Weekly Aircraft Development Competition

10 hours ago, Skylon said:

Hmmm... it seems the only way to do this without huge wings for slow stall speed is VTOL. I would build a vtol but I have this currently unsolved problem

I am having that same problem. My father said it is because the scoll wheel is malfunctioning; not sure if it is true. It also happens outside KSP, like YouTube volume sliders. I combat that by right-clicking a few times to remove that problem temporarily.

20 minutes ago, drtricky said:

I'd like to participate, but I've never worked with stock weapons before. How can I attach the missiles and bombs to my aircraft?

Look at my f-9. It uses structural hardpoints.

2 hours ago, drtricky said:

I'd like to participate, but I've never worked with stock weapons before. How can I attach the missiles and bombs to my aircraft?

I attached a backwards nosecone and decoupler to the wings of the aircraft

Edited by Skylon

There are a lot of ways to do it, assuming you're using my missiles I put up for download you could radially attach an oscar-B tank to the surface you want the missile on, as the most basic way. I personally offset junior docking ports and cover up the bad looking end with a nose cone.

Here is the proving mission. Since there hasn't been a lot of entries, and I know at least one person is still working on a plane, I'm going to keep allowing submissions.

"Alright listen up. 3 destroyers have been spotted 45km out of the KSC. The only line of defense is the ASC-1 Floating Fortress, which is currently stationed of the coast of the Island Runway. Your mission is simple: You are to take your new naval fighter and land it on the Floating Fortress, and optionally refuel. Then you must take off and destroy or damage one of the destroyers with your missiles, and return to the Floating Fortress.

Due to the complexity of the mission, and the fact that carrier landings can be dodgy, quick saves are allowed. 

Tip: when trying to destroy the destroyers, I would recommend using one of the guided missiles that you can download on the first post, they can be easily guided in with the prograde marker and the target marker, even if you have no experience in stock combat it should only take 2 or 3 attempts.

Save File download: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ck83kyjov3xquk/AAD793NcZOzIGcfk-T3PNP6Ca?dl=0

For those in 1.3, open up the persistent.sfs file and change the first line to 1.3.

Poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/13199108

Enjoy! :)

Edited by MiffedStarfish

8 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I'm guessing it will be able to land in 50m, due to big wings=low stall speed, but it does looks to wide.

In-game shows its width is 9.2 meters, although I'll admit I forgot to test landing distance. Are parachutes allowed? Because even though it has a stall speed of ~30 m/s, I'm still worried it might not make it without parachutes.

Edited by drtricky

This was a cool piloting mission.  I had a fighter that can fairly easily flip itself vertical and hover on its engine, so it would be easy to land on the carrier.  I added some hardpoints and air-to-ground missiles, I forgot about the bomb requirement but I added a picture at the end showing the 4 hardpoints can be used for either.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.