KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

That would be appreciated. There was a wiki once maintained by undercoveryankee - I wonder if that could be updated? Heck, I can try and help once I install the 1.0 version of KSPIE and play around with it. It would probably answer quite a few questions, especially in a FAQ.

Creating a wiki would be a great Idea. I would really appreciate it if someone could deliver me the text as I'm not much of a writer myself (and I make too many spelling errors, LOL).

[h=2]Version 1.0.9 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2[/h] Released on 2015-05-06

• Split Subcategory Utilities in Filter Extension for KSPI into Subcategories Reactor, Radiators, ISRU and Microwave Power
  • Improved Filter Extension for KSPI, AlcubierreDrive is moved from Fuel Tanks to Warp Engines
  • Fixed Vacuum Plasma propellant mode not being available in Space on upgraded Plasma Thruster
  • Fixed Density Vacuum Plasma
  • Improved Gas Core reactor ability to start more advanced Fusion reactions

KSPI-e 1.0.9

In the "InterstellarFuelSwitch" folder, under parts, you have a couple gas tanks that don't match up with the current fuel types.

InterstellarGasTank-PB-Stack.cfg & InterstellarGasTank-PB-X50R.cfg

resourceGui = Argon;CarbonDioxide;Hydrogen;Krypton;Neon;Nitrogen;Oxygen;Xenon;Nothing

resourceNames = ArgonGas;CarbonDioxide;Hydrogen;KryptonGas;NeonGas;Nitrogen;Oxygen;XenonGas;Structural

resourceAmounts = 224000;224000;224000;224000;224000;224000;224000;44800;0

Now, that particular part would be awesome (maybe re-textured so it doesn't look like the stock xenon tank) 'cause there isn't a tiny interstellar tank yet. (or just re-adjust the other 3 to be able to shrink down further, at least down to .625 for tiny drone like vessels)

I registered, just so I could ask this question. Lol.

Are there any supportive mods to have along with KSPI-e?

I feel like I'm missing some things, it would also be great if the stock parts all could be setup to hold the breadth of fuel sources made available by KSPI-e

Freethinker, great work on Vista engine. Those changes definitely answers most of my concerns on the engine.

@ToastyOats

Since KSPI makes your life much easier and fun think about using Far, deadly entry and remote tech.

Once updated, I would also recommend Kingtigers K2, which scales Kerbin and solar system to twise the size. With this size is still feels kile KSP but with increased chalange. we have to wait until RSS is updated to 1.0 first.

Edited by FreeThinker

The included version of Filter Extensions seems to break being allowed to use RoverDude's USI mod parts. How I have no idea, but swapping it with the 2.1.0 version on CKAN fixed the problem for me. Before those parts were locked off as if they had not been researched yet.

The included version of Filter Extensions seems to break being allowed to use RoverDude's USI mod parts. How I have no idea, but swapping it with the 2.1.0 version on CKAN fixed the problem for me. Before those parts were locked off as if they had not been researched yet.

Could you give a more precise report what was going wrong?

I am not Szara but if they are talking about the same thing I saw, I might be able to explain. There are Universal Storage slice-shaped parts (science experiments) that show up on a different tech node depending on wether or not KSPIE is installed.

Freethinker, great work on Vista engine. Those changes definitely answers most of my concerns on the engine.

Glad you like it. Could you give a more detailed report?

- - - Updated - - -

I am not Szara but if they are talking about the same thing I saw, I might be able to explain. There are Universal Storage slice-shaped parts (science experiments) that show up on a different tech node depending on wether or not KSPIE is installed.

Weitd, I don't change any exiting Universal Storage Wedges, I only add an additional universal storage fuel switch, allowing you to use any KSPI propellant in a conveniant storage location. Should be Ideal for ISRU conversions

HI, I would like to raise a question i already asked Roverdude in the Karbonite thread. When using the Karbonite Distiller it should (among other options) create LiquidHydrogen. However using your KSPI version and the Hydrogen Cryostat the Hydrogen is not stored (tried other lqd H2 tanks from Near Future with the same result). But this KSPI and Karbonite use CRP so why does it not fit?

Are you sure is is the resource "LqdHydrogen" and not "LiquidHydrogen" which is obsolete.

Well it's a 0.9 game and the Distiller calls it LH2. The tanks IIRC take LiquidHydrogen. So was it already obsolte in 0.9?

EDIT: It's called LH2 in the game context menu. In the .cfg it has a different name (LiquidHydrogen IIRC).

Edited by Manimal

Great work with new version!

Small fixes:

Antimatter initiated reactor has wrong nodes.

3.5 Antimatter contaiment device has wrong name. (should be 3.75)

And I don't know whether it is bug or my own problems, but tanks for expensive things such as deutherium and antimatter have something wrong with their prices. Antimatter contaiment devices have negative prices while empty and very low prices while full. (For example 1.25 module is -150kk worth while empty and only 40$ while full). I suppose that antimatter itself has proper value as it compensates negative value of tank to zero. BTW somewhere in this topis I've read that antimatter should not be available in VAB and only produced on a ship and then transported to where it is needed.

And about deutherium. Deutherium/tritium cryostat (radial one) has huge price, but deutherium itself has zero price(no matter full deutherium or empty - price is the same). Inline deutherium/tritium/hellium3 cryostat has proper value except his deutherium/trtitium mode which has negative price.

Edited:

With changing default for antimatter tanks from zero to full, prices for them are nearly ok (zero for empty ones and huge huge for full ones). But I couldn't find what to change for deuterium price... as definition in CommunityResourcePack is correct

Edited by Khalkion
some more experiments

Yes the antimatter devices needs some work, I will focus my attention on them for the next update

- - - Updated - - -

Well it's a 0.9 game and the Distiller calls it LH2. The tanks IIRC take LiquidHydrogen. So was it already obsolte in 0.9?

EDIT: It's called LH2 in the game context menu. In the .cfg it has a different name (LiquidHydrogen IIRC).

In the past I used NFT LiquidHydrogen resource, but we not use CRP / RealFuels LqdHydrogen resource, which is now the standard LiquidHydrogen resource. It's propably the most important resource except from the stocl LiquidFuel/Oxidizer resources.

I'm soory it had to change in order to conform to Common Resource Pack 0.4. You are not expected to make it work with an old 0.9 Save without extensively editing the savegame

Edited by FreeThinker

Well the Original Vista Design is 170 meter wide, our Vista is only 3.75m wide, it simply doesn't have the surface area to do everything, it needs help from external radiators!

I'm now actually use a combination of KSPI Wasteheat management and KSP Native Heat Dissipation. The Dissipation is technically altered by hthe performance of KSPI Waste Heat system.

You need some serious Waste heat management ( about 4 Upgraded Large Flat Radiators at scaling) to Handle the Waste Heat generated by the Fusion reaction.

http://i.imgur.com/fmuedVG.jpg

Notice, the Heat buildup is stable at 98% of maximum Heat of the VISTA engine.

- - - Updated - - -

I heard that are some serious game balance issues with AntiMatter Farming, as it effectively breaks the economic Model. I intend to fix this somehow. Perhaps something with decrementing returns, that way it could give you a large but limited economic boost, and not totally break it.

Fair enough. I'd recommend then a very minor amount integrated into the appropriate reactors so as to permit them to get off the ground without needing another set of engines (and to enable very-late game SSTO's from Kerbin).

Also, the VISTA is well-balanced, thank you. It retains the advantages of awesome delta-v (for when you need to drive it like you stole it), but the heat dissipation mechanic is a fair challenge to off-set it.

Done some more testing with tanks... So here is the list.

Radial ones:

ThF4 tank has zero cost, the ThF4 itself applies cost correctly.

Uranium Nitride tank - the same.

Lithium tank - the same.

UF4 tank - looks like correct.

He3 and deutherium/tritium tanks have huge initial cost and very low impact whether they are full or empty.

Inline ones:

All three cryostats have capped their prices at one point (5000 for longer ones and 735 for short). Doesn't matter what is inside: if it is full it always costs the same, if we empty it - cost of the cryostate itself depends on type of internal liquid (with some liquids it is negative).

Antimatter containers:

Antimatter contaiment devices have negative prices, as I've mentioned above. But they also can contain kg of antimatter instead of g. (1.25 unit contain 10000 units what should be 10 grams according to original wiki but it is over 700 kilograms). Small antimatter bottle contains very tiny amount of antimatter and I suppose it works correct.

Reactors itself:

Molten salts and gas core have negative prices while empty. Correct prices while full of Enriched uranium and zero prices while full of ThF4.

Particle beds. Akula has zero price while empty. Sethlans and dusty plasma seem to cost correctly.

Large fusion reactor... I can't say is it intended but difference between full and empty is 217 credits.

Antimatter initiated reactor seems to cost correctly except for very low prices foe He3 and deutherium.

Antimatter reactor costs correctly as there is no tank inside...

BTW antimatter reactor costs 50000 (in cfgs and ingame), but thanks to antimatter contaiment devices and antimatter production its price seems to be balanced. However empty antimatter initiated reactor costs 650k and much smaller omega fusion reactor even 1kk. Is it intended?

Fair enough. I'd recommend then a very minor amount integrated into the appropriate reactors so as to permit them to get off the ground without needing another set of engines (and to enable very-late game SSTO's from Kerbin).

Technically, from the moment you get Particle Bed Reactors, you can make an SSTO. The Picture with a VISTA shows is a SSTO which used only a single VISTA to get into Orbit. I can be a bit tricky due to the lack of Gimbal. You are adviced to use some controlable fins to keep is stable

Also notice it uses 4 Large Flat radiators (Tech level 11) which have 4 Big advantages:

* Larges Heat Disapation / Mass (Mass scales with Surface Area)

* No deployment requirment, makes them effective in High atmosphere,

* Usefull as landing Gear

* Usefull as Atmospheric stabalisers

- - - Updated - - -

Done some more testing with tanks... So here is the list.

Radial ones:

ThF4 tank has zero cost, the ThF4 itself applies cost correctly.

Uranium Nitride tank - the same.

Lithium tank - the same.

UF4 tank - looks like correct.

He3 and deutherium/tritium tanks have huge initial cost and very low impact whether they are full or empty.

Inline ones:

All three cryostats have capped their prices at one point (5000 for longer ones and 735 for short). Doesn't matter what is inside: if it is full it always costs the same, if we empty it - cost of the cryostate itself depends on type of internal liquid (with some liquids it is negative).

Antimatter containers:

Antimatter contaiment devices have negative prices, as I've mentioned above. But they also can contain kg of antimatter instead of g. (1.25 unit contain 10000 units what should be 10 grams according to original wiki but it is over 700 kilograms). Small antimatter bottle contains very tiny amount of antimatter and I suppose it works correct.

Reactors itself:

Molten salts and gas core have negative prices while empty. Correct prices while full of Enriched uranium and zero prices while full of ThF4.

Particle beds. Akula has zero price while empty. Sethlans and dusty plasma seem to cost correctly.

Large fusion reactor... I can't say is it intended but difference between full and empty is 217 credits.

Antimatter initiated reactor seems to cost correctly except for very low prices foe He3 and deutherium.

Antimatter reactor costs correctly as there is no tank inside...

BTW antimatter reactor costs 50000 (in cfgs and ingame), but thanks to antimatter contaiment devices and antimatter production its price seems to be balanced. However empty antimatter initiated reactor costs 650k and much smaller omega fusion reactor even 1kk. Is it intended?

Good testing, I will try to fix them in the next patch

Edited by FreeThinker

Technically, from the moment you get Particle Bed Reactors, you can make an SSTO. The Picture with a VISTA shows is a SSTO which used only a single VISTA to get into Orbit. I can be a bit tricky due to the lack of Gimbal. You are adviced to use some controlable fins to keep is stable

Err, I meant to say, if I build an antimatter reactor/engine SSTO, I would hope it would come with a smidgeon of antiprotons (or whatever necessary resources) so I don't need to add other engines and tanks (which I don't need during normal operation) to it just to get it to space to fuel it and use it properly. That's all. It would be like having to fuel the NERVA starside before use - feasible, but a gameplay annoyance.

Agreed on the radiators - even if it was the extendable ones, the heat mechanic has always been fair.

Also a VISTA SSTO is hilariously insane. "What happened to all my KSC buildings?" "Jeb had a meeting and took the VISTA shuttle for expediency. There were no survivors." I believe I shall build one.

;1915866Also a VISTA SSTO is hilariously insane. "What happened to all my KSC buildings?" "Jeb had a meeting and took the VISTA shuttle for expediency. There were no survivors." I believe I shall build one.

This indeed an issue. Any time a Vista would be lauched, any kerbals in regular building would get bombarded by so much radiation that nothing would survive. All life for several kilometers would die. We have to assume they use subterrain nuclear bunkers and all personal above ground level would have abandon the base for several miles. THe problem is worse because due to neutron activation the building at the base would become radioactive for a period of time. :P

Yes the antimatter devices needs some work, I will focus my attention on them for the next update

- - - Updated - - -

In the past I used NFT LiquidHydrogen resource, but we not use CRP / RealFuels LqdHydrogen resource, which is now the standard LiquidHydrogen resource. It's propably the most important resource except from the stocl LiquidFuel/Oxidizer resources.

I'm soory it had to change in order to conform to Common Resource Pack 0.4. You are not expected to make it work with an old 0.9 Save without extensively editing the savegame

Is there any chance you'll make it so you could set up the Interstellar Tanks, and the Stock Tanks to hold their respective resources?

I.E the 25k Liquid Hydro interstellar tank tooled to carry equal parts of LF+O and the stock parts able to carry the myriad forms of Interstellar fuel?

[h=2]Version 1.0.10 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2[/h] Released on 2015-05-07

• Restored Antimatter original density and required storage space (1 unit = 1 mg)
  • Fixed Antimatter negative Cost in Fuel Tanks
  • Antimatter tanks will now show mass of Antimatter in VAB
  • Limited Antimatter tanks to Small and Large Antimatter Tanks
  • Added (free) Tweakscale support to Antimatter Tanks
  • Increased Mass 2.5m Dusty Plasma to 6

I thought I said it all. In the VAB/SPH those parts, all of the ones from RoverDude's USI mods that I had installed, no longer appeared under any filter. USI as a manufacturer remained as a selectable filter though, it was just empty. It seems to be due to the Filter Extensions which is included in the KSIE zip. The parts remained in the tech tree as normal and those which were already on ships functioned as normal, it was just impossible to place them (SPH/VAB) anymore. And any previously saved ship design which had USI parts was then marked as having locked/restricted parts, as if I hadn't unlocked the tech for them. Replacing the included Filter Extensions with the one on CKAN fixed these problems completely for me.

In short the message is just- I think it'd be nice if the 1.0.9 zip was updated to include a more recent version of Filter Extensions. Unless for some reason the one on CKAN is older than what you have, then well, not sure, but for anyone else having similar problems, Filter Extensions might be the cause. Somehow.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.