KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

The way it works right now is that you have to use KSPI reactors, and for those to work, you have to use KSPI radiators. I want to make Microwave relays work with Electric Charge and stock Heat.

In the past you could use Electric Charge. I had many little probes with many Large Solar Panels around Kerbol, transmitting energy all over the System.

About the Stock Heat, I think it's just matter of coding it, but I don't know the way to make it...

Freethinker I have a ship using four plasma thrusters mounted around a central tank. I have both CO2 and N2 on board. Using N2 I get different amounts of thrust and spinning ship. Switching to CO2 or Vac. Plas.results in even thrust. Intended or Bug?

Make sure all of the thrusters are switching to the same resource.

In the past you could use Electric Charge. I had many little probes with many Large Solar Panels around Kerbol, transmitting energy all over the System.

About the Stock Heat, I think it's just matter of coding it, but I don't know the way to make it...

Are you telling me, that if I hook up a Near Future Reactor to a Microwave Relay, it'll transmit electric charge?

Also, I think I saw mention of Freethinker adding a Wasteheat-to-heat patch somewhere for Near Future Integration.

Never tried with NF reactor, but you could use solar panels, so... Why not?

Also in the Interstellar Quest by Scott Manley, there were a probe with many Large Solar Panel for energy transmission in Low Kerbol Orbit.

Just try it...

Never tried with NF reactor, but you could use solar panels, so... Why not?

Also in the Interstellar Quest by Scott Manley, there were a probe with many Large Solar Panel for energy transmission in Low Kerbol Orbit.

Just try it...

Setting up a clean install with only NF-Electrical and KSPI in a bit.

In the OP, section "Improved integration with many other Plugins and Standards:", there is a link to an outdated version of TweakScale (v1.51.1). It should better point to the forum thread or the general kerbalstuff page.

[h=2]Version 1.1.7 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2[/h] Released on 2015-05-18

• Thermal Engine overheating will now adjust to thrust output
  • Added precooler to nacelleBody
  • Restored precooler ability to connect with radial connected air intakes
  • Integrated ORS into KSPI

- - - Updated - - -

In the OP, section "Improved integration with many other Plugins and Standards:", there is a link to an outdated version of TweakScale (v1.51.1). It should better point to the forum thread or the general kerbalstuff page.

Good point, and glad someone actualy reads some of the stuff writen there

- - - Updated - - -

It should still work, and I intend to improve it, making it a bit easier to setup, control and maintain

- - - Updated - - -

Freethinker I have a ship using four plasma thrusters mounted around a central tank. I have both CO2 and N2 on board. Using N2 I get different amounts of thrust and spinning ship. Switching to CO2 or Vac. Plas.results in even thrust. Intended or Bug?

KSPI does not support mirrowed engine switching yet. You have to switch all engines to the same propellant, otherwise the trust will be uneven too much

Okay, but why no implementation with the stock tree? It would be just as easy to implement.

KSPI parts are partly put into stock node, but for more futuristic part like high tech reactor, they really need higher tech nodes, as their power is nothing like the stock engines. KSPI part are made for end games, when you have largely unlocked most of the techtree.

Edited by FreeThinker

I just got a kraken attack on 1.1.6 with a science lander with a molten salt reactor, brayton cycle gas turbine generator, and two flat radiators. The reactor/generator were scaled down to .625 meters and the flat radiators were scaled down by 50%. The first sign of trouble was wild rotation after coming out of time accel. A few moments later, the generator tore itself away at mach 1 million. I was able to land the rest of the ship on battery power and get the crew out safely.

Was anything added to 1.1.7 that could have prevented this? Any ideas otherwise? Thanks.

Further info: The following information appears in the debug screen:

[Warning]: [TweakScale Warning] No valid member found for partMass in FNGenerator

TweakScale.Tools:LogWf(String, Object[])

TweakScale.MemberUpdater:Create(Object, String)

TweakScale.ScaleExponents:UpdateFields(Object, Object, ScalingFactor, Part)

TweakScale.ScaleExponents:UpdateObject(Part, Part, Dictionary`2, ScalingFactor)

TweakScale.TSGenericUpdater:OnRescale(ScalingFactor)

TweakScale.TweakScale:Setup()

TweakScale.TweakScale:OnLoad(ConfigNode)

PartModule:Load(ConfigNode)

Part:LoadModule(ConfigNode, Int32&)

ProtoPartModuleSnapshot:Load(Part, Int32&)

ProtoPartSnapshot:Load(Vessel, Boolean)

ProtoVessel:LoadObjects()

Vessel:Load()

Vessel:MakeActive()

FlightGlobals:setActiveVessel(Vessel, Boolean)

FlightGlobals:SetActiveVessel(Vessel)

FlightDriver:Start()

Edited by mciann
a decimal

I just got a kraken attack on 1.1.6 with a science lander with a molten salt reactor, brayton cycle gas turbine generator, and two flat radiators. The reactor/generator were scaled down to 6.25 meters and the flat radiators were scaled down by 50%. The first sign of trouble was wild rotation after coming out of time accel. A few moments later, the generator tore itself away at mach 1 million. I was able to land the rest of the ship on battery power and get the crew out safely.

Was anything added to 1.1.7 that could have prevented this? Any ideas otherwise? Thanks.

Not likely. Have you made a copy of the log files? It's the only thing hat might prevent a future attack

Edited by FreeThinker

Note likely. Have you made a copy of the log files? It's the only thing hat might prevent a future attack

That sounds like a line that should be from a fanfic, desperately yelled by a despairing scotty rip-off.

EDIT:

which, by the immutable laws of internetting, probably exists within an hour or so, if does not already.

EDIT EDIT:

I wonder if my stating that increased the probability that that statement is true? does this second addendum also do the same? gahhh.

Edited by ABZB

Note likely. Have you made a copy of the log files? It's the only thing hat might prevent a future attack

I'm not sure how to do that. I do have a quicksave that will reproduce the problem 100% of the time, however.

Dumb Question: I'm just getting started with this mod, and I've been looking at the molten salt variety of reactors. What are they good for? I can't seem to build a vessel with dramatically better ISP/dV than a Nerva.

Is there a "KSPI extended ship swap" thread somewhere I can't find?

Dumb Question: I'm just getting started with this mod, and I've been looking at the molten salt variety of reactors. What are they good for? I can't seem to build a vessel with dramatically better ISP/dV than a Nerva.

Molten Salt Reactors are good for producing not so much energy for a very long time. You can use them with Thermal Turbojet in the beginning. Later in the game, with better reactors and better engines, you'll be able to build some incredible ships...

Here's a test I did:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Mods installed:

KSPI-Extended 1.1.7

Near Future Electrical latest build

Tweakscale (wan't used)

Hyperedit

Impressions: Relays only detect solar panels and KSPI reactors as a power source. No other forms of generating electricity works with them. Also, receivers are broken.

Molten Salt Reactors are good for producing not so much energy for a very long time. You can use them with Thermal Turbojet in the beginning.

So would I use them to replace a NERVA on an interplanetary mission, like to duna? Or should I be putting them on ascent/descent stages somehow?

Thanks for the reply!

I can't find anything of use, were there clipping parts on the vessel?

Not that I could tell. I'll doublecheck to be sure. Are the tweakscale errors not of concern?

[WRN 14:48:11.529] [TweakScale Warning] SmallMoltenSaltReactor(Molten Salt Reactor) has no valid scale factors. This is probably caused by an invalid TweakScale configuration for the part.

TweakScale.TweakScale:CheckForInvalidCfg()

TweakScale.TweakScale:Update()

[LOG 14:48:11.530] [TweakScale]TweakScale{

_invalidCfg = True

_setupRun = True

isFreeScale = True

0 scaleFactors =

tweakScale = 0.625

currentScale = 0.625

defaultScale = 1.25

}

[LOG 14:48:11.531] [TweakScale]ScaleType {

name = stack_interstellar

isFreeScale = True

6 scaleFactors = 0.625 1.25 1.875 2.5 3.75 5

6 scaleNames = 0.625m 1.25m 1.875m 2.5m 3.75m 5m

8 incrementSlide = 0.01 0.025 0.025 0.025 0.05 0.05 0.1 0.1

6 TechRequired = nuclearPower nuclearPower nuclearPower largeNuclearPower largeNuclearPower largeNuclearPower

defaultScale = 1.25

}

[WRN 14:48:11.532] [TweakScale Warning] SmallFNGenerator(Thermal Electric Generator) has no valid scale factors. This is probably caused by an invalid TweakScale configuration for the part.

TweakScale.TweakScale:CheckForInvalidCfg()

TweakScale.TweakScale:Update()

[LOG 14:48:11.533] [TweakScale]TweakScale{

_invalidCfg = True

_setupRun = True

isFreeScale = True

0 scaleFactors =

tweakScale = 0.625

currentScale = 0.625

defaultScale = 2.5

}

[LOG 14:48:11.533] [TweakScale]ScaleType {

name = stack_interstellar

isFreeScale = True

6 scaleFactors = 0.625 1.25 1.875 2.5 3.75 5

6 scaleNames = 0.625m 1.25m 1.875m 2.5m 3.75m 5m

8 incrementSlide = 0.01 0.025 0.025 0.025 0.05 0.05 0.1 0.1

6 TechRequired = largeElectrics largeElectrics largeElectrics largeElectrics specializedElectrics specializedElectrics

defaultScale = 2.5

}

Same as Nansuchao said... those starter reactors are still useful even at the end of the tech tree. Nothing is better for long term (decades) low power output. I use them on my signature warp tugs to maintain/power my antimatter containment.

You want to see what KSPI can do? Check out the grand tour in my sig. You'll be impressed how such a tiny ship can do so much... and that was FAR from optimal. Done back in 0.7 or 0.8 right before Thermal Turbojets.

~Steve

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.