SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

Ok. But will it do unpressurized cargo on crewed missions? Interesting how it will behave during an abort.

Just a guess, but they might have a quick release lock or something set up in case an emergency does happen, so that the dragon is more or less the same every time it has an abort scenario.

2 minutes ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

Is the Dragon 2 connected to the Canadarm on this picture, or what? Using the Canadarm would technically mean it berthed instead of docking.

Hide contents

D0utuzEVYAAtoJT.jpg

I think that's a piece of equipment that happened to be in the frame at the wrong time, and Dragon is far behind it.

2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Is it for the Crew version or just the Cargo version of Dragon 2?

2 hours ago, Nightside said:

SpaceX seems to have removed Dragon 1 from the website. 

I didn't even know this was still on the table- literally the only thing I'd ever heard about it was that it wasn't going to have SuperDraco thrusters but would otherwise be pretty much the same. Does anyone have any idea when we might see THAT launch?

16 hours ago, Kerbal7 said:

What was so amazing about it? :huh:

We've been launching rockets and docking spacecraft for over 50 years.

We've been driving cars for a whole lot longer than that but that doesn't stop enthusiasts from getting excited about new sportscar models. We've been flying jet fighters for longer than we've been flying spacecraft and there's no shortage of military aviation enthusiasts either - many of whom won't have been near a cockpit of any kind in their lives.

Over those 50 years you mention, I can only think of a handful of other crewed, orbit-capable spacecraft that have been flown. By spacecraft, I mean a vehicle capable of taking crew from Earth to space orbit and back, so  I'm not counting sub-orbital craft such as SpaceShipOne or X15, or space stations. That handful of craft is:

Vostok, Voskhod, Soyuz, Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, STS,  Shenzhou.

That's it I think. Eight models of spacecraft in 50 years. (If you don't mind, I'll ignore any nitpicking about how similar Voskhod was or wasn't to Vostok, or how similar Shenzhou allegedly was to Soyuz). The most recently developed one (Shenzhou) first flew with crew aboard in 2003. So, if you ask me, it's hardly surprising that folks are getting excited about a new crewed spacecraft, when the last and most recent one was developed over 15 years ago. Especially when that new spacecraft looks quite so modern and is a definite break (stylistically and technologically) from the 'a button for everything' tradition of crewed spacecraft.

Also, just because something is a solved problem (which autonomous docking clearly is), that doesn't make it an easy or a routine problem to solve. As illustrated by the concerns over Dragon's computer systems and safety measures. 

Edited by KSK

9 minutes ago, tater said:

39A is already being reconfigured for the next flight from there, FH.

Ahh - I was thinking it was about time for my annual squeeee.

:) 

4 minutes ago, tater said:

Actually, it might be 2X FH in a row, with CRS-17 and maybe another in between from SLC-40.

Ah well. If the strain of excess squeeeing proves too much, I'll go out with a smile. 

3 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

I didn't even know this was still on the table- literally the only thing I'd ever heard about it was that it wasn't going to have SuperDraco thrusters but would otherwise be pretty much the same. Does anyone have any idea when we might see THAT launch?

My understanding is that Dragon 1 will be discontinued after Dragon 2 starts flying. 

Dragon 2s will be used as Crew vehicles once, then recycled as Cargo vehicles thereafter. Probably not more than a couple of times.

8 hours ago, KSK said:

That handful of craft is:

Vostok, Voskhod, Soyuz, Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, STS,  Shenzhou.

You forgot TKS, which never flew with a crew in its intended role, but was tested uncrewed enough times that we can be pretty confident that it would have worked, and was the base for several Mir and ISS modules.

16 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

You forgot TKS, which never flew with a crew in its intended role, but was tested uncrewed enough times that we can be pretty confident that it would have worked, and was the base for several Mir and ISS modules.

By that logic should Buran count?

4 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Not sure, did Bran have a docking port?

Not sure why that's relevant, Vostok, Voskhod, and Mercury didn't have docking ports and they are included in the count. I'm pretty sure Buran either had a docking port or was planned to.

10 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I'm pretty sure Buran either had a docking port or was planned to.

From the Wikipedia page for the Buran programme*:

December 1991 — Orbiter K2 Ptichka unmanned second flight, with a duration of 7–8 days. Orbital maneuvers and space station approach test:

• automatic docking with Mir's Kristall module
  • crew transfer from Mir to the shuttle, with testing of some of its systems in the course of twenty-four hours, including the remote manipulator
  • undocking and autonomous flight in orbit
  • docking of the manned Soyuz-TM 101 with the shuttle
  • crew transfer from the Soyuz to the shuttle and onboard work in the course of twenty-four hours
  • automatic undocking and landing

The Buran SO, a docking module that was to be used for rendezvous with the Mir space station, was refitted for use with the U.S. Space Shuttles during the Shuttle–Mir missions.[37]

The exciting part is, in terms of being able to choose between automatic and crewed flight, the Dragon is probably the most advanced spacecraft since the Buran. Soyuz proved that versatility is everything, so Dragon might become America's reusable Progress.

*Ooh, British English! Classy.

2 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Not sure, did Bran have a docking port?

It was detachable, and the one stored in Zagorsk may lack the actual docking ring, but here it is:

niihim01.jpg

Kristall was equipped with a matching APAS on one end, which allowed the modified Shuttle to dock during earlier missions. That said, the only Soyuz that docked to Kristall was TMA-16, which was one of the three specialized rescue ships ordered:

apas89-3.jpg

There were plans for one-two Soyuz missions to unmanned Burans, too.

Interesting - I didn’t know about TKS. Thanks for bringing that one up! And my apologies for missing out Buran - that one I did know about.

I don’t think it makes a great deal of difference to my argument whether or not you count ‘flight tested but never with crew’ crewed spacecraft but that test should have at least been a flight to orbit.

Edited by KSK

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Kristall was equipped with a matching APAS on one end, which allowed the modified Shuttle to dock during earlier missions. That said, the only Soyuz that docked to Kristall was TMA-16, which was one of the three specialized rescue ships ordered:

apas89-3.jpg

There were plans for one-two Soyuz missions to unmanned Burans, too.

*correction, Soyuz TM-16

Soyuz with an APAS docking system looks weird though. Never thought of it.

3 hours ago, tater said:

Dragon will count once crew has flown on it. Anything without crew flown on it? Doesn't count as a crew vehicle.

Still, the fact that it, baring any unforeseen disasters, will count is worth getting excited over. It's literally two flights away from entering the exclusive club. I mean, so was probably Buran, but people got pretty excited for that one too.