SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Speaking of Rover racing...

The moon has a day of (28x24)= 672 hours and an equatorial circumference of 6786 miles.

A Solar powered rover that can average at least 10 miles per hour doesnt need to stop, ever. Nor does it need to worry about surviving the extremes of lunar night (compared to lunar day)

25 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

The moon has a day of (28x24)= 672 hours and an equatorial circumference of 6786 miles.

A Solar powered rover that can average at least 10 miles per hour doesnt need to stop, ever. Nor does it need to worry about surviving the extremes of lunar night (compared to lunar day)

You'd also need to worry about data relaying, you'd need satellites behind the Moon relative to Earth, but yes, that is interesting.

4 hours ago, Xd the great said:

And also worry about bumpy terrain, craters, munar lunar dust and cosmic radiation.

But that's nothing new for space rovers.

5 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

I question whether a rover that can't stay in one place is actually very useful. You wouldn't have much time to stop and carefully analyze interesting features.

If your rover could go significantly faster, it would get rid of a lot of problems.  Moon rotates relatively slowly, so you could spend 24 hours inspecting, then 12 hours catching back up if you can go 30 mph. 

Edited by ment18
Math Error

4 hours ago, ment18 said:

If your rover could go significantly faster, it would get rid of a lot of problems.  Moon rotates relatively slowly, so you could spend 24 hours inspecting, then 12 hours catching back up if you can go 30 mph. 

And also, you could catch mad air vacuum if you take it off any sweet jumps. -_-

5 hours ago, ment18 said:

36 Km/h off-road work well, 100 will be very hard. You will anyway need an  huge rover even for 36 km/h as the easiest way to make it ride smoother. 
Another problem is the solar panels for this, it need to be large as this will be an pretty power consuming way to travel and bumpy who the panels has to handle. 
An fun challenge but simply bracing the night will be way simpler. 

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Bouncy Castle version 0.25... <_<

Catching Dragons on a giant inflatable tow-tube...

Catching fairings in a giant net...

Booster goes up, hangs, booster comes down...

Mayhap SpaceX is merely a front for a secret society bent on designing carnival thrill rides for rockets... -_-

Maybe elon wants to strap himself on these bouncy rides.

12 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

The new access arm looks gorgeous, but it also seems a little out of place attached to the industrial monstrosity of the launch tower!

The FSS it is attached to is supposed to be entirely clad when SpaceX is done.

falconheavyr.jpg

On 8/18/2018 at 5:09 PM, cubinator said:

But that's nothing new for space rovers.

Yes, but those things are significant reasons why current space rovers drive 10 miles per year instead of hour. Average or even top speed of 10 mph is totally unrealistic with current technology.

How do you guys think people will move around BFS? It looks spacious so I would guess some sort of temprorary nets would have to be there just so people don't get stuck in the middle of the big room (I guess you could call it a room, right?). Either that or some sort of personal device to move around, like a hand-held fan or a CO2 thruster. I'm guessing since there will be CO2 scrubbers/filters then it won't be dangerous to use something like that. But then collecting CO2 for refilling would probably be more complicated than just charging batteries of a "fan gun".

Edited by Wjolcz

4 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

How do you guys think people will get around BFS? It looks spacious so I would guess some sort of temprorary nets would have to be there just so people don't get stuck in the middle of the big room (I guess you could call it a room, right?). Either that or some sort of personal device to move around, like a hand-held fan or a CO2 thruster. I'm guessing since there will be CO2 scrubbers/filters then it won't be dangerous to use something like that. But then collecting CO2 for refilling would probably be more complicated than just charging batteries of a "fan gun".

Simplest way to solve a too large open room would be to add a few ropes. it would still be an open room but you could not be stuck in the middle. 

1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

How do you guys think people will move around BFS?

Spoiler

superman_by_ittamar12.jpg

"S" for B.F. S

Maybe they are going to separate the hollow with grids into storeys?

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhrYhL9IxPSHjW8BU-7l6

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Simplest way to solve a too large open room would be to add a few ropes

Spoiler

Grow Martian lianes.

lianes.jpgLivingstoneSupongo.gif

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

How do you guys think people will move around BFS? It looks spacious so I would guess some sort of temprorary nets would have to be there just so people don't get stuck in the middle of the big room (I guess you could call it a room, right?). Either that or some sort of personal device to move around, like a hand-held fan or a CO2 thruster. I'm guessing since there will be CO2 scrubbers/filters then it won't be dangerous to use something like that. But then collecting CO2 for refilling would probably be more complicated than just charging batteries of a "fan gun".

Easiest way would be to hang some bungees wherever necessary- just have hooks aplenty on the walls to start with.