SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, Xd the great said:

If spaceX is going full on with the bfr, why are they still trying to recover fairings from the f9?

Because its going to be at least 10 years before BFR reaches a semi-reasonable launch rate, and until then, making the F9 even cheaper than it already is just good business sense. 

2 hours ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Because its going to be at least 10 years before BFR reaches a semi-reasonable launch rate, and until then, making the F9 even cheaper than it already is just good business sense. 

SpaceX has 5.5 years left to launch 2,213 Starlink satellites to meet their licensing requirements from the FCC.

That's several hundred F9 launches.(depending on packing, how many can be delivered in a single plane, etc).

If they need 600 launches, and they start next year, they need 10 F9 launches a month. If they can pack in 40, then 5 a month. This is a powerful incentive to get BFR flying ASAP.

Edited by tater

4 hours ago, Xd the great said:

If spaceX is going full on with the bfr, why are they still trying to recover fairings from the f9?

Because it's research that can be done for pocket change, relative to everything else they're doing, that can significantly reduce their cost for each launch they are being paid for.

5 hours ago, tater said:

SpaceX has 5.5 years left to launch 2,213 Starlink satellites to meet their licensing requirements from the FCC.

Maybe they can renegotiate this license for a couple more years if it turns out to be impossible to launch this many satellites in time.

On 9/27/2018 at 4:14 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

I imagine that suit will just quietly go away after a few weeks. 

Well the suit has gone away, but I'm not sure I would call it "quietly". Musk agreed to pay $20M and resign as Chairman of Tesla.

I suppose that means he can focus more on SpaceX.

Edited by mikegarrison

34 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Well the suit has gone away, but I'm not sure I would call it "quietly". Musk agreed to pay $20M and resign as Chairman of Tesla.

I suppose that means he can focus more on SpaceX.

nope, hes still ceo, just not board chairman for 3 years

@mikegarrison @ment18

The SEC nailed Musk for $20 million AND Tesla for $20 million. Double whammy.

He's also to step down for at least 3 years ... it could end up being longer depending on his behavior and the business practices of Tesla itself.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/29/sec-settles-charges-with-teslas-elon-musk-will-remain-as-ceo.html

The stuff that plays well with SpaceX, like slick videos showing a network of point-to-point suborbital flights, doesn't play as well in public companies where investors (or the government) can sue you for making false claims.

Edited by mikegarrison

6 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

The stuff that plays well with SpaceX, like slick videos showing a network of point-to-point suborbital flights, doesn't play as well in public companies where investors (or the government) can sue you for making false claims.

I'm pretty sure tampering with stock price by making claims about changes in company status (taking Tesla private) is an entirely different level than PR footage.

3 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

I'm pretty sure tampering with stock price by making claims about changes in company status (taking Tesla private) is an entirely different level than PR footage.

I wont be surprised if someone told him he got the funding and pulled it back after the tweet.

He made a lot of enemies in aerospace industry.

Either way, the way they worded it was kind of like he knew there were more barriers to securing the funding than a simple shareholder vote. Several other things had to go right too and they weren’t a sure thing. That’s why they said they went after him

Edited by Ricktoberfest

17 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

SpaceX isn't public, Tesla is.  Two entirely different legal requirements.

On 9/29/2018 at 10:48 AM, tater said:

That's several hundred F9 launches.(depending on packing, how many can be delivered in a single plane, etc).

If they need 600 launches, and they start next year, they need 10 F9 launches a month. If they can pack in 40, then 5 a month. This is a powerful incentive to get BFR flying ASAP.

A lot depends on just how confidant they are with Falcon Heavy.  Somebody on stackexchange did a quick calculation and claimed that 20 fit on Falcon 9 (fully expendable), while 64 fit on Falcon Heavy (presumably non-expendable, I'm pretty sure Falcon Heavy LEO mass is limited by what the Falcon structure can physically support).  But 64 birds are a lot to risk on a rocket that you are less than confident in (they have sold a single flight and don't appear to be pushing any more).

12 minutes ago, wumpus said:

SpaceX isn't public, Tesla is.  Two entirely different legal requirements.

A lot depends on just how confidant they are with Falcon Heavy.  Somebody on stackexchange did a quick calculation and claimed that 20 fit on Falcon 9 (fully expendable), while 64 fit on Falcon Heavy (presumably non-expendable, I'm pretty sure Falcon Heavy LEO mass is limited by what the Falcon structure can physically support).  But 64 birds are a lot to risk on a rocket that you are less than confident in (they have sold a single flight and don't appear to be pushing any more).

I believe they are volume limited, not mass limited. F9 and FH have the same fairing.