MOARdV

[WIP] [1.7.x] MOARdV's Avionics Systems - MAS Interactive IVA! (v1.0.1, 27 July 2019)

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, nightstalker101s said:

I have finally figured out how to build an IVA. I'm looking now into RPM and Avionic Systems to use them, but I'm confused (maybe not).

There's no drag-and-drop involved.  The prop configuration files in the ASET directory are all for RasterPropMonitor.  The prop config files for MAS reside under MOARdV/MAS_ASET, but you must have the ASET props installed correctly for the MAS props to appear.  You do not want to move any of those files, nor do you want to overwrite any of them.

Once you have Unity and PartTools configured, you will see the many, many RPM props near the top of the props list, and the MAS props farther towards the bottom of the list.  The MAS props are all prefixed by "MAS_".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

There's no drag-and-drop involved.  The prop configuration files in the ASET directory are all for RasterPropMonitor.  The prop config files for MAS reside under MOARdV/MAS_ASET, but you must have the ASET props installed correctly for the MAS props to appear.  You do not want to move any of those files, nor do you want to overwrite any of them.

Once you have Unity and PartTools configured, you will see the many, many RPM props near the top of the props list, and the MAS props farther towards the bottom of the list.  The MAS props are all prefixed by "MAS_".

Sorry, that isn't what I was confused about and I realize I wasn't being clear. Here is where I am at with the IVA. I have dragged and dropped the props where I would like them and used the part tool to create a .cfg for the internal. Are the props already coded to function correctly which means I can load up the IVA and roll out; or do I need to do scripting to make them functional in the game?

Edited by nightstalker101s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, nightstalker101s said:

Sorry, that isn't what I was confused about and I realize I wasn't being clear. Here is where I am at with the IVA. I have dragged and dropped the props where I would like them and used the part tool to create a .cfg for the internal. Are the props already coded to function correctly which means I can load up the IVA and roll out; or do I need to do scripting to make them functional in the game?

They are ready to go as-is.  If you added a switch that's configured to stage the vessel, it will stage the vessel.  The only time you would need to edit config files or do any sort of scripting is if you want to create new props (a custom MFD or whatever).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seriously thought it would be so much harder than this... I almost want to you to lie to me and tell me it is super challenging to make me feel better. I've wanted to make an IVA for the past 3-4 years, but didn't understand the documentation (it wasn't for me XD). Thank you again for your help!

Edit: Are the ASET props already integrated with MAS or will I need RPM still?

Edited by nightstalker101s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nightstalker101s said:

I seriously thought it would be so much harder than this... I almost want to you to lie to me and tell me it is super challenging to make me feel better. I've wanted to make an IVA for the past 3-4 years, but didn't understand the documentation (it wasn't for me XD). Thank you again for your help!

Edit: Are the ASET props already integrated with MAS or will I need RPM still?

The hardest part I've found is getting Unity and PartTools playing nice together, and then finding the props (ASET props has hundreds, and there are MAS versions of at least 100 of them).  Once you're past setup, it's fairly straight-forward to populate an IVA.  It may take a while because there are a lot of props to choose from, and a good IVA design needs to follow some form of organization (but that's more of a usability / user experience thing, not part of the basic "making an IVA" thing).

If you are using only MAS props in an IVA, you do not need RPM (unless you have other IVAs that use RPM).  You still need ASET installed for the models and textures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MAS v0.13.0 is now live on GitHub.  This includes updated shaders for Unity 2017.1.3 along with a couple of little fixes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IceTitan said:

Can I use JSI and MAS at the same time or will they conflict?

You may use them at the same time.  I know alexustas has both installed for some of the IVA development he's been doing, and I used both during the early stages of MAS development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[ERR 23:51:26.553] [MASFlightComputer] MASFlightComputer.FixedUpdate exception: System.ArgumentException: Unexpected variable type Unknown for variable (realchute.Available)() in mutableVariablesList
  at AvionicsSystems.MASFlightComputer.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

 

was this the error for the parachute thing you are talking about. 

i looked thru all the iva config and props and cant find realchute anywhere everything seems to be change to parachute but still get this error.

 

got it working by using everything from version 13 except for the avionics.dll and used the version 12 of it and everything seems to work fine. 

 

can you map any of the activation of any iva objects to keys or ascii codes etc? 

Edited by COL.R.Neville

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, COL.R.Neville said:

was this the error for the parachute thing you are talking about. 

Yes, it looks like that slipped through my update.  Finding where that was defined and changing 'realchute' to 'parachute' will fix it temporarily - it's going to be updated again, though, in v14.0.

7 hours ago, COL.R.Neville said:

can you map any of the activation of any iva objects to keys or ascii codes etc? 

No, MAS does not look at keyboard inputs.  Considering there are typically a few hundred props in a fully-populated IVA, the keymapping would be a serious challenge to implement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah i did a search for chute and didnt find any instances of realchute in any of the configs. looks like it maybe inside that fixedupdate function. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 9:59 AM, COL.R.Neville said:

yeah i did a search for chute and didnt find any instances of realchute in any of the configs.

As it turns out, it was in a number of prop configs under MOARdV/MAS_ASET.  I fixed them in my live installation, but not in GitHub.  They have been corrected on GitHub, and the fixes will be in the next release, once I can stop adding features and fixing bugs long enough to kick it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MOARdV I'm investigating IVA props for my Flying Saucers IVAs, and I definitely want to use MAS instead of RPM. Given the nature of the flying saucers, would I'd like to do is something like this:

49b1b6bd38283c6b39e33edc995bb5b3.jpg

I imagine multifunction displays with control sets and readouts. Say, one touchscreen has resource readouts, another has the digital 8-ball, another has action group buttons, and so on. Is something like that possible with MAS? I could imagine some kind of panel with props on it to simulate the touchscreen, and then some kind of controls to switch between the panels. I'm not sure that's doable with MAS as I've not made props that interface with the game controls before...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I imagine multifunction displays with control sets and readouts. Say, one touchscreen has resource readouts, another has the digital 8-ball, another has action group buttons, and so on. Is something like that possible with MAS? I could imagine some kind of panel with props on it to simulate the touchscreen, and then some kind of controls to switch between the panels. I'm not sure that's doable with MAS as I've not made props that interface with the game controls before...

Provided each MFD was a separate prop, yes, you can have multiple panels set to arbitrary pages.  Controls for the MFDs ideally are part of the MFD's prop (meaning the controls that change pages or otherwise do something specific to an MFD).  If there are colliders set over the MFD screens, you can even emulate touch screen behavior.  The touch screen capability would be pretty flexible, since (unlike RPM) MAS doesn't require each collider to have a single hard-coded behavior - each collider can have a behavior attached to it depending on what page the MFD was displaying.

For instance, I've got simple displays in the MRK display that cycle between modes by "tapping" on the screen.

You can have a single set of controls that selects what's displayed on multiple MFDs, but that requires each MFD to have a unique pre-determined identifier (like "MFD1", "MFD2", etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

Provided each MFD was a separate prop, yes, you can have multiple panels set to arbitrary pages.  Controls for the MFDs ideally are part of the MFD's prop (meaning the controls that change pages or otherwise do something specific to an MFD).  If there are colliders set over the MFD screens, you can even emulate touch screen behavior.  The touch screen capability would be pretty flexible, since (unlike RPM) MAS doesn't require each collider to have a single hard-coded behavior - each collider can have a behavior attached to it depending on what page the MFD was displaying.

 For instance, I've got simple displays in the MRK display that cycle between modes by "tapping" on the screen.

You can have a single set of controls that selects what's displayed on multiple MFDs, but that requires each MFD to have a unique pre-determined identifier (like "MFD1", "MFD2", etc).

Oh shoot, now I'm going to have to do that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Provided each MFD was a separate prop, yes, you can have multiple panels set to arbitrary pages.  Controls for the MFDs ideally are part of the MFD's prop (meaning the controls that change pages or otherwise do something specific to an MFD).  If there are colliders set over the MFD screens, you can even emulate touch screen behavior.  The touch screen capability would be pretty flexible, since (unlike RPM) MAS doesn't require each collider to have a single hard-coded behavior - each collider can have a behavior attached to it depending on what page the MFD was displaying.

For instance, I've got simple displays in the MRK display that cycle between modes by "tapping" on the screen.

You can have a single set of controls that selects what's displayed on multiple MFDs, but that requires each MFD to have a unique pre-determined identifier (like "MFD1", "MFD2", etc).

Awesome, I will do some digging then. Thanks for the info. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MAS v0.14.0 is now available on GitHub.  This is a large update with many new features, a number of fixes, and a couple of quality-of-life changes for people trying to make props for MAS (especially if you're trying to convert ASET props or another props pack where you reuse the same model for many props).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so what will happen if i install this with RPM? i just wanna know if i can use this with b9 and such as well with stock pods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MB62 said:

so what will happen if i install this with RPM? i just wanna know if i can use this with b9 and such as well with stock pods

You can install both at the same time.  If the IVA is configured with RPM, it will work the same.  If it's configured for MAS, it uses MAS

This mod:

uses both in the same IVA, with RPM prop placeholders while the modder configures MAS props.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so if i install RPM then MAS will work on it by defualt and overide the buggy RPM screens? i just want to make sure is all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MB62 said:

so if i install RPM then MAS will work on it by defualt and overide the buggy RPM screens? i just want to make sure is all

Ah.  No, it doesn't work like that.  Props designed to be used with RPM have to use RPM.  Props designed to use MAS have to use MAS.  MAS does not override RPM configs.  It is a completely new way of doing what RPM does.

I suppose someone could write Module Manager patches that replace RPM configs in the ASET props with MAS configs, which *would* let MAS work on RPM IVAs, but that would be an enormous undertaking (and certainly not one I have time to work on).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

I'm not sure why, but with MAS installed, docking ports just bounce off each other.  Removing MAS fixed the problem.

There's no reason MAS would do that (and it certainly doesn't in my environment) - it doesn't alter anything in the docking port module.  Your log has a number of exceptions from other mods, but the only things I see MAS doing are messages that there aren't any MAS-enabled vessels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.