RoverDude

[1.7.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

I usually just download everything from the USI site, but found that there seems to be some overlap resulting from bundling.

I am not entirely sure what all is bundled in with this pack, Karibou, Konstruction, Kontainers, what else?  Is there a complete list somewhere?

Just click on "catalog" in RD's sig. If you want to install more than one USI mod, just don't copy across the additional dependencies or download the Constellation instead, though it's currently out out date (@RoverDude needs to sync it). No list needed, since it's all right in front of you in the UmbraSpaceIndustries folder. Alternatively, copy it all over and it it says there's a file duplicate, either skip it or replace it.

Edited by voicey99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Just click on "catalog" in RD's sig. If you want to install more than one USI mod, just don't copy across the additional dependencies or download the Constellation instead, though it's currently out out date (@RoverDude needs to sync it). No list needed, since it's all right in front of you in the UmbraSpaceIndustries folder. Alternatively, copy it all over and it it says there's a file duplicate, either skip it or replace it.

Yes, the catalog is where I am downloading mods from. 

But no, the information is NOT right in front of me on that page to tell me what is or is not included each download. 

The entire point of having a list of the contents is to let people who are not already intimately familiar with this family of mods know exactly what is or is not included with each download before they download it.

For example:

Karibou rover system is listed as included with MKS.

Kontainers is NOT listed, but apparently IS included with MKS.

USI Life Support is mentioned on the front page here, but it is not specified if it is or is not included in the MKS download.

USI Core sounds like something I need, is it also included in MKS, or is that a separate download like the USI Life Support?

Do I need to download USI Core to run the Sounding Rockets pack?  What about USI Tools?

The Community Category Kit and Community Resource Pack sound like they are for modders, do I even need those?

If I need them, are they downloaded separately, or are they included with MKS? 

 

So yes, a list is needed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

Yes, the catalog is where I am downloading mods from. 

But no, the information is NOT right in front of me on that page to tell me what is or is not included each download. 

The entire point of having a list of the contents is to let people who are not already intimately familiar with this family of mods know exactly what is or is not included with each download before they download it.

For example:

Karibou rover system is listed as included with MKS.

Kontainers is NOT listed, but apparently IS included with MKS.

USI Life Support is mentioned on the front page here, but it is not specified if it is or is not included in the MKS download.

USI Core sounds like something I need, is it also included in MKS, or is that a separate download like the USI Life Support?

Do I need to download USI Core to run the Sounding Rockets pack?  What about USI Tools?

The Community Category Kit and Community Resource Pack sound like they are for modders, do I even need those?

If I need them, are they downloaded separately, or are they included with MKS? 

You don't need to know what's bundled with what mod because the universal rule is that if they are included with a mod, they are needed - if you desperately need to know, look around the github repo you download it from. All the ancillary mods you need to run the main mods are included in each download. USI Core is just a collection of supporting mods, the bits of it you need are included in each download.

What I can say after looking at that (I downloaded from the Constellation, not the Catalogue) is that it should be made clear in the catalogue that the last four mods do not need to be downloaded separately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

What I can say after looking at that (I downloaded from the Constellation, not the Catalogue) is that it should be made clear in the catalogue that the last four mods do not need to be downloaded separately.

What is the "Constellation"?  

Is there a simple "Everything RoverDude Makes" bundle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Smurfalot said:

What is the "Constellation"?  

Is there a simple "Everything RoverDude Makes" bundle?

Yep, there is the USI Constellation, linked in the first paragraph of the Catalogue. It contains every single USI mod, but it's currently a couple of versions behind, awaiting an update. When it does update, it usually jumps forward a few versions at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Yep, there is the USI Constellation, linked in the first paragraph of the Catalogue. It contains every single USI mod, but it's currently a couple of versions behind, awaiting an update. When it does update, it usually jumps forward a few versions at a time.

Well hell, knowing that sooner would have saved a whole lot of time and annoyance.  Thank you.

That should probably be placed down with the other downloads under the Patreon button (which I highly recommend using to support Rover's coffee addiction).

Edited by Smurfalot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

Well hell, knowing that sooner would have saved a whole lot of time and annoyance.  Thank you.

That should probably be placed down with the other downloads under the Patreon button (which I highly recommend using to support Rover's coffee addiction).

Well the constellation isn't always updated as frequently as individual mods, so it is still good to check the individual ones for updates.  I'm happier that @RoverDude focuses on his vast array of mods.  I will happily go through the extra effort when necessary to download the right pieces.

Wondering out loud, does Github allow for the community or someone authorized in the community to help maintain and update links for releases?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to actually answer the question:  (BTW: The easiest way to answer is usually to download the pack and take a look inside.)

50 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

Karibou rover system is listed as included with MKS.

Yep, It's been rolled in.

51 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

Kontainers is NOT listed, but apparently IS included with MKS.

Kontainers are part of USI-Core, see below.

38 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

USI Life Support is mentioned on the front page here, but it is not specified if it is or is not included in the MKS download.

It is not - but is fairly deeply integrated.  Most people use both together, and discussion on this forum tends to blur them together.

52 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

USI Core sounds like something I need, is it also included in MKS, or is that a separate download like the USI Life Support?

It's included, and is included in *most* of the USI mods.  It has the Kontainers, USI-tools, etc.

53 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

Do I need to download USI Core to run the Sounding Rockets pack?  What about USI Tools?

I don't believe they are needed for that pack.  If they are, they are included in the download.

54 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

The Community Category Kit and Community Resource Pack sound like they are for modders, do I even need those?

If I need them, are they downloaded separately, or are they included with MKS? 

They provide VAB/SPH categories and resource definitions, respectively, and you will need them for MKS, and many other USI and non-USI mods.  They are included in any USI download that needs them, and nearly every other mod that needs them.  (I say nearly because I'm not sure.  It's possible that's an *all*.)  Typically only modders need to download the bare package of either of those, as they include them in their mods.

2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Wondering out loud, does Github allow for the community or someone authorized in the community to help maintain and update links for releases?

Depends on how it's set up.  Typically no, but if they have the correct permissions to the repository they could - but they would essentially be a co-author at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.  Everything a mod needs comes with it.  No need ever for an extra download, except in the case of one dependency getting out of sync.

 

2.  Use KSP AVC and you will know if something is out of sync.  Easy peasy. If you don't want to use KSP AVC you abdicate all rights to complain.

3.  The catalog links are automatically pointed to the latest release.  And if the page itself is out of whack, you can do a PR if you are so inclined to fix the HTML.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RoverDude said:

@Wyzard - short answer, yes.  Stock now has some options that I had to override before, so log a github issue to remind me :)

Here you go: MKS #1346.  (I included a reference back to your post, to provide context for others reading the ticket.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm playing with sstu and non of the mks parts appear, neither is usi life support even though I installed. It just automatically deletes the mks parts and the usi life support folder. I'm sure it's caused by sstu cause it used to prevent stock parts from appearing in game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using GPP, and for some reason I can put things into planetary logistics, but I cannot pull anything out of them. I have both warehouses set to planetary warehouse, just the place where I need the ore will not accept it. The place where I want it also has a Duna logistics module. Is there a config  file I need to edit to make it work with GPP or is there something I am doing wrong in my set up? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheCiroth said:

I have been using GPP, and for some reason I can put things into planetary logistics, but I cannot pull anything out of them. I have both warehouses set to planetary warehouse, just the place where I need the ore will not accept it. The place where I want it also has a Duna logistics module. Is there a config  file I need to edit to make it work with GPP or is there something I am doing wrong in my set up? 

Pushing requires a logistics module or a Mobile Processing Unit, but to pull you need a manned logistics module (by a quartermaster or pilot).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheCiroth said:

I have been using GPP, and for some reason I can put things into planetary logistics, but I cannot pull anything out of them. I have both warehouses set to planetary warehouse, just the place where I need the ore will not accept it. The place where I want it also has a Duna logistics module. Is there a config  file I need to edit to make it work with GPP or is there something I am doing wrong in my set up? 

Do you have pilot or quartermaster in the Duna logistics module?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Smurfalot said:

USI Core sounds like something I need, is it also included in MKS, or is that a separate download like the USI Life Support?

In addition, it can be used even if you do not wish to run any other USI stuff. I use it in a GPP career save where I concentrate on exploration without worrying about base building and life support.  The nukes are very useful, and the ability to level up Kerbals in the Science Lab is awesome. Having that as a standalone download makes that easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TheCiroth said:

Ok, that makes sense then. I have an engineer in the module. I figured it something stupid I was overlooking. 

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Functions-(Logistics)

Quote

A Logistics Module is required for the craft to take part, currently either the 'Duna' Logistics Center or the 'Tundra' Pioneer - Logistics Module. Resources can be 'pushed' to planetary storage without Crew provided a Logistics module or Material Processing Unit is present, but require a 'Pilot' or 'QuarterMaster' and a Logistics module to pull resources back out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I've done some configs for MKS to work with Realism Overhaul, you can find it here: https://github.com/m4gus88/USI_RO

It's WIP, but playable already. Some mass, EC values, etc. might be out of place here and there, but I'll improve on these as I'm testing it, and I'm hoping for some external input from the community as well. I'm working on including more additions, like the Malemute rover, stuff from the Exploration Pack, FTT, etc.
RP-0 configs are also on my TODO list :)

Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Does @TheRagingIrishman still curate the Github Issues section? He hasn't been seen there since August.

All of us curate it :)

2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

I'm playing with sstu and non of the mks parts appear, neither is usi life support even though I installed. It just automatically deletes the mks parts and the usi life support folder. I'm sure it's caused by sstu cause it used to prevent stock parts from appearing in game 

That sounds.... really bad?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

I'm playing with sstu and non of the mks parts appear, neither is usi life support even though I installed. It just automatically deletes the mks parts and the usi life support folder. I'm sure it's caused by sstu cause it used to prevent stock parts from appearing in game 

Your post is unclear.  When you state it deletes folders are you talking physical folders or just hiding parts in game?  Are you installing via CKAN or manually?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

I'm playing with sstu and non of the mks parts appear, neither is usi life support even though I installed. It just automatically deletes the mks parts and the usi life support folder. I'm sure it's caused by sstu cause it used to prevent stock parts from appearing in game 

Did you install the SSTU-OptionalPatches folder from GitHub? That has several incomplete (WIP) patches in it, some of which try to replace multiple individual parts with a single SSTU style switchable part. The files with "PartRemoval" in their name are responsible for hiding the "replaced" parts. Deleting those files will restore the original parts to your game.

Edited by Aelfhe1m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

Your post is unclear.  When you state it deletes folders are you talking physical folders or just hiding parts in game?  Are you installing via CKAN or manually?

manually

Is MKS on ckan and it's just me not seeing it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

manually

Ah yes, let's just answer one piece at a time.  It's way more fun to drag things out over multiple posts...:/

Either way, it looks like in the meantime others already posted your fix in both threads, so I'll leave it as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Ah yes, let's just answer one piece at a time.  It's way more fun to drag things out over multiple posts...:/

Either way, it looks like in the meantime others already posted your fix in both threads, so I'll leave it as is.

I click open each notification in a new tab and reply so I dont need to keep scrolling up to click a next one cause my pc has issues on the trackpad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.