SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

12 hours ago, AHHans said:

That's a thrash metal band? :D

Nah - Elastic Failure are prog rock. They probably have a theramin player who can also knock out a kicking kazoo solo if the mood takes her.

Now CatastrophicFailure on the other hand or, more probably  CataströphicFailure? That's your thrash metal band right there.

While B7 is having its fuel lines connected on the can crusher to prepare for the Raptor thrust simulation, the crane has been disconnected from it and is moving towards the Suborbital Pad B - possibly to lift S20 on it for unknown tests

12 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Nah, definitely classic rock. 
“I… want to rock & roll all night… but I can’t stay awake… I… have to get to bed by 9… rub on a tube of Ben-Gay…”

:unsure:

For those about to sleep. We salute you.

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

What is the 'ribbed' section or 'pipes' that we see starting at 0:24?

It’s for her pleasure.

I’ll see myself out.

In all seriousness, what are we looking at, exactly? Is this door going to slide open or fold open? And if it’s going to carry Starlinks, does that mean it will actually do a true orbital insertion rather than the quasi-orbital once-around? Or is the door just there to test deployment without actually deploying anything?

And what is actually going to happen to B4/S20? Are they going to be just summarily scrapped? Will they use B4 for arm catching tests? Will they use S20 for P2P hop testing?

36 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

It’s for her pleasure.

I’ll see myself out.

In all seriousness, what are we looking at, exactly? Is this door going to slide open or fold open? And if it’s going to carry Starlinks, does that mean it will actually do a true orbital insertion rather than the quasi-orbital once-around? Or is the door just there to test deployment without actually deploying anything?

And what is actually going to happen to B4/S20? Are they going to be just summarily scrapped? Will they use B4 for arm catching tests? Will they use S20 for P2P hop testing?

To sum up what we've seen until now for Starship payload bay:

-This section, now installed in Ship 24 (currently slated to be the first to orbit), has a small, starlink sized door; it contains inside the deployment mechanism shown below

Starbase-030722-NASASpaceflight-bocachicagal-S24-nose-rings-Starlink-deployer-3-crop-c.jpg
Starbase-032422-NASASpaceflight-bocachic
To understand it better, this is a possible way the deployment could work:

What we don't know is the plan with it. I give it a very high chance that for the first flight it will remain the same as the initial plan, with either no deployment or deploying a pathfinder article that will reenter with Starship near Hawaii, as the way this initial payload bay is built makes loading anything more than a single satellite quite slow and troublesome.

Another thing to note is that this deployment mechanism is being done because, in order, the payloads on it will be:
- Nothing/mass simulators for the very first test flights
- Starlink satellites during more test flights (mainly reentry tests)
- Falcon 9 payloads transfered to Starship, which will come when the vehicle is reliable enough for them (more reentry tests, beginning of commercial activities)
- Tankers
- One day, hopefully, payloads sized for the volume of the Starship fairing apart from LCH4 and LOX

There's some initial work done towards point 3 as well: in fact, some time ago spacex worked on this other payload bay, much bigger and hinged on the bottom:
Elon Musk on Twitter: "@NASASpaceflight @BocaChicaGal More of a pathfinder  test. Actual payload bay door dimensions are still under debate. Volume is  ~1000 cubic meters. Roomy …" / Twitter

59 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Oh, and about this:

- B4 has completed its testing cycle, with partial booster cryo (B7 has since improved on this and completed a full booster cryo on Monday) and a partial full stack cryo as its final test. Scrapyard now

-S20 is more unclear. It has completed all the necessary tests for an orbital ship, including full cryos and a 6 engine static fire; but it has now been moved to the suborbital pad B. It's unclear if there's more in its future

12 minutes ago, Beccab said:

-S20 is more unclear. It has completed all the necessary tests for an orbital ship, including full cryos and a 6 engine static fire; but it has now been moved to the suborbital pad B. It's unclear if there's more in its future

20 has the Raptor 1s, correct?  They should sell those to ULA for dinking around with to kill time while they wait...

12 minutes ago, darthgently said:

20 has the Raptor 1s, correct?  They should sell those to ULA for dinking around with to kill time while they wait...

Yep, but they're all mounted and repeatedly static fired so they may as well still use it