SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I understand they like to keep their cards close to the vest, but it’d be nice to know what issue(s) they’re working. 

This. Are they flushing out gremlins at this point or chasing real problems. The delays seem to be getting longer, which is more than a little... disconcerting. :o

Interesting article Here (courtesy of my lovely wife) that actually answers some of my own questions, if speculatively. I never considered the thermal expansion/contraction of a thing that size, they estimate a 45-meter F9 core could change in size by several inches when fully fueled, due to thermal... stuff.  :0.0: Now stick three of them together, each just a little different, with really strong struts. Yeah... kinda makes sense why even fueling the beast is a learning experiment. 

But still, a pox upon my own reason and logic!

ngvZTK.gif

It would also be nice if they delayed it further out, like in 2/3 weeks, so the crew has time to fix that thing and the fanboys don't have to be disappointed all day long.

Oh and if say the static fire comes earlier than expected, the fanboys will be extra happy, right you guys?

Edited by NSEP

Test stand incident was a procedural issue in testing, nothing to do with the Merlin. Can't detail Zuma failure because of classification, but nothing failed on their end.

F9 can make orbit with 2 engine outs.

That's under oath, as well.

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

Well, whatever happened to Zuma is its own fault then. 

Also, somehow I thought that Crew Dragon would fly with 7 astronauts...

it has seating for 7, think spare space will be used for cargo. 
Wonder if it will still have seating in some for for 7? thinking of an evacuation situation, yes you could probably go without seats just try to find some padding if critical. 

2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Also, somehow I thought that Crew Dragon would fly with 7 astronauts...

Dragon V2 can fly with 7 Astronauts. But when you send 7 Astronauts to the ISS, and combine that with the non-US crew you got a pretty full station. I don't know if the Dragon has bunk beds or sleeping bags like the shuttle has. Heck, i don't know of the full crew-capacity version even has a toilet.

8 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Dragon V2 can fly with 7 Astronauts. But when you send 7 Astronauts to the ISS, and combine that with the non-US crew you got a pretty full station. I don't know if the Dragon has bunk beds or sleeping bags like the shuttle has. Heck, i don't know of the full crew-capacity version even has a toilet.

That’s why they wear space diapers. <_<

Bigelow wants to put a BA-330 on the station for testing, so throw some berth space in and use that to up the capacity. Assuming the life support can handle it, of course. Sort of a chicken-or-egg thing, no sense having a higher crew capacity if they can’t fit in the ferry, no sense making room in the ferry if there’s no berths on the station....

All US crew launches to ISS will have one cosmonaut aboard, and all Soyuz crew launches to station will have one NASA Astronaut aboard. This is because ISS has Russian systems that cosmonauts always operate, and it has NASA systems that only NASA personnel operate.

The station could operate with 7 people, it might in fact be the ideal number due to how much time is wasted on other activities.