KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

42 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

If you have Near Future installed that is normal.

1 minute ago, Liquid5n0w said:

If you have near future electric installed KSPI will adapt it's numbers to near future levels.  Live with it or uninstall near future electric.  Search this thread for more details about it.

Yeah, thank you guys, I am already digging in the thread.

2 hours ago, DarckArchon said:

Ill look it up on the nozzle size and liquid nitrogen, as for reactor i thought only the Salt and Pebble would work with the Thermal Launch Nozzle, i just can't believe it can burn up 5000 units of Liquid Fuel and only give off 500 delta V.

Were you using the nozzle in the atmosphere? In contrast to stock KSP, the trust and Isp is not derived from some imaginative float curve but calculated at real time based on the atmospheric static pressure. This means if you can barely overcome static pressure, Isp and trust will be horrible. You can compensate by making the nozzle smaller, use a launch nozzle, or only use it in space only

Edited by FreeThinker

Not sure why, but I keep getting stuck on WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/AntimatterReactors/AntimatterReactor/TweakableAntimatterReactor when loading ksp. Any idea how this could be fixed? I`m running ksp 1.2.2 with mods seen in these screenshots. 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/18tt0a1ahuhep8m/Screenshot 2017-02-12 18.49.38.png?dl=0   2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5up1iwjdc9eajk/Screenshot 2017-02-12 18.49.58.png?dl=0    3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/agpsvzp74petu0z/Screenshot 2017-02-12 18.50.08.png?dl=0    4: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltadsxeuxpieu0f/Screenshot 2017-02-12 18.50.11.png?dl=0 .

EDIT: Output log link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t66uqsjnnd7ncxr/output_log2.txt?dl=0

Edited by saqib126

Dyson Swarm:Phase 1 [Project Code Name: Wardenclyffe]

So, our Kerbals have entered the Thorium age. They have accomplished high output cheap energy. Along with it has come the rediscovery of a long lost technology developed by the famous Kesla himself. A means of wireless energy transmission through space. Naturally our Kerbals have decided that solar power isn't sufficient any longer and the need for a more reliable and consistent power network is eminent.

I present to you only one of a vast number of possible solutions to this problem. I do not insist that my methods are the best or most well researched. In fact I am open to constructive criticism and input.

Spoiler

Imgur Album

WBEN0W9.png

iXRVp1Q.png

So as to avoid entirely high-jacking the thread I will be posting most of the relevant technical info on Imgur Album image captions. I will do this in phases and slowly buld up a sort of guide or reference point for others baffled by the beamed power system. So, if you are one of those people book mark the Imgur album and stay tuned into this thread, maybe I can demystify some of this stuff. Things to note I am using mods and will update the pic captions with info about specific parts and the mods the come from if not included in the list below.

Mods:

KSPIE (obvioiusly)

NFT, electrical, propulsion, contrstruction, spacecraft

MKS, most of the USI line-up

SSTU (with stock parts )

KIS/KAS, MechJeb, KER,

RLA StockaLike

Dr. Jet's Chop Shop

Mk iv Spaceplane Parts

Procedural Parts

Procedural Wings

The list goes on.......

So the creative minds at the KSC have devised a plan to build a series of towers around the planet they will each consist of four (4) 3.75m Molten Salt Reactors. Not quite the pinnacle of our fission technology but a reliable and versatile reactor. This tower will have a 3.75m deployable phase array microwave transmitter atop it tuned to the Ka bandwidth. This will send around 40MW [NFTE nerf] of energy into space, and the planetary atmosphere; don't worry out scientist assure us that any temperature increase will be nominal over background and only barely affect the winters on Kerbin. These ground stations needn't be littered about, 3-4 on the equator and 1 on each pole will suffice for our purposes.

This is not unlike Earth, we live in a bubble of radio waves. Only our Kerbals have decided that instead of just downloading the lasted Crush Saga on their kPads wirelessly they can also charge them too! And, power their vehicles, and entire economy with free abundant wireless power. Welcome to the end of Capitalism.

To accompany these ground based station a orbital network of satellites will be required. Each of these satellites will function as a relay; making the entire power network available planet wide and beyond. However, Bob Kerman has run the numbers and determined that our broadcast range will be vastly limited beyond low Kerbin orbit and has suggested a second layer of transmission satellites.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Watch this post for updates over the next 48 hours.

Edited by Aaron Also
I work 58Hours a week and have an 18 month old daughter. I rarely get time to do anything for myself right the first go around. .

The New IModular ISRU Parts:

rJ7nbnE.png

Each part will perform a subset of the ISRU tasks.

The ISRU Processor converts raw mined resource into molecular  resources,

the ISRU Electrolyser break down complex molecules  into more basic molecules

and the ISRU converter synthesize more complex molecules from more basic molecules

Edited by FreeThinker

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

The open cycle mode engine tend to be slower, this is because it takes some time before the reactor get at full power. An inherent problem with solid core nuclear reactor is that takes half a minute before they at full power. BY contrast the pebble bed not have this problem

I'm using antimatter reactors though.  I don't see why hydrazine would react faster than atmosphere?  they're both fluids, a fuel flow valve would work much the same way in either case, no?  Essentially it makes these engines useless for VTOL in atmospheric mode; I used to use ATILLA for this, but now those no longer can use atmosphere as propellant...

54 minutes ago, saqib126 said:

Not sure why, but I keep getting stuck on WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/AntimatterReactors/AntimatterReactor/TweakableAntimatterReactor when loading ksp. Any idea how this could be fixed? I`m running ksp 1.2.2 with mods seen in these screenshots. 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/18tt0a1ahuhep8m/Screenshot 2017-02-12 18.49.38.png?dl=0   2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5up1iwjdc9eajk/Screenshot 2017-02-12 18.49.58.png?dl=0    3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/agpsvzp74petu0z/Screenshot 2017-02-12 18.50.08.png?dl=0    4: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltadsxeuxpieu0f/Screenshot 2017-02-12 18.50.11.png?dl=0 .

EDIT: Output log link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t66uqsjnnd7ncxr/output_log2.txt?dl=0

You must have extracted something wrong. make sure you extracted the folders content of Gamedata in Gamedata, and not Gamedata folder itself, otherwise you end up with a Gamedata  subfolder inside Gamedata, and that will result in the problems you describe.

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

You must have extracted something wrong. make sure you extracted the folders content of Gamedata in Gamedata, and not Gamedata folder itself, otherwise you end up with a Gamedata  subfolder inside Gamedata, and that will result in the problems you describe.

Strange, I installed via CKAN kinda expected it would install correctly, anyways i`ll try installing manually.

I`m now able to play ksp! I updated interstellar in CKAN to the latest version( now with the version with .6 on the end), downloaded that version via the link on the first post in this thread, and then coped gamedata(from the zip) into my ksp directory and overwrote as it asked.(it went to about 20% before it asked so it seems ckan has the wrong files or something)

Edited by saqib126

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Were you using the nozzle in the atmosphere? In contrast to stock KSP, the trust and Isp is not derived from some imaginative float curve but calculated at real time based on the atmospheric static pressure. This means if you can barely overcome static pressure, Isp and trust will be horrible. You can compensate by making the nozzle smaller, use a launch nozzle, or only use it in space only

Actually i used it in space well above the atmosphere, it drains the fuel too fast and produces verry little delta V (the ship was just a Probe Core, a Fuel Tank, thermal generator, thermal reactor and the thermal launch nozzle)

3 hours ago, Liquid5n0w said:

So does that mean that the ATILLA gets higher ISP the lower it is throttled? I've noticed the opposite I believe.

No, Isp is in reverse, the higher throttle gets, lower the isp gets., the lower the throttle, the higher Isp you gets. The maximum Isp is near minimum throttle. This way you can conserve power by going slow. If used with persistent thrust, it allows you to maximize your vessel DeltaV

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker I updated and now my ISRU I have already inplace can't process solar wind anymore? and Regolith processing doesn't output Deuterium either?

EDIT: oh, Solar wind is now in the ISRU menu instead of directly on the part, that is a bit of a drag.  But Deuterium should be in the regolith along with He3 correct?

Edited by Liquid5n0w

1 hour ago, Liquid5n0w said:

@FreeThinkerBut Deuterium should be in the regolith along with He3 correct?

Deuterium currently isn't produced from the regolith resource (based on lunar regolith). If you think that is incorrect and can provide some scientific evidence to support that, we can always add it. But the plan is to eventually rework regolith collection to produce different elements based on where the regolith was mined from (and thus make the regolith resource more of a universal abstraction) anyway - so on some planets, regolith will be rich in some elements and not others.

He3 and He4, on the other hand, are currently produced from regolith.

@FreeThinker I updated and now my ISRU I have already inplace can't process solar wind anymore? and Regolith processing doesn't output Deuterium either?

EDIT: oh, Solar wind is now in the ISRU menu instead of directly on the part, that is a bit of a drag.  But Deuterium should be in the regolith along with He3 correct?

Correct, but why would pressing a menu button be a drag?

4 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Correct, but why would pressing a menu button be a drag?

The issue there is that I could process solar wind and Regolith at the same time with one part, now it needs two parts.  Not much of an issue though because of the new hex parts are so modular and sweet.  That was a really good idea @EvilGeorge.

7 minutes ago, EvilGeorge said:

Deuterium currently isn't produced from the regolith resource (based on lunar regolith). If you think that is incorrect and can provide some scientific evidence to support that, we can always add it. But the plan is to eventually rework regolith collection to produce different elements based on where the regolith was mined from (and thus make the regolith resource more of a universal abstraction) anyway - so on some planets, regolith will be rich in some elements and not others.

He3 and He4, on the other hand, are currently produced from regolith.

As for Deuterium in the Regolith, I though the logic was that it would have the same resources as Solar wind, as it would come from trapped solar wind products?  Also I find it hard to believe that the regolith would have so much hydrogen, lots of He4 and a bit of He3 and not even trace amounts of Deuterium.  Actually you should expect trace amounts of lithium and Boron too right?

I just started using Fusion power and I noticed that the Tri-Alpha built in generator upgrades it's efficiency at highEnergyScience instead of highPowerElectricalSystems like the separate genny does?

3 minutes ago, Liquid5n0w said:

The issue there is that I could process solar wind and Regolith at the same time with one part, now it needs two parts.  Not much of an issue though because of the new hex parts are so modular and sweet.  That was a really good idea @EvilGeorge.

As for Deuterium in the Regolith, I though the logic was that it would have the same resources as Solar wind, as it would come from trapped solar wind products?  Also I find it hard to believe that the regolith would have so much hydrogen, lots of He4 and a bit of He3 and not even trace amounts of Deuterium.  Actually you should expect trace amounts of lithium and Boron too right?

According to this source: https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0909/0909.1279.pdf

Measurements carried out with a crude, early laboratory model of the experiment indicated that
for a D/H ratio in the solar wind of 10^(-5), and an instrument entrance aperture of 10^(3)
cm^(2), the deuteron count rate would be about one count per sec in the slow solar wind (Floyd
and Scherb 1966).

So that what I applied

Edited by FreeThinker

20 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

The New IModular ISRU Parts:

All-in-one refinery is still there and old asymetrical refinery is removed? Is that right, or i shouldn't instal Interstellar via CKAN?

And by the way, did the old refinery consume megajoules, while the new ones are fine with EC?

Edited by Kosach-

I'm afraid I can't take credit for any of that :) Modular approach to ISRU in KSPI-E was Freethinker's idea and the hex ISRU parts are parts from a different mod altogether. I only provided two of the new models, the converter and the electrolyzer that Freethinker showed off in an image a few posts back :)

Edited by EvilGeorge
typo

1 minute ago, EvilGeorge said:

I'm afraid I can't take credit for any of that :) Modular approach to ISRU in KSPI-E was Freethinker's idea and the hex ISRU parts are parts from a different mod altogether. I only provided two of the new models, the converter and the electrolyzer that Freethinker showed off in an image a few posts back :)

Well in that case, thanks @FreeThinker that was a really great change to ISRU, and very timely for my playthrough!

1 hour ago, Kosach- said:

All-in-one refinery is still there and old asymetrical refinery is removed? Is that right, or i shouldn't instal Interstellar via CKAN?

And by the way, did the old refinery consume megajoules, while the new ones are fine with EC?

the asymmetrical refinery is indeed soft deleted, the model didn't make any sense to me. Any KSPI ISRU Refinery is able to operate with either MJ or Electric Charge

Edited by FreeThinker

37 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

the asymmetrical refinery is indeed soft deleted, the model didn't make any sense to me.

Oh, that's quite a shame. Indeed, it was strange, but it also looked cooler, provided some challenge in terms of designing a craft with it and it wasn't another boring cylinder - hell, everything is cylindrical in this game. I agree, that sometimes it's rather annoying, but now with modular ISRUs it's not the case. What would make sence to me is to have that inconveniently shaped model for the all-in-one refinery (the best functionally, the worst in shape), and current all-in-one's model as large processor. Not that it's current model is that bad on it's own, but next to other Interstellar's stuff it looks ridicilous.

Or not, what do i know. After all, i think, i can swap a couple of models myself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.