[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

I'm sorry if my "vague" was disrepectful. Actually I'm not that new to MKS, but have always struggled, and my first struggles probably date back from before the great efforts with the documentation/wiki, which made me take these sources with a grain of salt. I actually go as far as digging into the code (for other features), and part files, when trying to understand things.

Now I see my problem in this case: I should have trusted all the text docs instead, because they are indeed correct (sorry again for disrespecting them). What blocked me was that ModulePlanetaryLogistics is actually not visible in-game, on parts that have it. Just changing that would fix this issue for clinical people like me (if someone confirms it's just a matter of giving it a GetInfo() function, I could even do it).

What do you think about updating in the wiki, just that part:

A piloted Logistics Module is required for the craft to take part.

Into something that takes into account that pilots are no longer needed to push resources, and that "logistics module" corresponds to ModulePlanetaryLogistics (if we make it appear on the parts. Else replaced with a list of the parts that have it) ?

2 hours ago, TauPhraim said:

-snip-

What do you think about updating in the wiki, just that part:

-snip-

Into something that takes into account that pilots are no longer needed to push resources, and that "logistics module" corresponds to ModulePlanetaryLogistics (if we make it appear on the parts. Else replaced with a list of the parts that have it) ?

Yeah i agree that does need updating to confirm the new changes. I'm also working on a new set of diagrams for the different logistics functions as well that i hope to get up on the wiki/into the KSPedia entry shortly Part 1.

I've added that note about pushing without a pilot and confirmation of the two parts that currently enable PL.

I'll leave out the references to PartModules as most new players would have no idea what that was anyway so i feel that would only add further confusion.

Thanks for your suggestions, they are really helpful.

ps, if you ever wanna drop me a PM with any questions you might have i'm always happy to help, I've a couple of people i'm currently guiding through their first bases.

Edited by dboi88

I am planning to have:

1.a main base on a moon that has the ability to produce supplies and a piloted logistics module and a kontainer for supplies that has global warehousing enabled

2. a seperate mining rig on the same moon that has piloted logistics module and a kontainer for supplies with global warehousing. But no ability to produce supplies.

So the question is: Will kerbals in my mining rig be able to "pull in" the supplies they need from the main base or do I need to produce supplies for them on the spot? I know different modules can send a pull request if they need resources but I don't know if kerbals (or any module) can send a pull request for supplies...

Not a problem either way. I'll just slap a agri module on the mining rig if necessary but I would like to know in advance if I need one :)

Most of my mining is done with remote miners....Duna Logistics Module with a miner and a quartermaster, an attached Ranger mini-hab unit and an inflatable storage module for pulling supplies (and pushing mulch), plus storage for whatever I'm mining. Just have to make sure you push enough supplies into planetary logistics so the quartermaster has something to pull. 

@tseitsei89 the advice from @Parmenio is good. The most important point is there will be no direct transfer of resources. So you need to fill up your supplies tank and push into PL, then you can pull back out on the other end. So if you leave the bases for a long time make sure you always go to your supplies producing base first so that the catch up is performed. That will refill PL, THEN go to your mining rig which will pull back out. Do it the other way and there might not be enough supplies.

That goes for all multi base resource chain set ups that are outside scavenging range, start at the drills →refinerys&crushers→assembly plants&greenhouses→hab bases.

3 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

@tseitsei89 the advice from @Parmenio is good. The most important point is there will be no direct transfer of resources. So you need to fill up your supplies tank and push into PL, then you can pull back out on the other end. So if you leave the bases for a long time make sure you always go to your supplies producing base first so that the catch up is performed. That will refill PL, THEN go to your mining rig which will pull back out. Do it the other way and there might not be enough supplies.

That goes for all multi base resource chain set ups that are outside scavenging range, start at the drills →refinerys&crushers→assembly plants&greenhouses→hab bases.

So you are saying that if I have a container for supplies that  has for example 8000 units capacity and it has 3000 units of supplies in it, the mining rig cant pull any supplies out of that and the kerbals in there will just die even though 3000 units of supplies would be plenty for every kerbal on the moon? If so then that is a stupid mechanic and should be changed asap IMO...

12 minutes ago, tseitsei89 said:

So you are saying that if I have a container for supplies that  has for example 8000 units capacity and it has 3000 units of supplies in it, the mining rig cant pull any supplies out of that and the kerbals in there will just die even though 3000 units of supplies would be plenty for every kerbal on the moon? If so then that is a stupid mechanic and should be changed asap IMO...

Um....expecting a single container of supplies to automatically be available to every Kerbal on a moon is a bit much. Besides, it's easy enough to just push that 3000 into planetary logistics and do exactly that. 

What I have at my main base is a "resource tower", which is a Duna Logistics Module with one of every 11 ISM setups attached. If I need more supplies in planetary logistics, I land a ship with a couple flat tanks of supplies...use the new local logistics to push those supplies into the tower storage, which replenishes the planetary logistics. 

1 hour ago, revolioclockbergjr said:

Any reason why the Ranger sifters/extractors/power generators don't produce heat while running?

Just curious. Totally love all your mods, can't play without them.

There was some discussion on that in the thread that's vanished.  The power generator explicitly has heat vanes built-in, so we can say that covers that.  The main reason for the rest is because they haven't had in the past, and really adding heat to everything is just overkill.  All it means is that you have to spam radiators on all your ships - do you really want to do that?  It can be argued that these parts are small enough that their designed to piggyback on the normal environmental heat rejection, and don't generate enough other heat to matter.

12 minutes ago, Parmenio said:

Um....expecting a single container of supplies to automatically be available to every Kerbal on a moon is a bit much. Besides, it's easy enough to just push that 3000 into planetary logistics and do exactly that. 

What I have at my main base is a "resource tower", which is a Duna Logistics Module with one of every 11 ISM setups attached. If I need more supplies in planetary logistics, I land a ship with a couple flat tanks of supplies...use the new local logistics to push those supplies into the tower storage, which replenishes the planetary logistics. 

Yeah. What makes it pretty stupid IMO is that less storage space is actually better... Because if I have that 3000 units of supplies and only 2000 units of storage space then 1000 units are pushed in to the PL storage and are ready to be pulled out right? But if I have a bigger container (for example 2.5m kontainer is 16000 units) I have to manufacture 16000 unkts of supplies before anything can be pulled right? So you should only ever use the smallest konrainers if that is the case...

Now I already have a 2.5m kontainer for supplies in my main base (which is of course nowhere near full...) because it also works as a structural element if my mining module there and I thought having plenty of storage space would be good. So that means that I will not be able to get ANY supplies in to the PL storage in a loooong time. If I had only taken the 1.25m kontainer I could soon start pushing supplies and everything would be fine :/

On the other hand, if you don't have storage for ~6 hours of production, you'll lose some as KSP's catch-up mechanics work in six-hour bunches and if they fill the container, you'll stop producing Supplies for the rest of that batch.  (Until logistics kicks in, and (half) empties it - which is right before the *next* six-hour batch.)

So I built a base with enough kerbals to up the Assembly production to about 58000% only doing Material Kits, which is capable of draining 120k EC in seconds.

This effectively makes timewarping stop any production, since I'd have to constantly micromanage EC and capacitors from Near Future. Apart from that, the Assembler consuming all power also prevent my two refineries from doing their job.

Would the best idea be to make a massive rack of reactors to supply power, or is there a way of making sure the Assembler doesn't eat all of my power?

Sandbox, no lifesupport.

Thanks in advance.

Spoiler

878C849D7BC55513D3F2F5F7ED82C49A9FCFB8E3

5C69B4765007BB4D1EDD7BE984B37207B09B0491

21 hours ago, DStaal said:

You can of course mine Water directly, if you have it.  Hydrates is just an alternate route, in case you can't find Water.  (If you've got both available, you'll do much better to mine Water.)

That chart seems a bit unclear on the path(s) to Supplies - there are several.  You can convert Mulch+Fertilizer, or Fertilizer+Water+(Dirt/Substrate) to Supplies - Fertilizer and Water alone aren't enough, but there are several paths if you've got both of those.  Also worth noting is that you can feed Water into a Tundra Kerbitat and reduce your Supplies usage drastically.  (By 90%.)  So what you want to feed it to depends on how many Kerbals you need to support, and what resources you've got handy.

Hey as always @DStaal, thank you for the reply , I had some time to play with the new MKS today and I can see that it is flexible and it just takes some 'dinking' and figuring out what will work best.

Lots of options and ways of doing it, for the 'entry' level person on MKS is a little over whelming.

again thanks and I am going to be able to use this in a few more launches.

How do I employ Flex-o-tubes? I have one on a Ranger module and I've tried both controlling from in the module and also by using an engineer. The Rover in the background is full of Materials Kits, so I know I have enough of those. I've tried it with and without KAS/KIS installed, but regardless of which I try I never get an option to expand the tube out.

r15ne8Z.png

Just now, Tyko said:

How do I employ Flex-o-tubes? I have one on a Ranger module and I've tried both controlling from in the module and also by using an engineer. The Rover in the background is full of Materials Kits, so I know I have enough of those. I've tried it with and without KAS/KIS installed, but regardless of which I try I never get an option to expand the tube out.

r15ne8Z.png

They are like KAS pipes, you don't expand them you link them.

I am not sure this is glitches or intentional.

I am playing in career hard mode with MKS and I am able to mine ExoticMinerals on kerbin and recover it to sell it. Each unit wroth 160 and a 5m Kontainer wroth more than 10M. With support by planetary logistics and a remote mining base, I can even just launch a empty Kontainer with logistics module and recover it instantly.

It sound like we should not able to mine on kerbin (may be the land is not own by space program?). It should be ok on other body since the transport effort and cost is not cheap

A similar case is each unit of ResourceLode cost 250, than a small one worth 1.25M and a big one worth 125M, although it take effort to take back to kerbin, but this is way too much.

18 minutes ago, ykw said:

I am playing in career hard mode with MKS and I am able to mine ExoticMinerals on kerbin and recover it to sell it. Each unit wroth 160 and a 5m Kontainer wroth more than 10M. With support by planetary logistics and a remote mining base, I can even just launch a empty Kontainer with logistics module and recover it instantly.

It sound like we should not able to mine on kerbin (may be the land is not own by space program?). It should be ok on other body since the transport effort and cost is not cheap

A similar case is each unit of ResourceLode cost 250, than a small one worth 1.25M and a big one worth 125M, although it take effort to take back to kerbin, but this is way too much.

Mining on kerbin has always been a thing for testing.  I would imagine this falls under "if you want to exploit it in your single player game go for it but don't expect it to be patched out for those who lack self control" topic.

Edited by goldenpsp

1 hour ago, ykw said:

I am playing in career hard mode with MKS and I am able to mine ExoticMinerals on kerbin and recover it to sell it. Each unit wroth 160 and a 5m Kontainer wroth more than 10M.

I was wondering about that too — I have concentrations of both RareMetals and ExoticMinerals in the grassland just to the west of the KSC flats.  Apparently they're not especially rare or exotic.  :wink: