[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

If you need a bit more variety to your orbital stations then I suggest that you consider enhancing your MKS/USI-LS based station with some extra flare :cool: from Nertea's Near Future Solar, Near Future Construction (simply awesome) and Stockalike Station Parts.

mqgtcWA.png

OwEf9r1.png

The MKS parts make for really good looking core habitation areas and then Nertea's parts add on the docking facilities, integrated trusses, solar panels, etc.

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Combination of both, plus some surprises

When it comes to Colonization bonuses, isn't a reduction in part-count self-defeating?

Would it be appropriate for the bonus calculation to instead use dry-weight(+ construction weight if expandable)?

(love the mods btw)

Edited by Terwin

15 hours ago, Tomycj said:

Wich hab-modules did you use? And thanks for the rest of the info, looking at other player's bases will sure help me to understand.

Mostly 2.5m and Ranger Hab modules, as those fit the size of the pioneer/logistics module I used as a root part.

Later I added some 3.5m parts(training center, agricultural and assembly modules along with 3 colonization modules to make and use colony supplies to support all my Kolonists.  Manufacturing bases elsewhere handle things like kits, specialized parts, and machinery)

47 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

A good point, or build in a multiplier to the different modules (so you could have some that are more beneficial, and some that are less)

Is that your way of getting us to use orbital parts in orbit and base parts on bases? Like, using the Bigelows on the surface and not hab rings? :)

Edited by Gilph

24 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

@RoverDude Here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W912eOmsTE-D45V3jmp5_dhuwiYHyCHtC-WJPs5b-Go/edit?usp=sharing

All results are in the spreadsheet. The numbers represent the average FPS I get in that scene. First column represents the mods installed. There is also a chart.

How similar are the different vessels?

22 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

How similar are the different vessels?

Bases are rougly similar, Mun base is a little bit bigger and has a PAL Rover nearby. Kerbin Station is huge and has mostly MKS tundra parts. Eve satellite is small and has many stock and Dmagic mod science parts.

Station:

Spoiler

JKHQkQD.png

Mun Base:

Spoiler

UOatHFp.png

Gilly Base: 

Spoiler

DbK5Uvv.png

Eve satellite: 

Spoiler

oIuERIs.png

EDIT: Also, unrelated, this is how I use the Malemute:

Spoiler

ciGL5yD.png

Edited by sh1pman

51 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

@RoverDude Here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W912eOmsTE-D45V3jmp5_dhuwiYHyCHtC-WJPs5b-Go/edit?usp=sharing

All results are in the spreadsheet. The numbers represent the average FPS I get in that scene. First column represents the mods installed. There is also a chart.

Whoa, that's awesome. So... just on a quick once-over, it looks like basically the heavy-hitters are Kopernicus and Modular Flight Integrator. I... would not have called that in a million years. Fascinating. I don't run OPM, I run Kerbal Origins, Jool Biomes, and Realistic Atmospheres...  I could stand to lose the latter two, but I have a scout probe half way to Harvest right now. :( Still, for another 10 FPS... that's tempting.

What does MFI do with no FAR? *checks* The exact same list. :/

Did you, by any chance, have Physical Time Ratio Viewer installed, and have secreted away data from it? *gives a winning grin*

Predictably, the big graphics mods hit harder around Kerbin... interesting that they do practically nothing on Eve though. *tilts head*

Edited by FirroSeranel

Based on that... I have a theory. I think the physics engine basically totally freaks out at having lots of contact points with the ground. I wonder what would happen if you landed two copies of the same base, one that rests a bunch of stuff on the ground, and one that's all carefully balanced on a single Cradle, or even a single 3.75m or 5m part...

3 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Nope, never heard of it. 

Oh, it's one of my must-have mods. It's extremely light-weight. All it does is put a % counter under the Warp box that tells you what percentage of realtime the physics engine is running. It's how I keep giving precise numbers on how much physics rate improves or declines. It also gives a lot of insight into just what kinds of things make the physics engine spaz out, and what it can handle with no problem.

http://kerbokatz.github.io/

Also from KerboKatz, if you don't have it, I basically won't play career mode without Automated Science Sampler.

Edited by FirroSeranel

3 hours ago, sh1pman said:

2 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

Whoa, that's awesome. So... just on a quick once-over, it looks like basically the heavy-hitters are Kopernicus and Modular Flight Integrator. I... would not have called that in a million years. Fascinating. I don't run OPM, I run Kerbal Origins, Jool Biomes, and Realistic Atmospheres...  I could stand to lose the latter two, but I have a scout probe half way to Harvest right now. :( Still, for another 10 FPS... that's tempting.

What does MFI do with no FAR? *checks* The exact same list. :/

Did you, by any chance, have Physical Time Ratio Viewer installed, and have secreted away data from it? *gives a winning grin*

Predictably, the big graphics mods hit harder around Kerbin... interesting that they do practically nothing on Eve though. *tilts head*

Just a small FYI: On page 63 of the Kopernicus thread there is a bit of a discussion about Kopernicus-induced lag. Poodmund had a user test his base on Minmus as well as Eeloo. When the lag appeared on the Mun and Eeloo, but not Minmus, he had this to say:

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎13 at 1:57 PM, Poodmund said:

I've heard quite a few people complain about this issue on the Mun and its its apparent on Eeloo too but not Minmus it would point to the Voronoi implementation but without logs and numbers to back up the issue then its sheer speculation.

I have NO idea as to what that means, but I have a feeling you guys may be chasing a bit of the same bug. It may be worth having a quick scan of the Kopernicus thread. Maybe some of this info can help the guys there figure out what's going on?

13 hours ago, TauPhraim said:

I have a running Duna PDU on an unmanned (flying) vessel, with active and sufficient radiators. Whenever I get away from the vessel and come back, the PDU reactor gets reset to stopped state. Is this a known bug, or working as designed ?

I see in the part the Duna PSU has AutoShutdown = true. But so do the reactors, and I don't see them having the problem.

My guess is that "AutoShutdown" means "shut down automatically if temperature exceeds some bad value", and maybe the PDU has a bug regarding temperature.

Anyone else got problems with the PDU ?

3 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

It might be because my Eve satellite is in higher orbit than the Kerbin station (350km vs. 100km). 

What does MFI do with no FAR?

I think MFI is bundled with Kopernicus, that's why I checked both of them (I might be wrong)

Still, for another 10 FPS... that's tempting.

I feel you... Still deciding what I want more, framerate or beautiful planet packs :/

Based on that... I have a theory. I think the physics engine basically totally freaks out at having lots of contact points with the ground. I wonder what would happen if you landed two copies of the same base, one that rests a bunch of stuff on the ground, and one that's all carefully balanced on a single Cradle, or even a single 3.75m or 5m part...

I doubt this is the case. I haven't seen any drastic framerate drops when I was landing a vessel on the Mun and Gilly. It was pretty bad all the time (55 fps tops for stock-only vessel). 

Oh, it's one of my must-have mods. It's extremely light-weight. All it does is put a % counter under the Warp box that tells you what percentage of realtime the physics engine is running. It's how I keep giving precise numbers on how much physics rate improves or declines. It also gives a lot of insight into just what kinds of things make the physics engine spaz out, and what it can handle with no problem.

Hmm, so how exactly will that help us nail down the framerate issue with Kopernicus?

Also from KerboKatz, if you don't have it, I basically won't play career mode without Automated Science Sampler.

Auto science samplers are blatant cheating! They take so much from the game, you probably don't even read the experiment results, do you? :D

Edited by sh1pman

11 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

By the way, how does OSE Workshop's workshops determine what parts they can build, and what they can't?

The volume of the largest KIS container you have must be able to fit the part. So if you add a larger KIS container, you can build bigger parts. OSE itself has no limit.

(It's no problem if the container isn't empty, then OSE will stall the construction until there's enough space.)

7 minutes ago, jd284 said:

The volume of the largest KIS container you have must be able to fit the part. So if you add a larger KIS container, you can build bigger parts. OSE itself has no limit.

(It's no problem if the container isn't empty, then OSE will stall the construction until there's enough space.)

Also, the 5m KIS container is so big that you can print 3.75m Tundra parts with OSE. If you have a PAL rover nearby, you don't even need EL or GC to expand the base.

51 minutes ago, TauPhraim said:

I see in the part the Duna PSU has AutoShutdown = true. But so do the reactors, and I don't see them having the problem.

My guess is that "AutoShutdown" means "shut down automatically if temperature exceeds some bad value", and maybe the PDU has a bug regarding temperature.

Anyone else got problems with the PDU ?

I did...cycle the legs (deploy/retract).  See if that fixes it.

edit: Sorry, cycle it but end with them deployed.  @jd284gave me that fix.

Edited by Gilph

24 minutes ago, Gilph said:

I did...cycle the legs (deploy/retract).  See if that fixes it.

edit: Sorry, cycle it but end with them deployed.  @jd284gave me that fix.

10 minutes ago, TauPhraim said:

Thanks, will try ! Very strange if that works, I don't see how the link could operate.

Roverdude fixed that bug in USITools a few versions back. Looks like it snuck back in.

5 minutes ago, jd284 said:

Roverdude fixed that bug in USITools a few versions back. Looks like it snuck back in.

Hum this looks fixed indeed. I don't have the last version (I'm always scared to update to be honest). I'll try cherry-picking the fix :)