KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

I read the explanation about How to be a Science Farmer and it seems the ability to process the data on multiple station seems like an exploit which could kill science gathering. I could simply launch a stack of Processing Labs, create a processing lab village on minimus and then bring all my science to the Processing lab village to process for lots of science.

Edit:

I studied the new ModuleScienceLab and ModuleScienceConverter a bit and I think I can modify them using KSPI Science Module to control their values, turning them into a Reseach Processing Lab on steriods. It would of course require a lot of Power and staffing to make it effective but it should be possible. Perhaps I can also fix the repeated processing exploit, by building a global library which keeps track of all processed science.

KSPI Reseach Processing Lab, will be like the BIG SCIENCE version of KSPI small, low grade science lab , with larger storage capacity, higher science Caps and Scientist Bonuses

Edited by FreeThinker

Several problmes with scales and rescales in new version:

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 800, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]Reactors report[/TD]

[TD]Engines report[/TD]

[TD]Tweakscales report[/TD]

[TD]Actual size[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Small molten salt[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.875[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]"Sethlans" PB[/TD]

[TD]1.875[/TD]

[TD]1.875[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.875[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Omega Fusion[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.875[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Large Fusion[/TD]

[TD]2.5*[/TD]

[TD]2.5*[/TD]

[TD]2.5[/TD]

[TD]2.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Antimatter initiated[/TD]

[TD]3.75[/TD]

[TD]3.75[/TD]

[TD]2.5[/TD]

[TD]3.75[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

*Reactor and engines always think that reactor is 2.5 even with rescaled to 3.75 or 5.

Large molten salt, dusty plasma and antimatter reactor are ok.

And I can't remember if "Akula" PB was so big.. It reports 2.5 but fits tightly in 3.75 fairing (tweakscale and engines report 2.5 too)

BTW antimatter initiated reactor is still with upsidedown nodes, so i change them manually after each update...

Anyway thanks for your hard work with this mod.

Several problmes with scales and rescales in new version:

[TR]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]Reactors report[/TD]

[TD]Engines report[/TD]

[TD]Tweakscales report[/TD]

[TD]Actual size[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Small molten salt[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.875[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]"Sethlans" PB[/TD]

[TD]1.875[/TD]

[TD]1.875[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.875[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Omega Fusion[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]1.875[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Large Fusion[/TD]

[TD]2.5*[/TD]

[TD]2.5*[/TD]

[TD]2.5[/TD]

[TD]2.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Antimatter initiated[/TD]

[TD]3.75[/TD]

[TD]3.75[/TD]

[TD]2.5[/TD]

[TD]3.75[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

*Reactor and engines always think that reactor is 2.5 even with rescaled to 3.75 or 5.

Large molten salt, dusty plasma and antimatter reactor are ok.

And I can't remember if "Akula" PB was so big.. It reports 2.5 but fits tightly in 3.75 fairing (tweakscale and engines report 2.5 too)

BTW antimatter initiated reactor is still with upsidedown nodes, so i change them manually after each update...

Anyway thanks for your hard work with this mod.

Great, this is the kind of Test Reports I need! You are the best!

Edited by FreeThinker

Are the radiators working with the new heat system? I've tested with a bunch of hot nervas and it seems like waste heat resource is only building up in the solar panels, normal heat generated from the engines does not count and therefore is not radiated by the radiators. Furthermore, extending them do does not change radiation values. Any update on that? Is there a plan to have waste heat integrated into the stock heat system? Seems a bit odd to have two different 'temperatures' working separately. Probably this would come later on, I'm just curious if this has been noted by the current mod devs.

Are the radiators working with the new heat system? I've tested with a bunch of hot nervas and it seems like waste heat resource is only building up in the solar panels, normal heat generated from the engines does not count and therefore is not radiated by the radiators. Furthermore, extending them do does not change radiation values. Any update on that? Is there a plan to have waste heat integrated into the stock heat system? Seems a bit odd to have two different 'temperatures' working separately. Probably this would come later on, I'm just curious if this has been noted by the current mod devs.

Yes but only with a VISTA engine. This is actualy a unintended side effect. If no one else will, I will create a simple heat pump module which will convert KSP heat to WasteHeat which can be radiated away like normal. You only would have to install it on the part that have overheating issues with a MM script, like on the LV-N. Frankly I'm a bit surprized no one had created this yet.

Edited by FreeThinker

Thank you so much for the swift response.

Yes, some kind of simple conversion would be fairly simple and not break things too much. I've noticed this while designing my Jool system grand tour vehicle, installed some radiators only to find out that they were utterly useless :) I have two 4xnerva clusters and as you would imagine, they are kinda hot... I mean real hot :) So before trying out the other options I wanted to make sure the problem is not in me. Thanks again and hope to see a quick fix soon.

Yes but only with a VISTA engine. This is actualy a unintended side effect. If no one else will, I will create a simple heat pump module which will convert KSP heat to WasteHeat which can be radiated away like normal. You only would have to install it on the part that have overheating issues with a MM script, like on the LV-N. Frankly I'm a bit surprized no one had created this yet.

How is this done? Can it be applied to all parts with a FINAL MM patch?

How is this done? Can it be applied to all parts with a FINAL MM patch?

is kspheat treated like a resource? is the built-in converter module capable of consuming kspheat? I know it can produce heating...

OK folks, I would love it if anyone has has this issue would help me out, I install KSPI extended just like in the instructions, install boris 0.90, install tweakscale, then overwrite with KSPI extended. I never get any parts in my game, no matter how many installs I do. I'm on a mac. yes I have the latest kSP, module manager and tried several fresh KSP installs with only KSPI extended, no other mods. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there some trick to the install? One thing that doesn't make sense is you have to install boris .90, then the files from KSPI extended overwrite all those boris .90 files you just installed. Is this part of the problem?

OK folks, I would love it if anyone has has this issue would help me out, I install KSPI extended just like in the instructions, install boris 0.90, install tweakscale, then overwrite with KSPI extended. I never get any parts in my game, no matter how many installs I do. I'm on a mac. yes I have the latest kSP, module manager and tried several fresh KSP installs with only KSPI extended, no other mods. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there some trick to the install? One thing that doesn't make sense is you have to install boris .90, then the files from KSPI extended overwrite all those boris .90 files you just installed. Is this part of the problem?

KSP Boris has all the part models and textures, KSPI-Extended is just config files and settings, so you need both.

I've never had a problem with parts not appearing.

Have you tried sandbox mode? Have you installed Techmanager?

KSP Boris has all the part models and textures, KSPI-Extended is just config files and settings, so you need both.

I've never had a problem with parts not appearing.

Have you tried sandbox mode? Have you installed Techmanager?

So do i need to pick and choose the files that go into gamedata? When I download boris I have folders for open resource system, ORS resource pack, techmanager and warp plugin. When I downlaod KSPI extended I get the same folder names, but some of the content are different. In step 4 of the installation instructions, it says to let the files overwrite the boris ones. This means the boris .90 folders will be completely overwritten, not combined or anything.

So do i need to pick and choose the files that go into gamedata? When I download boris I have folders for open resource system, ORS resource pack, techmanager and warp plugin. When I downlaod KSPI extended I get the same folder names, but some of the content are different. In step 4 of the installation instructions, it says to let the files overwrite the boris ones. This means the boris .90 folders will be completely overwritten, not combined or anything.

I think that it will only overwrite files of the same name but will not touch any other files.

[h=2]Version 1.0.15 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2[/h] Released on 2015-05-12

• Electric Generator now split into 2 parts, the Thermal Electric Generator and the Charge Particle Electric Generator
  • Added Subcategory ElecticGenerators to KSPI Filter Extensions
  • Fixed Fusion Power Generation for scaled reactors
  • Fixed Tweakscaling Issues for reactors (Thanks to Khalkion)

Version 1.0.15 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2

Released on 2015-05-12

• Electric Generator now split into 2 parts, the Thermal Electric Generator and the Charge Particle Electric Generator
  • Added Subcategory ElecticGenerators to KSPI Filter Extensions
  • Fixed Fusion Power Generation for scaled reactors
  • Fixed Tweakscaling Issues for reactors (Thanks to Khalkion)

Thanks!

Any word of the Heat to WasteHeat conversion mod? I ask because Nertea is finalizing his HeatControl mod, and I'd like to use both Near Future Electrical and Interstellar's reactors with the same heating mechanics (KSPI radiators for NF-E reactors and vice versa).

Sorry Fixing KSPI Bugs and Releasing 1.1 Beta has top priority now. I simply have too much to do right now

Appreciate the hard work, FreeThinker. Any idea how long that beta will take? That will be a 1 part mod, right? Fully integrated? Will it also include a pass on part prices... or are you quite happy with where they are?

Kinda hoping all of my 4 major mods are done at the same time before I install them.

Actually, is there any particular reason I should wait for a fully integrated version? The current installation method works just fine with 1.0.2, right?

~Steve

Thanks!

Any word of the Heat to WasteHeat conversion mod? I ask because Nertea is finalizing his HeatControl mod, and I'd like to use both Near Future Electrical and Interstellar's reactors with the same heating mechanics (KSPI radiators for NF-E reactors and vice versa).

I asked today, he's aware of the issue I think, waiting for that fix too.

@Nubage: Just saw your post. For a MAC you need to merge folders since an overwrite is going to replace the entire folder (i.e. you won't have Boris's files that have the required dlls and such). The installation instructions assume Unix / Windows install base.

@Freethinker Congrats on the release. Looking at the fusion generator fix. Does that mean that the smaller (0.625 meter) Fusion generators will produce more power than the laser requires now?

Some feedback regarding the NF integration (Information is based on previous version. Just saw the update now and will test tonight). Swapping over to megawatt vs gigawatt generators makes all the later tech (really all the tech period) in KSPI completely underpowered. (talking 0.00001 kN thrust using an antimatter reactor and plasma engine on an extremely basic setup. Setup is a 2.5 meter command pod, 2.5 meter x 1 meter Xenon-filled procedural tank, KSPI large electric generator [direct conversion], 2.5 meter antimatter reactor [changed to 120 megawatts vs 120 gigawatts due to NF integration {I ended up removing that integration file due to this reduction in capability}]). Hope this feedback helps!

@Nubage: Just saw your post. For a MAC you need to merge folders since an overwrite is going to replace the entire folder (i.e. you won't have Boris's files that have the required dlls and such). The installation instructions assume Unix / Windows install base.

That's exactly what it was. Mac overwrites those folders. It takes a bit of effort but I just individually merged folders and now it works! Would be nice if the Boris .90 and KSPI extended folders were just merged before hand. Thanks for your help.

That's exactly what it was. Mac overwrites those folders. It takes a bit of effort but I just individually merged folders and now it works! Would be nice if the Boris .90 and KSPI extended folders were just merged before hand. Thanks for your help.

I wasn't aware Macs have this limitation, I will try to remind it next time a Mac user can't use a mod

- - - Updated - - -

Some feedback regarding the NF integration (Information is based on previous version. Just saw the update now and will test tonight). Swapping over to megawatt vs gigawatt generators makes all the later tech (really all the tech period) in KSPI completely underpowered. (talking 0.00001 kN thrust using an antimatter reactor and plasma engine on an extremely basic setup. Setup is a 2.5 meter command pod, 2.5 meter x 1 meter Xenon-filled procedural tank, KSPI large electric generator [direct conversion], 2.5 meter antimatter reactor [changed to 120 megawatts vs 120 gigawatts due to NF integration {I ended up removing that integration file due to this reduction in capability}]). Hope this feedback helps!

Well I haven't even verified if NF integration still works as it should. The fact that you find these problems after several weeks kind of illustrates how much this mod is actualy playtested despite the more than 10.000 downloads. Seems less then 1% is actually intrested in testing the mod. Of cource it could also mean that 99% doesn't give a damn.

- - - Updated - - -

@Freethinker Congrats on the release. Looking at the fusion generator fix. Does that mean that the smaller (0.625 meter) Fusion generators will produce more power than the laser requires now?

The OMEGA reactor are basicly just the smaller version of the large Fusion reactor with about similar performance (slightly less due to 3.2 scale factor). For both versions, the electric power requirements is 10% of base reactor power output. Fusion is supposed to be demanding and only start to realy shine after Exotic reactions are researched.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, is there any particular reason I should wait for a fully integrated version? The current installation method works just fine with 1.0.2, right?

The main features work as they should, it still might need some cost balancing, or improvement in the interface but it should be playable now. I intend to keep thing as much backward compatible, meaning I will not delete any part files, but you might not be able to rebuild design in the VAB, but existing vessels should be unaffacted

- - - Updated - - -

Appreciate the hard work, FreeThinker. Any idea how long that beta will take? That will be a 1 part mod, right? Fully integrated? Will it also include a pass on part prices... or are you quite happy with where they are?

Well I intend to make at least 1 Beta download. I hope this weeked I can finish the Beta. I will probably also continue to create dev builds which you have to install on top of the Beta install like it is now. The reason for this is that the full download is quite large, which cost me quite some time to upload. The dev build will be small and nimble. It allows me to continue to publish daily update/ fixes. After I get the feeling the Beta is ready for the big public, I will create a release thread.

Edited by FreeThinker

If you are talking about Near Future...

Just installed dev versions of NF propulsion and electrical.

NF engines properly use power from interstellar genrators (1to1 ratio). The only problem is that engines uses megajoules as second propellant, but production of generators is somehow hidden. So ingame delta-v calculations is not available. May be i should post this to Nertea...

Problems with NF electrical installed:

Large fusion reactor is not scaled down, other reactors are.

My test setup, all default sizes and fully upgraded, full throttle: antimatter reactor, charged particle generator, 8 large flat radiators

[TR]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]KSPI-E thrust[/TD]

[TD]NFe thrust[/TD]

[TD]Other problems with NFe[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Plasma Thruster[/TD]

[TD]163.69 kN[/TD]

[TD]2.135 kN[/TD]

[TD]Don't scalled down MAX power consumption[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]ATTILA Thruster 1.25[/TD]

[TD]2795 kN[/TD]

[TD]30.398 kN[/TD]

[TD]Don't scalled down MAX power consumption[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]ATTILA Thruster 62.5cm[/TD]

[TD]465.94 kN[/TD]

[TD]30.398 kN[/TD]

[TD]Dont' scalled down MAX power consumption

have the same mass as the big one[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Magnetic Nozzle[/TD]

[TD]407 kN[/TD]

[TD]58920 kN[/TD]

[TD]almost instatly burn all available fuel

can't be restarted after flame-out[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Vista engine[/TD]

[TD]1200 kN[/TD]

[TD]1200 kN[/TD]

[TD]overheats in a second at full throttle[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Also I suppose that something wrong with wasteheat storage scaling. With NFe installed all radiators become stable red in minutes while without NFe it can take hours. For example vista engine has 1.2kk wasteheat storage, but with NFe it is only 2400 and vista still has 10k production rate so overheats instantly.

And one more about wasteheat. May be not a bug... With installing NFe existing crafts with reactors are updated, but not the wasteheat storages. Even in VAB to properly update heatstorages on existing blueprints we have to remove appropriate part and place it again.

Edited by Khalkion

I made CKAN metadata files for this mod. Here is Github repo: https://github.com/A2K/KSP_InterstellarExtended_CKAN

The mod installed in such way seems to work correctly (game does not crash and lots of new parts are available), but I am new to KSP and I don't know what exactly this mod is supposed to add to game, so some stuff could be missing. This method does not install that weird toolbar, extended filters, TechManager, and fuel switch mods. I don't know if those mods are required for Interstellar to work correctly.

I was able to add the repository and get everything ready for install, but because I'm using SETI Community Tech Tree CKAN errors out with a conflict:

uUjQAc8.png

I grabbed the Intestellar mod to enhance SETI, so I understand there are some overlapping files. Just not sure what to do about this other than install Interstellar manually, which I'd like to avoid.

looking at the ckan file, you need to move the community tech tree and the community resource pack to dependencies - those mods are already in ckan independently. Anything in the 'depends' section will prompt ckan to install those things if they are not already installed. as it is you end up with conflicts.

also, if open resource system is being distributed as part of KSPI, then it should be in the install part, with proper paths (unless it is now in the warplugin directory). putting it in depends tells ckan to look for a separate ckan mod with that name, basically.

also, there is a third possible node there - 'recommended' (dont recall its format off the top of my head) - put CTT there, that way ckan won't gripe about CTT not being installed (or force-install it)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.