothing obviously wrong in what you describe. It shouldn't matter how far (in terms of intermediate parts) it is docked, as it is searched for recursively through entire vessel.

Things to double check: construction port should be marked on the container with arrows. Available workforce should be displayed at the top of the workshop window of the construction workshop; although even if there's 0, containers should still be visible in the list.

I'll try to reproduce this...

11 hours ago, ChrisF0001 said:

using KSP 1.8 / GC 2.5.0.1 as it comes from CKAN with the USI stuff - I have a space station with an orbital workshop on it.  And when I dock a dockable DIY kit to it (built successfully by the same station in the assembly line)... nothing appears in the Workshop Window. 

I confirm this. Thanks for your report.

Here's the issue to track:

https://github.com/allista/groundconstruction/issues/67

Version 2.5.1 for Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1

Released on 2019-11-30

Better Recycling

• Recycler UI:
    • Part tree may be filtered by part name
      • Search term is case insensitive and will match any part whose title contains it.
      • Filtering is started in 0.5s after you stopped typing.
      • Filtering is not instant: when the search term is yellow (configurable color) the search is in progress; when it becomes green (configurable color) the search is complete and the filtered part tree is displayed.
      • Parts that do not match the term are not shown in the part tree unless they are ancestors to those that match.
      • Matched parts that has children remain togglable, so that you can access their subtree. Other parts of the filtered tree are not togglable.
      • Recycling in the filtered tree works exactly the same.
    • A part is highlighted when mouse hovers over corresponding part tree node
  • Added spotlights to the Space Crane
  • Added AutoSave option to the Main GC Window (as suggested by @jd284)
  • Fixed detection of the Orbital Container by workshops (thanks @ChrisF0001 for the report)

Download 

Hi allista

make some updates via ckan and can no longuer launch the game.

It load all the mod but i have this message in  the loading screen.

ModuleManager:3420 patches loades from cache

Mod(s) DLL that are not compatible with this version of KSP

GC.UI 1.0.0.0 GameData\GroundConstruction\Plugins\GC.UI.dll

23 hours ago, LTQ90 said:

Hi allista

Exact same here.

Edit: the problem solved itself... see my answer.

Edited by bokrif

1 hour ago, LTQ90 said:

Hi allista

You are trying to run a mod made for KSP 1.7.3 on KSP 1.8.1.  That message is from either ModuleManager or MADLAD, and is a warning to you that the listed DLLs will most likely not work properly.  Use the right version, the latest version is 2.5.1

Edited by linuxgurugamer

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You are trying to run a mod made for KSP 1.7.3 on KSP 1.8.1.  That message is from either ModuleManager or MADLAD, and is a warning to you that the listed DLLs will most likely not work properly.  Use the right version, the latest version is 2.5.1

Hi LGG i was just updating the 2.5.1 version, before, all was ok.

I m playing ksp 1.8.1

Edited by LTQ90

@linuxgurugamer, @ChrisF0001, @LTQ90, @bokrif

I'm currently unable to download anything from CKAN due to SSL error that wasn't there yesterday.

I suggest to reinstall everything manually from SpaceDock, which is the only source of truth for my mods.

@ChrisF0001 if it wouldn't work after reinstall from SD, we need to debug this further, as I've checked everything pretty thoroughly before updating.

CKAN SSL problem solved itself out, so I was able to install everything from CKAN and, after that, separately from SpaceDock. In both cases everything works fine now.

Including container detection after undocking/redocking to the station via a distant docking port that is 4 parts away from the construction workshop.

Hello, i have KSP 1.7.1 and GC 2.4.1. i have issues with orbital workshop, it doesn't have the ability to construct anything. Is it because it lack the Ground Workshop module, as compared to Inline/Mobile workshops?

https://imgur.com/a/aMI8CqB 

I downloaded the mod from Github since SpaceDock has the latest one, while i needed the one for 1.7.1.

Edit: i checked the config file for orbital workshop from several sources and versions, all lack the GroundConstruction module. Is there a instruction on how to use orbital workshop for orbital construction? The mobile part is not looking good on an orbital station and the inline part is inefficient for .

Edit 2: i tried to copy the GC module from Mobile part to Orbital part. Partially succesful,  now it shows the module in game and the ability to construct, but whenever i try to build something, i get the message that the workshop is not crewed, when in fact it has 6 engineers that i can transfer/EVA as usual.

Can you check this please? Maybe i am missing something.

Thank you!

Edited by diasmon2

22 hours ago, bokrif said:

Exact same here.

Edit: the problem solved itself... see my answer.

Okay, it solved itself. I reinstalled the previous version through CKAN, than played, now I updated to the latest and it loads up.

16 hours ago, diasmon2 said:

Hello, i have KSP 1.7.1 and GC 2.4.1. i have issues with orbital workshop, it doesn't have the ability to construct anything. Is it because it lack the Ground Workshop module, as compared to Inline/Mobile workshops?

https://imgur.com/a/aMI8CqB 

I downloaded the mod from Github since SpaceDock has the latest one, while i needed the one for 1.7.1.

Edit: i checked the config file for orbital workshop from several sources and versions, all lack the GroundConstruction module. Is there a instruction on how to use orbital workshop for orbital construction? The mobile part is not looking good on an orbital station and the inline part is inefficient for .

Edit 2: i tried to copy the GC module from Mobile part to Orbital part. Partially succesful,  now it shows the module in game and the ability to construct, but whenever i try to build something, i get the message that the workshop is not crewed, when in fact it has 6 engineers that i can transfer/EVA as usual.

Can you check this please? Maybe i am missing something.

Thank you!

SpaceDock has all the versions from the beginning: check the "Changelog" tab on the mod's page.

What you describe is most likely the installation went wrong. Reinstall from SpaceDock and see if it fixes the issue.

On 12/1/2019 at 2:36 PM, allista said:

CKAN SSL problem solved itself out, so I was able to install everything from CKAN and, after that, separately from SpaceDock. In both cases everything works fine now.

Including container detection after undocking/redocking to the station via a distant docking port that is 4 parts away from the construction workshop.

I have downloaded from Spacedock with the same (lack of) results... Though the port is admittedly further away (seven parts at least I think).  When I have a moment I can try a few more tests!

3 minutes ago, ChrisF0001 said:

I have downloaded from Spacedock with the same (lack of) results... Though the port is admittedly further away (seven parts at least I think).  When I have a moment I can try a few more tests!

The legitimate reasons for not being present in construction kit list are:

* Docked via the wrong port

* Assembly of the kit was not complete

I reckon it's time to look at the save + mod list...

On 12/2/2019 at 3:46 PM, allista said:

SpaceDock has all the versions from the beginning: check the "Changelog" tab on the mod's page.

What you describe is most likely the installation went wrong. Reinstall from SpaceDock and see if it fixes the issue.

I am an idiot. It never occurred to me that the Orbital part works only in orbit. I tend to test everything on the ground before any launch. Also i learned something new,  i did not know that through changelog you can download previous versions of a mod. Thank you for your quick help!

On 12/2/2019 at 6:58 PM, allista said:

The legitimate reasons for not being present in construction kit list are:

* Docked via the wrong port

* Assembly of the kit was not complete

I reckon it's time to look at the save + mod list...

Well the mod list is... extensive. ^_^;  This is a save that's been ongoing since 2016, so it's seen a few mod versions as well.  It is tempting to think that a compatibility issue could be at fault, though I'm not sure what.

Does the code now walk the part tree from the workshop to the containers?  I'm wondering what other factors might be affecting it.  The kit is actually the tenth part away from the workshop, but it is docked at the construction port and I believe it to be complete.

When I have a bit more time I'll try some more tests - undock / redock with the new version in place, start with an empty container and see if the assembly line can see it, try using ground containers not dockable ones (because they used to be buildable at the assembly line stage when docked), try docking it to a simpler workshop setup, try some test ships at KSC to just wheel containers around and see if they connect, maybe launch some simple kits and see if *they* work...  I may be a little while! ^_^;

1 hour ago, ChrisF0001 said:

It is tempting to think that a compatibility issue

I honestly doubt it.

Does the code now walk the part tree from the workshop to the containers?

It is actually vice versa: the container looks through its construction port and walks through AttachNodes and ModuleDockingPorts recursively until it finds both assembly and construction workshops (or until the tree ends). Then it sets its status as assembly/construction ready. I don't remember now why it's done in the "wrong" direction; because only the container knows through which port it is docked, probably.

try using ground containers not dockable ones (because they used to be buildable at the assembly line stage when docked)

That is unintended!!! :blush:

I may be a little while! ^_^;

Meanwhile, could you, please, share the save and the .ckan mod list (if you're CKAN user, otherwise just listing of the GameData). I'll try to replicate it.

11 hours ago, allista said:

It is actually vice versa: the container looks through its construction port and walks through AttachNodes and ModuleDockingPorts recursively until it finds both assembly and construction workshops (or until the tree ends). Then it sets its status as assembly/construction ready. I don't remember now why it's done in the "wrong" direction; because only the container knows through which port it is docked, probably.

Interesting... I wonder if there are other things that could break it.  Docking ports often seem to behave a bit oddly, particularly right after a version upgrade (since at least 1.6 I've found docked ships 'welded' together after loading a new version...).

That is unintended!!! :blush:

But really useful!!  (Also since the orbital assembly line can make ground containers, I thought for sure it was deliberate!)

(...If you're trying to make, say, a base part to be built somewhere where there is no assembly line, only a workshop, it's much easier to build it entirely in orbit rather than trying to land a skycrane on top of a container by hand!)

Meanwhile, could you, please, share the save and the .ckan mod list (if you're CKAN user, otherwise just listing of the GameData). I'll try to replicate it.

Hopefully this is such a link (first time I've tried sharing links out of DropBox...).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/058u7seenkh2iag/modlist.ckan?dl=0

(Not shown, some handcrafted MM patches for a) making KAS cable bracing 50m long, b) fixing an IVA, c) making certain track sounds from KF quieter, d) adding my major bases to the MechJeb landing site presets... Hopefully those aren't relevant!)

13 hours ago, ChrisF0001 said:

Hopefully this is such a link (first time I've tried sharing links out of DropBox...).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/058u7seenkh2iag/modlist.ckan?dl=0

Great! And the .sfs?

I wonder if there are other things that could break it.

That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out :huh:

Also since the orbital assembly line can make ground containers, I thought for sure it was deliberate!)

(...If you're trying to make, say, a base part to be built somewhere where there is no assembly line, only a workshop, it's much easier to build it entirely in orbit rather than trying to land a skycrane on top of a container by hand!)

Well, an assembly line can assemble a kit inside ground container within assembly space (if it fits in it, of course). But it shouldn't be possible to do it with docked ground container. Anyways, how do you dock the ground container, if it only has one docking port? :o Ok, via double-port adapter like this... [container]->[port-por]<-station ... but then if you try to set the kit to it to assemble, it'll resize and undock everything from itself. But then you could redock? Need to play with this scenario.

rather than trying to land a skycrane on top of a container by hand!

Many times I tried to invent something more convenient for transportation. Maybe use the Klaw? That would still require to land it on top though; but with TCA it's not a problem.

I'm thinking about making the ATMagneticDumper (a module that holds spawned containers inside assembly space in orbit) into a transportation solution. Or one can use KAS, or Konstruction...

On 12/5/2019 at 12:38 PM, allista said:

Great! And the .sfs?

Ah yes, of course...  It's a little large but the entire career save is here (should be a quicksave focussed on the relevant station):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vb7ktfqabeshuxr/GCTest.sfs?dl=0

(I'll try to make a smaller-scale test...)

Well, an assembly line can assemble a kit inside ground container within assembly space (if it fits in it, of course). But it shouldn't be possible to do it with docked ground container. Anyways, how do you dock the ground container, if it only has one docking port? :o Ok, via double-port adapter like this... [container]->[port-por]<-station ... but then if you try to set the kit to it to assemble, it'll resize and undock everything from itself. But then you could redock? Need to play with this scenario.

Well, you use a Klaw of course (hence the 'Heavy Workpod' on top of that station - Klaw on the front, docking port on the back, and enough RCS thrust to pull containers out of the assembly space).  Once it's docked you can release the Klaw, then it seemed to resize for assembly just fine, then when complete, grab with the Klaw again, dock it to the skycrane (or possibly vice-versa as the ports on containers don't work with MechJeb), deliver to the surface somewhere and build away!  :)

(I did a couple of times experiment with vehicles designed to pick containers up and lift off with them, but getting enough clearance while maintaining stability was tricky - then I discovered that you could just do everything in orbit...)

Edit - Okay, I have here a slightly simpler test case, assuming it works:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkknxexg5b52h8l/ConstructionTestA.craft?dl=0

That's basically a workshop with a kit on each end, each connected by a battery -> "Part X" -> battery -> docking port -> Kit, where "Part X" is a Universal Storage four-bay service core. (Very obscure compatibilty issue? Well...)

The interesting bit is this.  When I go into the SPH, load that file and launch, neither kit is visible to the workshop.  Revert to SPH.  Now, pick up one kit by the quad core part and immediately re-attach it, then launch again.  Now, just that kit is visible to the workshop!  Revert to SPH and launch immediately, doing nothing.  Now it's gone again!

I haven't been able to eliminate the quad-core part from my enquiries, as it was a couple of hours before I understood that whether the test 'worked' or not was as dependent on what I'd just done in the editor as it was on the parts involved(!).  It may work with just GC and Universal Storage 2, I haven't done that test yet - but this is the simplest / most interesting / most repeatable case I've found so far.

Further edit - of course it does strike me that the thing about that quad-core part is that it has four subtypes / 'textures' that change its length. So presuably one of those attach nodes is non-standard in some way, but I have no idea how that's done.  (Compatibility issue?)  I now wonder if it would all start working if I just turned that part around (so perhaps the 'down-walk' node is the fixed one?).  Further testing required, when I'm back from work. :)   (...Now done, and I believe I can confirm.  If the part is turned around, the workshop always sees the kit.)

Thank you so much for your patience... ^_^;

Edited by ChrisF0001
New speculation