Weekly Aircraft Development Competition

On 2017/7/8 at 9:44 PM, MiffedStarfish said:

With the votes in, and the polls closed, I'm happy to announce the winner of the Amphibious Transport Competition is... @Vexnium's  CA600N Humpback! Congratulations! You get to set next weeks specifications.

As you wish

Week 7:

Topic: Gliding

9Trkhku.png

You are to design a glider provides pastime to Astronauts and/or for tourist to KSC

To test, you can choose the starting point —— on mountain peak, tow by another plane or even take-off itself.

In KSP, you can not soaring a Glider with thermal column or any other advanced aerodynamics, so the engines

are unprohibited, but you must ensure that the aircraft is gliding unpowered.

Crew: at least one pilot.

Range: able to tour around KSC

Speed, weight and size are unlimited as long as its capable to glide.

Edited by Vexnium

Introducing the Falcon Mk. I!

The first entry into the glider category, this little beast weighs in at 2 tons and costs only 12,000 Kerb-bucks (Minus rocket cart*)

* - Rocket Cart not necessary to take off, just makes it faster and more fun to do so

um2sTe4.png

A nice image of the glider and the cart both in effect, Jeb approves of this take off tactic.

AWALzDj.png

The cart propels the glider to a speed of ~100 meters/sec before detaching and coasting to a stop to be used again, the glider continues on as normal.

YIAWXcX.png

Just a picture showing that even though there is an engine, she can actually glide quite well.

mxM968Y.png

Buzzing the R&D Building.

5qVG07f.png

The Falcon landed next to the propulsion cart.

The craft is dangerously quite agile, and Saget Aerospace Industries takes no blame for any injuries/burns caused by this device

damn I was off this week :/ gone for travel and planned to stay in Russia til next Thursday.

I will try to finish the badge in this week, but unfortunately I'm unable to finish my glider.

It's finished.

21 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

The poll I just made is unneeded. :)

How would people feel about diversifying the specifications from "planes" to "everything in atmosphere"?

Absolutely great idea!

Edited by Vexnium

11 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

How would people feel about diversifying the specifications from "planes" to "everything in atmosphere"?

Including rockets? Might need to start imposing more range/deltav requirements

23 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Well, the title is Weekly Aircraft Development thread. Good idea anyway.

Week 8

Aircraft Type: Rocket Plane

——————————————————————————————

Description: Jeb, Bill, Bob and Val, for some reason, managed to destroy the last jet by "accident". Gene was rather furious; how can he build planes now? Then, Wernher had a crazy idea. Use rocket engines! 

Requirements: You must build a rocket plane that could take off under it's own power, fly for at least 6 minutes, and glide back to the Runway or make a trip to the Old Airbase. 

The rocket plane has to have at most 2 LFO engines. LFO engines, in fact, are the only ones allowed in this challenge, since @Stratzenblitz75 wasted all the SRB's on his Eeloo mission. 

Restrictions:

Altitude limit: None, you may go suborbital.

Speed limit: None, you may hit hypersonic speeds.

Weight limit: 50t, any heavier and efficiency drops. 

Design limit: No part clipping that involves fuel clipping. 

After 3 craft have been submitted, they will (hopefully) be analyzed by me. The winner will be the one who hits the highest altitude, speed, and burn efficiency. 

So may the best one win!!! 

Edited by Joseph Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.