KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

[h=2]Version 1.0.8 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2[/h] Released on 2015-05-05

• Fixed VISTA engine exploding on initial usage
  • VISTA Engines is split into prototype version and upgraded version which becomes available with Advanced Fusion
  • VISTA engine absorb a Huge amount of Energy (up to 10GW) from neutron/x-ray Bombardment from the D-T Fusion which is converted into Wasteheat and KSP Heating
  • VISTA engine Heat buildup is constant regardless of throttle
  • VISTA ability to lose Heat buildup depends on performance of available Radiators.
  • Improved exhaust Vista (tanks to Citizen247)
  • Removed gimbal on VISTA engine
  • Added KSPI Filter Extension Subcategories for Radiators and Microwave Power *Updated Interstellar Fuel Switch to 0.8
  • Updated Module Manager to 2.6.3

I think I have a solution for this. The resource will be non tweakable but in Sandbox mode it will start filled.

Hey FreeThinker,

Is your heart set on this? Would you consider letting someone fill the tanks, but having AM cost a big amount? From a gameplay perspective, it'd be nice to launch AM-powered craft from the Launchpad without having to get them orbital first with another set of engines. I'd assume all that is needed is a trickle of antimatter to get there, at a luxuriant cost, but it would grant some flexibility. It could also be a means to make funds in-game (at the later stage), where the space infrastructure isn't so much needed as the funds are for building late-game craft. (And if you recover a craft full of AM, it would provide a sizeable refund which you could use to fuel another ship, etc, etc without having to wait forever to regain the AM you already harvested...)

Very good update, but as we've seen, the VISTA engine doesn't will to have thermal problem to the ship, due to it's own ability to dissipate that heat, IRL.

Well the Original Vista Design is 170 meter wide, our Vista is only 3.75m wide, it simply doesn't have the surface area to do everything, it needs help from external radiators!

I'm now actually use a combination of KSPI Wasteheat management and KSP Native Heat Dissipation. The Dissipation is technically altered by hthe performance of KSPI Waste Heat system.

You need some serious Waste heat management ( about 4 Upgraded Large Flat Radiators at scaling) to Handle the Waste Heat generated by the Fusion reaction.

fmuedVG.jpg

Notice, the Heat buildup is stable at 98% of maximum Heat of the VISTA engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey FreeThinker,

Is your heart set on this? Would you consider letting someone fill the tanks, but having AM cost a big amount? From a gameplay perspective, it'd be nice to launch AM-powered craft from the Launchpad without having to get them orbital first with another set of engines. I'd assume all that is needed is a trickle of antimatter to get there, at a luxuriant cost, but it would grant some flexibility. It could also be a means to make funds in-game (at the later stage), where the space infrastructure isn't so much needed as the funds are for building late-game craft. (And if you recover a craft full of AM, it would provide a sizeable refund which you could use to fuel another ship, etc, etc without having to wait forever to regain the AM you already harvested...)

I heard that are some serious game balance issues with AntiMatter Farming, as it effectively breaks the economic Model. I intend to fix this somehow. Perhaps something with decrementing returns, that way it could give you a large but limited economic boost, and not totally break it.

Edited by FreeThinker

Hey FreeThinker,

Im pretty happy with it how it is. If you dont want AM in the tank on launch dont put any in, but taking away the option to do so would be annoying.

Hey FreeThinker you are doing an absolutely phenomenal job with this mod!

I skimed back through the last 10 pages or so and see that you said you are planning on getting some sort of integration going with the stock heating system, this would be fantastic and would open the door for using things like the NFT radiators with KSPI.

If you weren't aware Nertea is working on a pretty awesome system getting his nuclear stuff working with the stock heat system and it is looking really really good, you should check it out, it would be awesome to see both these mods using compatible interworking heat systems.

cheers

Good call to remove the gimball from the vista engine, making it a little less OP, without taking away that lovely deltaV!

The incredible DelltaV is realsitic, the Gimbal is not. The VistaEngine should be more balanced now as it has significant Higher Thermal requirements (or allows only short burns) and is less nimble in maneuvering.

But what about the improved Magnetic Nozzles, has anyone tried them yet?

Edited by FreeThinker

Good evening gentlemen.

I still have no luck with the engines eighter. The Plasma engine shows the same behaviour as the Magnetic nozzle. It gets no trust at all. It seems it stuck in the default quantum vaccum mode regardless what fueel type you toggle. It let you no options in the VAB to setup anithing nor shows it any stats as the rocket nozzle does and keep state its type as Quanten vacc engine.

I tried to narrow it down and got an interesting result for you FreeThinker. If I remove the Folder 000_Toolbar from the Gamedate folder it gets really messd up. The tanks reactors or generators loose all GUIs or setup buttons, I gess you know better wy, BUT the engine miraculously works 0.0

Maybe this helps you with you great modding work.

So, is this mod functional now? still shows as incompaitable in the mod compatibility thread. Dont want to break my save after getting my MKS mun base all set up =).

I would guess about 60% is functional now, it will need several days of bug fixing before it's stable to release a beta

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I tried converting everything again, and for some reason it worked this time. Strange.

Anyway, everything is now converted, and loading doesn't get stuck. I used the dds converter from @Lilleman by the way (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98672-WIN-KSP-to-DDS-texture-converter)

It is simple to use, and works really well.

The link to the working conversion: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdzu8o7rfa4oqb3/KSPI-E%20dds%20conversion.zip?dl=0

I think I may have somehow messed up the compressed and the non-compressed files. I was playing around with the different options the first time, but I am now using non-compressed, for all, with 100% certainty.

Thanks for the work, I will use them as a base for my beta release

- - - Updated - - -

100% sure. I tryed it with multiple fuel types. The Engine let you switch propellants, but the Engine type stays.

Can anybody confirm this behavior?

I made a fresh install following my own precedure on a differnt computer and it works except for switching quantum vacuum mode.

Are you sure you connected everything right? which includes reactors, radiator, generator, fuel tanks, resources, fuel lines , plasma engine. There is a lot that can go wrong causing the engines to mallfunction.

Edited by FreeThinker

Good evening gentlemen.

I still have no luck with the engines eighter. The Plasma engine shows the same behaviour as the Magnetic nozzle. It gets no trust at all. It seems it stuck in the default quantum vaccum mode regardless what fueel type you toggle. It let you no options in the VAB to setup anithing nor shows it any stats as the rocket nozzle does and keep state its type as Quanten vacc engine.

I tried to narrow it down and got an interesting result for you FreeThinker. If I remove the Folder 000_Toolbar from the Gamedate folder it gets really messd up. The tanks reactors or generators loose all GUIs or setup buttons, I gess you know better wy, BUT the engine miraculously works 0.0

Maybe this helps you with you great modding work.

I have had the opposite problem with plasma thruster. Can switch to any propellent except quantum vac. no problem.

Scaling up in size the engine stats remain static retaining the 1.25m values. I will experiment with the magnetic nozzle and let you know.

Vista seems to be working as intended.

Will the AM tanks regain scalability? I have been looking over github changes and still trying to connect tweakscale functionality to do so myself. Probably should just read the docs.

I have had the opposite problem with plasma thruster. Can switch to any propellent except quantum vac. no problem.

The Idea was that quantum vacuum is not available in the atmosphere, but the condition to test if your in an atmosphere remains true even when in space. It will be fixed in the next version

Edited by FreeThinker

Does the Engine need auch dircet fuel line from the tank? Exept that I tried as many combinations I can think of. The Engine shows power consumption but keep still fixed in the Qv mode. And as I state with removed toolbar it's crazy but working. Anyhow if I am the only one with this trouble, pls don't bother ^^

I simply needs acces to it's fuel. One reason why you might have access to it is because the definition is missing, meaning CRP are not updated.

Btw: WOOT more than 10.000 downloads for the WIP :cool:

Edited by FreeThinker

What do you expect with that fabolus work you are doing ^^

I checked the fuel access as you mentioned. It does kinda work... it drains power, states that it has 100% Fuel, the power drain respond to the throttle control. But 0 thrust, no impulse. You may check the attaches screenshot.

view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3S6YRtGQtcsNGdQZVlvb3h5SDA/view?usp=sharing

General question, is it supposed to have a gui in the VAB like the rocket nozzle? It is kinda odd that nobody else have this issue... God I love computers....not ^^

What do you expect with that fabolus work you are doing ^^

I checked the fuel access as you mentioned. It does kinda work... it drains power, states that it has 100% Fuel, the power drain respond to the throttle control. But 0 thrust, no impulse. You may check the attaches screenshot.

General question, is it supposed to have a gui in the VAB like the rocket nozzle? It is kinda odd that nobody else have this issue... God I love computers....not ^^

Wait a second. You are trying to use an Huge plasma thruster at sea level! Didn't you know that won't work due to atmospheric presure? This might have worked in the past when it wasn't correctly implemented but now unless you got some serious power (antimatter) to generate thrust, it won't generate any thrust. To fix it, simply scale down the Electric engine! It should create a smaller surface aea of the exit area, allowing you to generate thrust in the atmosphere. Bigger is therefore not always better. In the future I will add some gui that tells your static presussure is too low to generate any thrust.

I think I'm going to post a few check list, because people will continue to run into noob problems

Edited by FreeThinker

Since I just released the SETI-CommunityTechTree, I added KSPI Extended to the supported mods list.

So if you want to start with probes instead of capsules for your KSP Interstellar Extended game, this is one of the options.

Darn -.- In fact I didn't know that... But I have to admit, it makes a whole lot of sence from an engineering point of view.

Thats wy I love this game and its mods so much ^^

Sorry to trouble you FreeThinker.

Wait a second. You are trying to use an Huge plasma thruster at sea level! Didn't you know that won't work due to atmospheric presure? This might have worked in the past when it wasn't correctly implemented but now unless you got some serious power (antimatter) to generate thrust, it won't generate any thrust. To fix it, simply scale down the Electric engine! It should create a smaller surface aea of the exit area, allowing you to generate thrust in the atmosphere. Bigger is therefore not always better. In the future I will add some gui that tells your static presussure is too low to generate any thrust.

I think I'm going to post a few check list, because people will continue to run into noob problems

That would be appreciated. There was a wiki once maintained by undercoveryankee - I wonder if that could be updated? Heck, I can try and help once I install the 1.0 version of KSPIE and play around with it. It would probably answer quite a few questions, especially in a FAQ.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.