How many projects are they working on?

New Shepard,

New Glenn,

General Engine Development for internal vehicles (and Vulcan),

Orbital Reef,

Blue Moon,

Integrated Lander Vehicle,

Blue Alchemist,

Crew Capsule (?) I doubt they want to rely long-term on other crewed vehicles with lower cadences/tied up with other contracts, and they could be loosely drawing experience from the NS capsule like with the BE-3 engine,

New Armstrong (?) Wouldn't surprise me honestly,

They're pretty much setting themselves up to quickly bootstrap a cislunar economy like ULA has talked about. 10k employees doesn't sound too crazy in that light, but the longer it takes New Glenn to become operational, the more likely it'll be a bottleneck to their projects.

Edited by Spaceception
Rewording

13 hours ago, darthgently said:

Much like KSP career, one mustn't mistake contract advances for income and simply get a lot of contracts.  Contracts can expire and the real success is in contract completion :)

And unlike KSP, there is competition.

On 5/6/2023 at 2:36 AM, Spaceception said:

How many projects are they working on?

New Shepard,

New Glenn,

General Engine Development for internal vehicles (and Vulcan),

Orbital Reef,

Blue Moon,

Integrated Lander Vehicle,

Blue Alchemist,

Crew Capsule (?) I doubt they want to rely long-term on other crewed vehicles with lower cadences/tied up with other contracts, and they could be loosely drawing experience from the NS capsule like with the BE-3 engine,

New Armstrong (?) Wouldn't surprise me honestly,

They're pretty much setting themselves up to quickly bootstrap a cislunar economy like ULA has talked about. 10k employees doesn't sound too crazy in that light, but the longer it takes New Glenn to become operational, the more likely it'll be a bottleneck to their projects.

There's also Clipper, Project JARVIS, their Next Generation Space Transportation System (Which I would assume is or is closely related to New Armstrong), and a few other things.

17 hours ago, darthgently said:

Optimistic timelines given the dearth of evidence of progress to date.  Would be great for it all to come together

Not sure what you mean, this is a station so most of the development is not going to be highly visible like say, Starship, & they did say they completed SRR in April last year - https://www.orbitalreef.com/news/srr-milestone

Edited by Barzon

20 hours ago, Barzon said:

and speaking of a Blue capsule, confirmation from SOMD that Blue are in fact still working on a crew vehicle

image.png

also Orbital Reef PDR is scheduled for FY2024
image.png

There is also gonna be a new spacex space station.

17 minutes ago, Pat20999 said:

There is also gonna be a new spacex space station.

What you're thinking of is the Vast station, which is not being built by SpaceX, although SpaceX do have fairly significant involvement in it.

Nonetheless, this is the Blue Origin thread, not the SpaceX or Vast threads.

3 hours ago, Barzon said:

Not sure what you mean, this is a station so most of the development is not going to be highly visible like say, Starship, & they did say they completed SRR in April last year - https://www.orbitalreef.com/news/srr-milestone

What I mean is physical construction and testing and delivery.  Actual measurable progress.  All kinds of progress could be, and was,  claimed about the BE-4 engines for example, but actual delivery of reliable engines, was a far better and inherently transparent measure of progress than design meetings and reviews

1 hour ago, Barzon said:

What you're thinking of is the Vast station, which is not being built by SpaceX, although SpaceX do have fairly significant involvement in it.

Nonetheless, this is the Blue Origin thread, not the SpaceX or Vast threads.

I know, sorry.

2 hours ago, darthgently said:

What I mean is physical construction and testing and delivery.  Actual measurable progress.  All kinds of progress could be, and was,  claimed about the BE-4 engines for example, but actual delivery of reliable engines, was a far better and inherently transparent measure of progress than design meetings and reviews

You don't start building something before you finish designing it. not in this development style.

Edited by Barzon

1 hour ago, Barzon said:

You don't start building something before you finish designing it. not in this development style.

Toh-may-toh, toh-mah-toh.  Both measures are important.  But delivered hardware walks the talk.  Nothing really to argue about from my view

Edited by darthgently

14 minutes ago, tater said:

Interesting. Toroidal tanks with a pass through for crew?

No pass through.

More detail on the lander:

Height: 16m

Diameter: <6.2m

Dry Mass: 16t

Wet Mass: 45t>

4 crew capable, anywhere on the Moon, day or night.

Cargo config can do 20t reused, 30t expendable.

Basic CONOPS are that it launches to LEO, flies itself to NRHO, then the cislunar transporter is launched to LEO on New Glenn and refuelled, and flies to NRHO to refuel Blue Moon. It can stay in NRHO as needed, or return to Earth orbit.

Edited by Barzon

Vast improvement on their previous effort. Crew cabin at the bottom, no disposable crasher stages, vastly cheaper, and enables refuelable hydrolox architectures.

SLS/Orion with two refuelable architectures in play:

440px-Status_iucn3.1_CR.svg.png

Edited by RCgothic

2 hours ago, RCgothic said:

Vast improvement on their previous effort. Crew cabin at the bottom, no disposable crasher stages, vastly cheaper, and enables refuelable hydrolox architectures.

SLS/Orion with two refuelable architectures in play:

440px-Status_iucn3.1_CR.svg.png

Yeah, now if either human landing system of record succeeds, SLS/Orion is a dead man walking.

Any lunar lander that can fly itself from LEO to the lunar surface, AND can also be refilled, can fly back to LEO. That means All we need is commercial crew, plus lander.