KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

I will make the AM mass scale with Surface area, similar to collection rate. That way it should be fair.

EDIT: I just noticed sometung very unbalanced, the Antimatter collector do not seem to use any power when collecting antimatter. How are these big electromagnetic magnets supposed to work at all. From magical power?

- - - Updated - - -

And speaking of dependencies, what about my second question?

There is nothing tweaked about them (the ommunity Tech Tree and Filter Extensions folders contents), your not supposed to do that. I did add some additional filters and CTT tweaks, but they are added with some MM script in the Patch folder of KSPI-E

Edited by FreeThinker

YAY KSPI-E is now doesn't need KSPI-M, My PSU was on the friz and my computer kept retarting so I went and change over the power supply turned on my computer without the screen on and I it seems like it was trying to run a repair on the MRB but because my screen was off I couldn't tell.

Anyways meant I had to reinstall EVERYTHING! so I have had to reinstall KSP which means reinstalling all the mods.

I have an issue with the radiators. In two different KSP install, everytime I try to attach any kind of Heat Radiator (the red one), in VAB and SPH too, KSP goes crazy. They don't attach to anything, and if I try more and more, KSP freeze completely. If i delete the radiators, I'm still unable to attach anything more. I have to exit from KSP. Is this a know issue?

And a question too, Filter Extension is a suggestion or totally requested?

YAY KSPI-E is now doesn't need KSPI-M, My PSU was on the friz and my computer kept retarting so I went and change over the power supply turned on my computer without the screen on and I it seems like it was trying to run a repair on the MRB but because my screen was off I couldn't tell.

Anyways meant I had to reinstall EVERYTHING! so I have had to reinstall KSP which means reinstalling all the mods.

why do you mean by KSPI-M?

- - - Updated - - -

I have an issue with the radiators. In two different KSP install, everytime I try to attach any kind of Heat Radiator (the red one), in VAB and SPH too, KSP goes crazy. They don't attach to anything, and if I try more and more, KSP freeze completely. If i delete the radiators, I'm still unable to attach anything more. I have to exit from KSP. Is this a know issue?

And a question too, Filter Extension is a suggestion or totally requested?

Filter Extension is not an absolute requirement, but it can make KSPI more enjoyable by allowing you to quickly find the KSPI part you are looking for.

Not sure if I understand your Radiator problem, Sounds like some mod , messed up your KSP installation. I suggest you remove the last once, are remove all Mod folders except SQUAD

Edited by FreeThinker

Like the changes so far Freethinker. The generator differentiation actually makes sense now and two different models let you know at a glance which is which. But I have been unable to create a custom radiator since v1.1. I can create the file and it loads fine, model behaves as expected, the stats are listed as specified in the cfg, but when launched the wasteheat value is wrong, as in low and if I have six radiators added mirrored only one shows if I mouse over the wasteheat resource. How is the waste heat value being calculated if not from the cfg? I have used a fresh copy of ksp etc.

I noticed in change logs that you modified radiators to function with other mods but cant view the commits to the WarpPlugin.v12.suo (too large view raw) to see. It is making me very sad.

edit. nvm I found "[TABLE=class: diff-table tab-size-8]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-code blob-code-addition] part.Resources[FNResourceManager.FNRESOURCE_WASTEHEAT].maxAmount = part.mass * 1.0e+5 * wasteHeatMultiplier;[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by Blackbeard

With deadly re-entry the Thermal Terbojet with liquid fuel overheats and explodes if you run it at full power I don't know if this behaviour exists in stock also I'll test it later but I'm tired right now, is this a bugs or... a feature... Because it seems like an annoying feature if it is because blowing up your engines just because you run them for 5 seconds at full power is annoying at least having them throttle would be nice to stop them exploding.

I noticed it a bit while running in atmos mode but a pre-cooler fixed it so I assumed it was the same heating as before but more erratic, now when running it on liquid fuel it overheats which I don't think thats supposed to happen.

Also Omega Fusion Reactor is still 1 mill, its fine if you want to keep it that way its just you said you would change it, and it doesn't make much sense in the light of the standard larger fusion reactor being so much cheaper, as I said raising the price of the standard fusion reactor is also a choice which would make sense considering the fuel for it is so cheap and the reactor and the Gas Core Reactor is slightly more expensive so a rise to 500k or somewhere there about would be within reason, then that makes sense that a miniaturized version would be that much more expensive.

Then that makes the progression more sensible for the Gas Core, Large Fusion Reactor, AIM and Omega Fusion Reactor Gas core + fuel 260k Large Fusion reactor 500k AIM + fuel "excluding antimatter" 725k Omega Fusion Reactor 1m

Just a suggestion.

Edited by etheoma

I noticed in change logs that you modified radiators to function with other mods but cant view the commits to the WarpPlugin.v12.suo (too large view raw) to see. It is making me very sad.[TABLE=class: diff-table tab-size-8]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-code blob-code-addition][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You should ignore the WarpPlugin.v12.suo file. It just some personal Visual Studio file generated every time I open the editor. I tried to put it in the list of files that should be ignored but GitHub ignores my request for unknown reason. So the best thing you can do is just ignore and ignore your own suo files as well by removing them first before you want to Synchronize

- - - Updated - - -

Also Omega Fusion Reactor is still 1 mill, its fine if you want to keep it that way its just you said you would change it, and it doesn't make much sense in the light of the standard larger fusion reactor being so much cheaper, as I said raising the price of the standard fusion reactor is also a choice which would make sense considering the fuel for it is so cheap and the reactor and the Gas Core Reactor is slightly more expensive so a rise to 500k or somewhere there about would be within reason, then that makes sense that a miniaturized version would be that much more expensive.

Then that makes the progression more sensible for the Gas Core, Large Fusion Reactor, AIM and Omega Fusion Reactor Gas core + fuel 260k Large Fusion reactor 500k AIM + fuel "excluding antimatter" 725k Omega Fusion Reactor 1m

Just a suggestion.

Actually, I didn't get around of updating yet. I have to focus on game breaking bugs before I could look at cost balance. But your sertainly raise some valid points there. I already put some ideas on the reactor table on the OP, which you should take a look at.

Edited by FreeThinker

You should ignore the WarpPlugin.v12.suo file. It just some personal Visual Studio file generate every time I open the editor. I tried to put it in the list of file that should be ignored but GitHub ignores that I want to ignore it. So just ignore and ignore your own sue files as well by removing them first before you want to Synchonise

Lol recursive ignore incoming. I am not overly familiar with C# but I am slowly working on putting a windows vm on this machine (hard to get excited about windows) to install a vis. stu. copy on.

Hmmm maybe wine can run VS? From memory it doesnt...google... older versions do. VM it is.

It is amazing how much better a VM windows is! Happy to play in the sandbox while a grown up OS does the real work .

So something really, really strange is going on with my install. When I start KSP, it crashes during the load (not because it's hit the memory limit, I'm running Linux x64).

Specifically, it crashes when trying to load two specific files in the WarpPlugin/UITextures folder: MicrowaveTransmitter.png and MicrowaveTransmitter_selected.png

I've confirmed this by removing each of them, and upon removing these two files (and NOTHING ELSE), KSP starts just fine. If either is present, KSP crashes when it tries to load them (even after renaming them, although that may not be surprising either).

This is a heavily modded install, and I haven't gone through the trouble of testing without any other mods yet, but still.... .png? What could conflict? There's no other files with that name in any of the GameData folders... My mind is thoroughly boggled.

I have absolutely no idea what could be causing this, or what could help determine that. I could just live without these icons, but regardless, I think you should know what's happening, in case there's some sort of underlying issue.

Edit: I guess this is what I get for late night bugfixing.... found the solution, needed to update my libpng. Dunno if this'll help anyone else, but I needed to run "apt-get install libpng-dev" and it fixed it. In case there's anyone else here who just moved over to Linux for the 64-bit version, you'll probably need to do this too.

Edited by Drake1500
Fixed

Ok, fresh KSP install, no other mods, just Interstellar. Something weird it's happening: No toolbar, no Interstellar GUI, no thermal VAB or everithing else. Tried and re-tried, no solutions founded.

Here's my output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcstdu0jhh7ry92/output_log.txt?dl=0

Add Tweakscale. In my case it behaved similar on clean testing instance of KSP.

found small typo in thermalrocketnozzle.cfg

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 1.5

emissiveConstant = 0.8 // engine nozzles are good at radiating.

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 12

breakingForce = 800

breakingTorque = 800

maxTemp = 2750

emissiveConstant = 0.85

heatConductivity = 0.01

found small typo in thermalrocketnozzle.cfg

I doesn't seem to have any negative effect, I think the second is used, at least that was my intention. I will remove the first

Edited by FreeThinker

Weird, but deleting those two files:

WarpPlugin/UITextures/MicrowaveTransmitter_selected.png

WarpPlugin/UITextures/MicrowaveTransmitter.png

made the whole thing go without any issues. Before that it did crash on regular basis just as "MicrowaveTransmitter" did show up on loading screen (last entries in log were from PlanetResourceData).

I'm on a Linux64 version of KSP with 143 folders in my GameData folder.

Edit:

Also in VAB ExceptionDetector and Debug Tool goes nuts while picking any Alcubierre drive engine throwing a constant spam of:

[EXC 15:03:50.041] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Part.GetConnectedResources (.Part origin, Int32 requestID, ResourceFlowMode flowMode, Int32 resourceID, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 connectedResources)

Part.GetConnectedResources (Int32 resourceID, ResourceFlowMode flowMode, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 Resources)

Propellant.UpdateConnectedResources (.Part p)

ModuleEngines.UpdatePropellantStatus (Boolean doGauge)

ModuleEngines.FixedUpdate ()

Not sure if it is caused by some other mod conflict.

Edited by Ald

So something really, really strange is going on with my install. When I start KSP, it crashes during the load (not because it's hit the memory limit, I'm running Linux x64).

Specifically, it crashes when trying to load two specific files in the WarpPlugin/UITextures folder: MicrowaveTransmitter.png and MicrowaveTransmitter_selected.png

I've confirmed this by removing each of them, and upon removing these two files (and NOTHING ELSE), KSP starts just fine. If either is present, KSP crashes when it tries to load them (even after renaming them, although that may not be surprising either).

This is a heavily modded install, and I haven't gone through the trouble of testing without any other mods yet, but still.... .png? What could conflict? There's no other files with that name in any of the GameData folders... My mind is thoroughly boggled.

I have absolutely no idea what could be causing this, or what could help determine that. I could just live without these icons, but regardless, I think you should know what's happening, in case there's some sort of underlying issue.

Edit: I guess this is what I get for late night bugfixing.... found the solution, needed to update my libpng. Dunno if this'll help anyone else, but I needed to run "apt-get install libpng-dev" and it fixed it. In case there's anyone else here who just moved over to Linux for the 64-bit version, you'll probably need to do this too.

both files MicrowaveTransmitter.png and MicrowaveTransmitter_selected.png, is something I added very recently. I was not aware they are capable of crashing the game

Updating libpng didn't change anything in my case. Also note that there are other pngs in the directory that work fine. Last time I had a game crashing problem with some mod, the cause was a texture that had one dimention that was not a power of 2. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Maybe its something with linux being case sensitive? Microwavetransmitter.png or microwavetransmitter.png? Haven't tested that yet,

- - - Updated - - -

FunFact: I did open both pngs in Gimp and overwritten them with themselves with like an 8 on compression setting. It did work for me. Whole game loaded to main menu :)

Edited by Ald

Now that is interesting I have 2 copies of ksp 1.02 (linux x64) and both have had problems crashing on startup failing at the planet resource .png files. A restart would fix it most of the time, but even though both copies are identical it happens to one more than the other! Will try lib update thx Ald for the headsup.

I doesn't seem to have any negative effect, I think the second is used, at least that was my intention. I will remove the first

Indeed not but a change in code down the track...

In the same vein I am having game freeze issues using ship manifest to xfer interstellar fuels between interstellar tanks.

Looking over log I have multiple instances of

[WRN 22:30:44.736] [TweakScale Warning] InterstellarFuelTank-NoseCone(Interstellar Fuel Nose Tank) has no valid scale factors. This is probably caused by an invalid TweakScale configuration for the part.

TweakScale.Tools:LogWf(String, Object[])

TweakScale.TweakScale:CheckForInvalidCfg()

TweakScale.TweakScale:Update()

[LOG 22:30:44.736] [TweakScale]TweakScale{

_invalidCfg = True

_setupRun = True

isFreeScale = True

0 scaleFactors =

tweakScale = 1.25

currentScale = 1.25

defaultScale = 2.5

}

[LOG 22:30:44.736] [TweakScale]ScaleType {

name = stack_interstellar

isFreeScale = True

5 scaleFactors = 1.25 1.875 2.5 3.75 5

5 scaleNames = 1.25m 1.875m 2.5m 3.75m 5m

8 incrementSlide = 0.01 0.025 0.025 0.025 0.05 0.05 0.1 0.1

5 TechRequired = advRocketry heavyRocketry heavierRocketry veryHeavyRocketry experimentalRocketry

defaultScale = 2.5

followed by one block of

[LOG 22:30:45.436] DragCubeSystem: Rendering procedural drag for InterstellarFuelTank-X200-96

[LOG 22:30:45.445] InsterstellarFuelSwitch parseDoubles: invalid float: [len:0] '']

[LOG 22:30:45.472] DragCubeSystem: Rendering procedural drag for mediumDishAntenna

[LOG 22:30:45.496] DragCubeSystem: Rendering procedural drag for InterstellarFuelTank-X200-48

[LOG 22:30:45.507] InsterstellarFuelSwitch parseDoubles: invalid float: [len:0] '']

[LOG 22:30:45.539] DragCubeSystem: Rendering procedural drag for InterstellarFuelTank-X200-48

[LOG 22:30:45.550] InsterstellarFuelSwitch parseDoubles: invalid float: [len:0] '']

[LOG 22:30:45.581] DragCubeSystem: Rendering procedural drag for InterstellarFuelTank-X200-48

[LOG 22:30:45.593] InsterstellarFuelSwitch parseDoubles: invalid float: [len:0] '']

[EXC 22:30:46.792] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.

Parameter name: index

System.Collections.Generic.List`1[stageGroup].get_Item (Int32 index)

Staging.sortIcons ()

and finally ending with the log being filled with Mbytes of

[LOG 22:42:15.144] [ORS] Loading atmospheric data from pack: InterstellarAtmosphericPack

which is where I assume the freeze is occuring.

so far and I promise Freethinker I will start just using git to report changes.... I found

SCALETYPE

{

name = surface

_interstellar

freeScale = true

defaultScale = 1

in GameData/InterstellarFuelSwitch/Tweakscale/FuelSwitchScaleType.cfg

So I prefer the older custom Interstellar tech tree over the new, insanely complex and expensive Community Tech Tree; is there any way to get back to the Unofficial KSP-I tech tree?

Delete the CommunityTechTree folder from your GameData folder and it should be fine.

FunFact: I did open both pngs in Gimp and overwritten them with themselves with like an 8 on compression setting. It did work for me. Whole game loaded to main menu :)

Interesting. Could you please send me fixed file, then I can use it in the next version

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.