[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

I leave it here. First steps to learn mechanics of MKS in my carrer game before deploying Duna base.

9z7gPIW.png

Base complex is on the border between Mun's highlands and midlands, because in those two biomes are present all needed resources. All bases was dropped partly assembled (tubes with drills attached etc.) and then finished with the help of KAS and PAL rover (the small yellow one) to increase Kerbal's weight limit. The first one was Karibou rover, to scout Mun, mark suitable flat locations and then serve as qualified rover for local logistics. Then was dropped the smallest base with PAL rovers and after that the two other bases. The far one is mining only, with skeleton crew. The nearest one has Duna Ag. module to grow food from Substrate and Workshop. There were minor hiccups during the way, but it's part of the learning process :) As @RoverDude says: "Start small, grow big." :wink:

Edited by maja

10 minutes ago, N3N said:

But can you please explain a little further, what this 2 lines in the MKS CHANGELOG.txt mean:

The mod OSE Workshop configures the stock drills to be able to extract modded resources (this has been removed since the MKS drills are supposed to do that) and the MKS drills now can now produce plain rock for use with ART, and it is also now a byproduct output of all MKS raw material converters.

@maja Very nice, much base envy. Scattered Ranger modules look so much better than a block of Tundras.

Edited by voicey99

I am currently planning to make some Munar kolonies in a career to experiment with the mod, and I have a few questions:

What parts do you need to collect the fund/rep/science bonuses?

Do space stations count as kolonies that can collect the bonuses? If yes, do space stations around Kerbin count?

And, is it possible to train crew with less useful skills to become pilots/engineers/scientists?

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, Thegamer211 said:

I am currently planning to make some Munar kolonies in a career to experiment with the mod, and I have a few questions:

Do space stations count as kolonies that can collect the bonuses? If yes, do space stations around Kerbin count?

And, is it possible to train crew with less useful skills to become pilots/engineers/scientists?

Thanks in advance!

In order: You need a Duna/Tundra Pioneer module to do that, no and no again (at least certainly not within MKS).

1 hour ago, Thegamer211 said:

Thanks in advance!

There's a couple of possible bonuses you could be referring to - If you mean the Kolonization bonus that gives passive background effects, then space stations do count, and pretty much any MKS part will help it accumulate.

If you're looking for the Kolony Rewards that you can get, which are partially based on the Kolonization bonus, then you need to collect them from a Pioneer module.  (I haven't tried collecting them from in space myself.  I'd think they should be possible, but I can see them not being either.)

And space stations around Kerbin would count towards Kolonizing Kerbin - which can't be Kolonized because it's your home.  :wink: 

I've discovered a bit of a dangerous hacky cheat if anyone wants to get random Kerbals. Apparently they still populate behind the sceness, if you look at the cheat menu under kerbals you will see a list of applicants. To hire them you'll have to edit the persistent.sfs file by changing their type = Applicant to type = Crew. Back up your save file before touching these though, I've borked a few saves doing seemingly "safe" edits. This seems to work though. If you feel guilty about the freebies just knock off some funds in the cheat menu.

Just now, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I've discovered a bit of a dangerous hacky cheat if anyone wants to get random Kerbals. Apparently they still populate behind the scenes, if you look at the cheat menu under kerbals you will see a list of applicants. To hire them you'll have to edit the persistent.sfs file by changing their type = Applicant to type = Crew. Back up your save file before touching these though, I've borked a few saves doing seemingly "safe" edits. This seems to work though. If you feel guilty about the freebies just knock off some funds in the cheat menu.

Aren't applicants listed in the vanilla persistence as well? The kerbals you're looking at might still 'spawn' for the AC even though they can't be hired directly any more. I can think of plenty more cheaty cheats with the persistence than the odd free crewmember.

12 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Heads up, there is a new constellation pre-release up at:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI_Constellation/releases/tag/2017.05.03.00

Remember that this is a pre-release!  You will have to update manually with the final constellation version once that is pushed.  Lots of MKS/USI-LS changes along with some Karbonite balances, etc. (see the individual readmes for details).  Ping us if you have any issues

Hi there Roverdude. 

Love your mods. 

After downloading and installing the pre-release, I seem to take a pretty severe FPS hit when close to large bases. After installing the old version everything is fine again.

11 hours ago, voicey99 said:

The mod OSE Workshop configures the stock drills to be able to extract modded resources (this has been removed since the MKS drills are supposed to do that) and the MKS drills now can now produce plain rock for use with ART, and it is also now a byproduct output of all MKS raw material converters.

@maja Very nice, much base envy. Scattered Ranger modules look so much better than a block of Tundras.

Hey voicey99,

Thank you!

I'm setting up my very first base using the example duna lander craft given on the wiki. I can't figure out how to link the expand tube to the anchor hub though. When I click 'link' while on my engineer, it links to the engineer's head with a green thing. I've tried taking it over to the hub like that, but right clicking gives no additional options. Do I need to move the hub closer to the tube for now and increase distance later?

Neither the wiki nor the KSPedia entries seem to even acknowledge the tube's existence outside of telling me to place the anchor hub first, then the tube, on the example craft's stuff. No actual method is given. Just told to do it. EDIT: Okay, there is a general KSPedia entry on things like these tubes, but it doesn't say a thing about how. I'll keep looking.

EDIT: apparently I need another tube to put on the other side. Problem is... there isn't an extra one included with this example craft. And I can't detach any of the existing ones, only deconstruct them, which is worse than useless right now (because that's another button I have to try not to accidentally hit) The engineer working on all this already has a screwdriver, so it's not like I haven't tried. I'm probably just doing it wrong.

Edited by silvermistshadow

52 minutes ago, silvermistshadow said:

I'm setting up my very first base using the example duna lander craft given on the wiki. I can't figure out how to link the expand tube to the anchor hub though. When I click 'link' while on my engineer, it links to the engineer's head with a green thing. I've tried taking it over to the hub like that, but right clicking gives no additional options. Do I need to move the hub closer to the tube for now and increase distance later?

Neither the wiki nor the KSPedia entries seem to even acknowledge the tube's existence outside of telling me to place the anchor hub first, then the tube, on the example craft's stuff. No actual method is given. Just told to do it. EDIT: Okay, there is a general KSPedia entry on things like these tubes, but it doesn't say a thing about how. I'll keep looking.

EDIT: apparently I need another tube to put on the other side. Problem is... there isn't an extra one included with this example craft. And I can't detach any of the existing ones, only deconstruct them, which is worse than useless right now (because that's another button I have to try not to accidentally hit) The engineer working on all this already has a screwdriver, so it's not like I haven't tried. I'm probably just doing it wrong.

IIRC my build for that - there should be the one attached directly to the base, and the one attached on the outside of the mini-hab.  Intended deployment is to put the anchor hub out near the one directly attached, and then pull the one off the mini-hab and use it on the anchor hub.

Note that to detach you need to open your Kerbal's inventory, hold down 'g', click on the tube, and drag it (without unclicking, ideally) to a spot in the inventory.  There isn't a button.

Ok, I found the command module, its the Orca command module you had! has it been scrapped or delayed? because it was 7 months ago and nothing new... please, please keep it, it looks amazing

Also if a science module could be made because the stock one looks weird with the MKS modules, it would be really cool if you did!

:D

Edited by Raccoon_
added some more info

29 minutes ago, silvermistshadow said:

Well, that worked. And then I found a spot that was even flatter a short distance away. But I had already blown the skycrane up. So now I'm using this. Not sure if that's the intended use of a tube, but it works.

<schnip>

Forget the tube, I'm not sure that's the intended use of a Duna module either :wink:. Who knew they could be used in rovers?

10 hours ago, Grobluk said:

Hi there Roverdude. 

Love your mods. 

After downloading and installing the pre-release, I seem to take a pretty severe FPS hit when close to large bases. After installing the old version everything is fine again.

Log please?  Also would be good to see if anyone else is experiencing this

5 hours ago, silvermistshadow said:

FYI you are referring to Flex-O-Tubes (which require KIS) - Expand-o-tubes have been deprecated for a while.

1 hour ago, Raccoon_ said:

Ok, I found the command module, its the Orca command module you had! has it been scrapped or delayed? because it was 7 months ago and nothing new... please, please keep it, it looks amazing

Also if a science module could be made because the stock one looks weird with the MKS modules, it would be really cool if you did!

:D

Been a part of FTT for ages now :)

Playing through a CTT career with MKS, and it occurs to me that MKS's CTT.cfg was built seemingly by putting parts in the 'correct sounding' tech node, rather than tech nodes that actually make sense for game progression. For example, most Duna and Tundra modules (2.5 & 3.75 alike) are all in the same 'long term habitation' node, even including the pioneer. All three ranger hab modules are in the same unlock. Essentially the career CTT player currently goes from "can't build anything resembling a colony" to "build absolutely whatever you want" with one or two tech node unlocks.

Any chance we could get the CTT progression for MKS a bit more 'fleshed out'? I feel solid progression, as with MKS itself, would be ideal (Basic ranger -> Advanced ranger + Basic Duna -> Advanced Duna + Basic Tundra -> Advanced Tundra -> Etc). Perhaps this will also help reinforce the "Start Small/Simple" philosophy. 

Hey,

I saw this mod "BackgroundProcessing" and thought something like this is maybe a great extension for the "Planetary Logistics" in MKS or for the USI-LS.

Is something like this planned for the future?

Or are there other future plans for the planetary logistics?

And is it somehow possible to interact via planetary logistics (or other) for a space station around Minmus with a base at Minmus?

Background processing (i.e. running processes on unloaded vessels) is generally a really really bad idea, especially given the number of bases, converters, etc. you typically see in late game with colonization.

But there *is* a new logistics system in the works :wink:

23 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Background processing (i.e. running processes on unloaded vessels) is generally a really really bad idea, especially given the number of bases, converters, etc. you typically see in late game with colonization.

But there *is* a new logistics system in the works :wink:

Hey RoverDude,

OK, I believe you, :wink:

but it would be wonderful to not have to switch to every single base after X days/hours to update the planetary logistics.

Are there, somewhere more information about *this* new logistics system or a way to help you with it?

And is it somehow possible to interact via planetary logistics (or other) for a space station around Minmus with a base at Minmus?

Edited by N3N

12 minutes ago, N3N said:

OK, I believe you,

but it would be wonderful to not have to switch to every single base after X days/hours to update the planetary logistics.

There is no particular need to do so.  Just remember to visit the bases in order when you return to a planet after an extended period(example form my game: Mun Automated Drills -> Mun support base -> Mun manufacturing base -> Mun Way-station)

Aside from using my way-station as a gas station, my biggest reason for visiting my bases on a regular bases come from a combination of research and colony rewards: if I do not stop by every 30-60 days the Labs will be full of science to return and stop researching, and while I am there, I might as well get the kolony rewards too.

12 minutes ago, N3N said:

Are there, somewhere more information about *this* new logistics system or a way to help you with it?

There have been comments about working on an interplanetary transport system that would let you do things like send Specialized Parts from a Mun base to a Duna base.

Aside from things like 'having appropriate shipping costs' I do not think we have a lot of details just yet.

2 minutes ago, Terwin said:

There is no particular need to do so.  Just remember to visit the bases in order when you return to a planet after an extended period(example form my game: Mun Automated Drills -> Mun support base -> Mun manufacturing base -> Mun Way-station)

Aside from using my way-station as a gas station, my biggest reason for visiting my bases on a regular bases come from a combination of research and colony rewards: if I do not stop by every 30-60 days the Labs will be full of science to return and stop researching, and while I am there, I might as well get the kolony rewards too.

Hey Terwin,

Thank you.

I thought I had to visit my bases every 13h or so, because of the resource transfers (something about that was written many pages ago).

Can you transfer resources via planetary logistics from a mun base to a mun space station?

Is it that what you mean by "Mun manufacturing base -> Mun Way-station"?

2 minutes ago, N3N said:

Hey Terwin,

Thank you.

I thought I had to visit my bases every 13h or so, because of the resource transfers (something about that was written many pages ago).

Nope.  It gets processed in 6-hour batches - but it will do as many 6-hour batches as it needs to to cover the time you were away.  So as long as you have enough space for each batch, you can stay away for as long as you want.  (Which is where the 13-hour recommendation comes from: PL will only half-empty a container, and you need 6 hours of *empty* storage during the batch, because PL only fires once per batch.  So 13 hours worth of storage means you'll have enough storage free to perform each batch, with a small margin just in case.)

6 minutes ago, N3N said:

Can you transfer resources via planetary logistics from a mun base to a mun space station?

Is it that what you mean by "Mun manufacturing base -> Mun Way-station"?

Not yet.  Planetary to space is part of whatever RoverDude's working on.

6 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

PL works only on the surface.  And I've let my bases sit for years between visits (The only issue then is machinery wearing out if enabled).

Ok, thank you. :wink:

2 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Nope.  It gets processed in 6-hour batches - but it will do as many 6-hour batches as it needs to to cover the time you were away.  So as long as you have enough space for each batch, you can stay away for as long as you want.  (Which is where the 13-hour recommendation comes from: PL will only half-empty a container, and you need 6 hours of *empty* storage during the batch, because PL only fires once per batch.  So 13 hours worth of storage means you'll have enough storage free to perform each batch, with a small margin just in case.)

Not yet.  Planetary to space is part of whatever RoverDude's working on.

Ok, thank you :wink:

Planetary to space logistics is a very good idea, I hope it's coming soon. :wink: