Red Nova 2022, reserve your seats now!

Xorth Tanovar

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/01/2022-red-nova

"In 2022, there will be a spectacular sky show. Two stars will merge into one, pushing out excess gas into an explosion known as a red nova. At magnitude 2, it will be as bright as Polaris in the sky, and just behind Sirius and Vega in brightness. The collision in the constellation of Cygnus will be visible for up to six months."

So who else is looking forward to seeing this?

Edited by Xorth Tanovar

You mean that where there used to be a small dot that was too faint to notice, now there will be a bigger and brighter dot, but still smaller and less bright than several of the other dots that use to be there all the time?

It's exciting because we know what that dot represents and implies, but I doubt I would have noticed it at all if I hadn't been told about it. I don't watch the sky regularly enough to know which dots use to be bright or not, or where they are, unless they are part of a well-known constellation.

6 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Knowing my luck and weather in Poland? There will be clouds all over the sky during the event.

I hear you on that. I may invest in a SLOOH membership and steer one of their scopes to see it.

But if luck is with me, I'll pull out my 4.5" reflector and see what I can see locally...at that magnitude it would certainly show up. And if any substantial gas clouds form from it, could be pretty neat.

Edited by Xorth Tanovar

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

I hope it's a really deep red, otherwise I won't know which dot I'm supposed to be excited about; I'm not familiar with Cygnus.

If it helps it also goes by the name Northern Cross. It's a fairly large constellation so it's not hard to spot.

1 hour ago, Exploro said:

If it helps it also goes by the name Northern Cross. It's a fairly large constellation so it's not hard to spot.

I know where it is, it's just I hardly ever actually look at that part of the sky so I don't know it as well as I do the area around Orion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.