Gameslinx

[1.3] VERY SMALL FIX - Lag when looking at the ocean PATCH

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone. This is a very simple "mod", more of a patch, which will help the lag when looking at the ocean from space.

This doesn't fix lag at sea level, as the ocean lag is purely dependent on your hardware, so don't expect it to be 100% gone. This patch works by lowering the ScaledVersion and PQS fadeStart, fadeEnd and deactivateAltitude. The ocean completely unloads at 70,000, when you get to space in this patch. Before, it was 160,000.

DEPENDENCIES:

DOWNLOAD:

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT CURRENTLY EXPERIENCE LAG WHEN  LOOKING AT THE OCEAN, THIS PATCH IS NOT NEEDED AND WILL HAVE 0 EFFECT ON YOUR GAME. This patch is aimed at people with low spec PCs with either an integrated GPU, or an old one.

@lajoswinkler

Note to the Moderators: I had no idea where to put this thread, but making an addon release for it will bring more attention to it, meaning people suffering from this problem will see it easier. Feel free to move if needed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This mm cfg will actually work on nearly all KSP versions with the right MM and Kopernicus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Galileo said:

This mm cfg will actually work on nearly all KSP versions with the right MM and Kopernicus.

Definitely!

It should work for all KSP versions. I might need to add some more depth to the config to increase Kerbin's ScaledVersion quality as it's very pixellated at 70,000, but that would defeat the purpose of trying to get the most performance out of the mod :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Definitely!

It should work for all KSP versions. I might need to add some more depth to the config to increase Kerbin's ScaledVersion quality as it's very pixellated at 70,000, but that would defeat the purpose of trying to get the most performance out of the mod :)

Yeah. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Not much you can do there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent, thank you for putting this out like this, in a separate thread. Good work. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Excellent, thank you for putting this out like this, in a separate thread. Good work. :)

No problem :)

I just saw an opportunity to make a small patch out of this and release it for all to see, because I've heard of the problem before.

Again, this won't fix looking at the ocean from the ground, but it will fix the immense lag in LKO.

I don't experience this lag myself as I'm running a 1080, so I really need feedback on this :)

@Galileo , is it possible for me to increase the tiling on the oceans so that less texture tiles are rendered by the GPU at once, potentially increasing fps?

I'm not sure whether Kopernicus allows this, though

Edited by Gameslinx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My feedback - it works great. I can finally use the lowest orbital layer without any problems.

 

I do wonder what'll happen when Scatterer gets updated and I install it. I usually turn off its ocean and insted just use it for its original purpose, scattering light in atmosphere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

My feedback - it works great. I can finally use the lowest orbital layer without any problems.

 

I do wonder what'll happen when Scatterer gets updated and I install it. I usually turn off its ocean and insted just use it for its original purpose, scattering light in atmosphere.

It's wontbmake a difference. And, you can mess with the render height of scatterer ocean anyway if you needed to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.