RoverDude

[1.3] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

Recommended Posts

Someone else who reads the thread before starting!  Yay!  :cool:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RoverDude said:

As noted - Kerbalism is pretty hard-core incompatible with MKS.  It overrides stock modules (rant time - stock overrides need to be opt-in, not mess with other people's stuff that leverages stock).  So even if I did not have my own LS mod, I would never recommend Kerbalism for that reason.

Thank mate.

Not only for the great answers. I remember asking questions on a KSP thread when playing it last about 3 years ago. And you coming in quickly and giving me some great answers. And here I am, 2019, and here's this great support all over again.

Short story: Yesterday I ordered take out. It never arrived. Tried to call them six times, there was nobody there. Never got a refund. This is basically the polar opposite of that. So thanks.

And it makes a difference. This week, I lost a colleague at work, passed away. Next door office neighbour for 4 years. Guess I'm drowning it in KSP, and, well thanks. 

On the downside, looks like I need to hyperedit all my ships down to Kerbin, strip them of Kerbalism parts, replace with USI-LS parts, hyperedit them back up, and dump Kerbalism. Somebody should invent a mod for fixing ships - or at least ship designs - when you uninstall mods.  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All. I am somewhat new to this mod and thought I would list a few "gotchas" for newer users. (perhaps I should submit this to wiki thread?) This only pertains to the current release version(0.55.0.0) playing KSP 1.4.5 btw. "MKS Explainer" mod is really helpful for understanding the finer details of this mod, but it has some bugs of its own. This mod could really use a better UI. Mostly to have a histogram of production and usage(graphs). However this would not be a small undertaking. I had to create a few spreadsheets to achieve this. Also, I would recommend Kerbal Foundries 2, because tracks look awesome on Honeybadger.

All that said, this mod is incredible. It reminds me of a game called M.U.L.E.(circa 1981). The overlap of resources was either diabolical or ingenious, take your pick. The depth of this mod puts it on the level of creating a game in its own right.

Spoiler

1. Learn how the "catchup" mechanic works. It increments in Kerbal days, so you need enough storage for a full day.

2. If you create several ships for planet wide exploitation, you must visit your ships in order. If you have a factory that depends on ore, you must visit the drill first so that the  "catchup" mechanic can replenish the ore and then visit your LFO converter so that the ore is present for the converter. In stock, since most of the time the drill and the converter are on the same ship, the way the "catchup" mechanic works isn't immediately obvious. But with so many resource chains in MKS, it becomes imperative to understand.

3. Bonus multipliers multiply everything including power usage. As your base expands and your bonus increases you will have to use the governor to reduce the effects of bonus multiplier. (bonus is a blessing...and a curse).

4. PDU(Power Distribution Units) need to have an engineer or equivalent, in them, unless a transceiver is installed.

5. Kolonization load is based on hab multipliers. So common areas really increase the load on the kolonization module as opposed to crew quarters. (the governor serves no purpose on this module by the way)

6. The Honeybadger reactor is not currently field serviceable, So if use GC you will need to modify the part through MM, because it will be empty of EU when created.

7. If you use GC and have a Scout-200 power pack installed. It will be useless once built as there is no way to refuel it.

8. There is no way to directly control "Machinery" or "Enriched Uranium". The only way to transfer those resources is with a kerbal on EVA, with the "Perform Maintenance" button or in the case of "Machinery" have a kerbal engineer or equivalent in the workshop. The local warehouse and the planetary warehouse buttons on the Enriched Uranium containers serve no purpose.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Divstator said:

All that said, this mod is incredible. It reminds me of a game called M.U.L.E.(circa 1981). The overlap of resources was either diabolical or ingenious, take your pick. The depth of this mod puts it on the level of creating a game in its own right.

Oh I loved M.U.L.E.!  And glad you dig the mod!  In other news... there's some VERY cool stuff coming up that will turn this up to 11 ;)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys forgive me if this was asked but is MKS and the other roverdude mods comparable w 1.6? Despite it saying they are for 1.3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Off topic) Mule was great, especially on the Atari 800 with 4 people and 4 joysticks.  I can still (mentally) hear the theme music!  They did so much with 8 bits and 48K (the 6502 was an amazing cpu - I learned assembly on it a long time ago).  I may have to see if there is a legal port (or hacked if I have to go there) version floating around.

Thanks for the memories.  And maybe that is why I like MKS/USI stuff - its nicely woven with just the right amount of inter-dependencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, justspace103 said:

Hey guys forgive me if this was asked but is MKS and the other roverdude mods comparable w 1.6? Despite it saying they are for 1.3

greatfully tested in 1.6 .. as far I seen .. works flawless, unless the usual bugs like completed orbital resource transfers borking the orbital logistics window and causing NRE's (easy fix edit the savefile and remove completed transfers or all transfers).

All in all I saw only performance improvements in stock adding up to everything else while using about 130 mods.

Edited by LatiMacciato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G'Day Roverdude,

I tried to load MKS via Ckan, and it cached it. On further investigation, I saw that MKS is rated up to 1.4.9, and I am using 1.5. Is it an easy thing to change to flag it, and other of your Mods, to be compatible with KSP 1.5.x? I can install it manually, but I would prefer to use Ckan where possible.

Thanking you in advance for your help,

 

M13

 

P.S. Merry Christmas to you & your family. Have a good one :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, marauder13 said:

G'Day Roverdude,

I tried to load MKS via Ckan, and it cached it. On further investigation, I saw that MKS is rated up to 1.4.9, and I am using 1.5. Is it an easy thing to change to flag it, and other of your Mods, to be compatible with KSP 1.5.x? I can install it manually, but I would prefer to use Ckan where possible.

CKAN questions are generally best asked in the CKAN thread.  However, RoverDude maintains his own CKAN files and versions so I would suggest you respect RoverDude's telling you the version isn't quite compatible/tested.  If I'm not mistaken, and if you can't wait for CKAN, the constellation download is available on Spacedock and GitHub (see the OP).

Were you aware that In CKAN, there is a menu item Settings > Compatible KSP versions that allows you to limit the versions that will appear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brigadier said:

CKAN questions are generally best asked in the CKAN thread.  However, RoverDude maintains his own CKAN files and versions so I would suggest you respect RoverDude's telling you the version isn't quite compatible/tested.  If I'm not mistaken, and if you can't wait for CKAN, the constellation download is available on Spacedock and GitHub (see the OP).

Were you aware that In CKAN, there is a menu item Settings > Compatible KSP versions that allows you to limit the versions that will appear?

G'Day Brigadier,

I know the question was sort of Ckan related, but since I noticed the limit when I looked at the details that came up, I thought it was more relevant to Roverdude than the author of Ckan. I meant no disrespect to Roverdude and his efforts, but I was simply asking if it was something that he overlooked, or it was easily changed. If it was not the case, then I would find a work around, since other people have said elsewhere that the MKS mod worked well with 1.6.x.

 

I missed the reference to the constellation build, and I am sorry for asking the question that I did having missed that. I will do my best to be more thorough in future before posting any questions.

 

Finally, no, I was not aware of that functionality, and since you have mentioned it, I have found it, and tinkered with it and got the result that I was after. Thank you for point that out to me.

 

Finally, I would once again like to apologize for any mistakes, disrespect or other errors on my part with the asking of my question. I have the utmost respect for all the mod authors of all the games I play, not just KSP. I try to find answers before I ask questions, and when I do, I try to be as polite and understanding as I can because of the time and effort people like Roverdude put into their work. So, now, fully armed with new info, I shall go forth and use it for the greater good of Kerbal Space Exploration.

 

Thanking everyone for their time, consideration and answers,

 

M13

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question about colony growth

If one has a permanent colony on a planet or moon and new kerbals are acquired through colony growth (I'm talking about the function the colonization module offers), how does homesickness work for the kerbals born in the colony? Do they get homesick and want to return to kerbin, or do they want to return to their base, or do they want to return to their planet/moon, or what?

I just want to know because I'm considering building an interplanetary seed ship which will go around colonizing one destination after another, and it seems important to know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed that equipped KIS tools (such as the ever-useful Electric Screwdriver) that Kerbals are carrying get destroyed when the Kerbal enters an inflatable module. I presume this is because the module has no inventory space. Is this a bug or intended behavior?

(Happened in both 1.5 and 1.6 and I believe back in 1.4 as well. There's a bug report about it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jzroth said:

I've noticed that equipped KIS tools (such as the ever-useful Electric Screwdriver) that Kerbals are carrying get destroyed when the Kerbal enters an inflatable module. I presume this is because the module has no inventory space. Is this a bug or intended behavior?

(Happened in both 1.5 and 1.6 and I believe back in 1.4 as well. There's a bug report about it).

actually both Bug & intended behavior. due to an error/complexity in KIS about seats in inflatable modules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tabris said:

actually both Bug & intended behavior. due to an error/complexity in KIS about seats in inflatable modules.

Well not really.  It is intended behavior.  It isn't a bug.  Seat inventory is not "real" KIS inventory like a container.  It was only implemented to allow you to give a kerbal KIS items in their backpack at launch, since you cannot directly interact with kerbals in the VAB.  You could maybe consider it a bug that KIS doesn't have a feature for a persistent "backpack" for each kerbal,  but either way this is all on the KIS side, not here.

So inflatable parts without seats when deflated will encounter the issue of parts disappearing.   If you attempt to put KIS items into an empty seat they will go poof as well.

There has been discussion in the KIS thread about changing this part of KIS in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2018 at 3:55 AM, marauder13 said:

I know the question was sort of Ckan related, but since I noticed the limit when I looked at the details that came up, I thought it was more relevant to Roverdude than the author of Ckan. I meant no disrespect to Roverdude and his efforts, but I was simply asking if it was something that he overlooked, or it was easily changed. If it was not the case, then I would find a work around, since other people have said elsewhere that the MKS mod worked well with 1.6.x.

<snip>

Finally, I would once again like to apologize for any mistakes, disrespect or other errors on my part with the asking of my question. I have the utmost respect for all the mod authors of all the games I play, not just KSP. I try to find answers before I ask questions, and when I do, I try to be as polite and understanding as I can because of the time and effort people like Roverdude put into their work. So, now, fully armed with new info, I shall go forth and use it for the greater good of Kerbal Space Exploration.

On review, I think my phrasing could have been interpreted as being a little too harsh, sorry.  No apologies on your part are necessary; you asked a question and I was trying to be helpful and point you in the right direction but my 'respect' comment could have been more..well, respectful :blush:

Glad you're finding CKAN is more effective for your game.

Happy holidays and fly safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 10:23 AM, Friznit said:

I've been having an issue for sometime with some functions of the Duna modules turning off when I switch focus.  Some (but not all) part options are turned off when I reload the scene - recyclers, habitats etc.  It seems a bit random so hard to pin down the root cause.  Before I go through a lengthy diagnosis to strip out mods and get a sensible set of logs, am I missing something obvious?  Forgive me if this is answered elsewhere already, thread search didn't highlight anything telling.

Did you ever find a cause for this?

I have 7 Duna Pioneer modules I turn on the recycler for. These are on my mothership oribiting Gaia (future Kerbin in GPO mod).
If I leave to the tracking station and go back immediately, they are all turned off.

I have over 1.2 million in EC. And nothing that drains a lot of energy, not anything more than some hab stuff and agroponics.
The Tundra agroponics are still running, and the hab modules are still providing hab. It's just the recyclers on the Duna modules that are turned off when I go back.

@RoverDude Any idea what we're seeing here? Or what we could try to identify/mitigate problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TackleMcClean said:

Did you ever find a cause for this?

I have 7 Duna Pioneer modules I turn on the recycler for. These are on my mothership oribiting Gaia (future Kerbin in GPO mod).
If I leave to the tracking station and go back immediately, they are all turned off.

I have over 1.2 million in EC. And nothing that drains a lot of energy, not anything more than some hab stuff and agroponics.
The Tundra agroponics are still running, and the hab modules are still providing hab. It's just the recyclers on the Duna modules that are turned off when I go back.

@RoverDude Any idea what we're seeing here? Or what we could try to identify/mitigate problem?

I don't know if either of you gave version details.  I seek to recall this being an issue with some version but you'd have to dig back through the thread to verify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

I don't know if either of you gave version details.  I seek to recall this being an issue with some version but you'd have to dig back through the thread to verify

I'm on 1.5.1, using the latest USI constellation pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Constellation installation question.  I've just updated to KSP 1.5.1 with 1.4.5 versions of most of RoverDude's mods installed via CKAN.  If I want to install the constellation manually, should I remove the older mods via CKAN first then drop the constellation into GameData as per normal procedure, or will overwriting the existing install work?

9 hours ago, RoverDude said:

There's an update constellation coming in a bit with a fix that may sort this.

Will this constellation work with KSP 1.5.1?

Happy New Year everyone

Edited by Brigadier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

I have a Constellation installation question.  I've just updated to KSP 1.5.1 with 1.4.5 versions of most of RoverDude's mods installed via CKAN.  If I want to install the constellation manually, should I remove the older mods via CKAN first then drop the constellation into GameData as per normal procedure, or will overwriting the existing install work?

 

If your going to use the Constellation install - remove the CKAN version of MKS/USI (which should erase all the folders it installed) - then do a fresh install with Constellation - you should almost never install on top of mods - some things do not get removed when you do that - and can cause weird errors - as you noted per "normal procedure".

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely understand we're still well into the part of the year where work is unofficially over, so kudos to RoverDude for still being active here.

Whenever the new work year starts, perhaps a cleanup of the version numbers & individual mods would be appreciated by your adoring public. Personally, I just never liked firespitter, and not really sure what parts of constellation are safe to excise in what groups.

I guess you got hired by Squad, or whatever they're calling themselves these days, so congrats. Probably been asked already, but is there anything in the works to fold MKS into KSP itself in some form? When I came back to the game, I realized within a couple hours KSP was all but unplayable without at least the end goals of MKS + USI life support to add pull to get through the grindy exploration stock offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kellven said:

I completely understand we're still well into the part of the year where work is unofficially over, so kudos to RoverDude for still being active here.

Whenever the new work year starts, perhaps a cleanup of the version numbers & individual mods would be appreciated by your adoring public. Personally, I just never liked firespitter, and not really sure what parts of constellation are safe to excise in what groups.

I guess you got hired by Squad, or whatever they're calling themselves these days, so congrats. Probably been asked already, but is there anything in the works to fold MKS into KSP itself in some form? When I came back to the game, I realized within a couple hours KSP was all but unplayable without at least the end goals of MKS + USI life support to add pull to get through the grindy exploration stock offers.

Firespitter's tank switching function is the primary purpose of that mod's inclusion (and by mod it's just the .DLL).  So if you don't care about all of the tank switching I guess you could get rid of it.

Unless I missed a change @RoverDude has been a contractor for Squad for quite some time.

It has been discussed before, but with the very specific nature of MKS it is unlikely you'd see it integrated into stock.  It is an amazing gameplay addition but it would be way more than many people want in the stock game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now